The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-30-2015 08:16 AM
37 12
tools
    This has been going on (on and off) for months, but this last week it's been all but impossible to see my Lumia 520 from any of my PCs. I've tried different cords. This week, one time only I was able to write a file to the SD card. Now, I can't see the phone. On this PC occasionally I see the phone in Windows Explorer, but get a spinning wheel when I try to gain access (to write files, etc.). I need to write MP3s to the card, don't want to always have to take out the card to do so.

I sometimes have difficulty charging the phone but it's not as bad as the problem of not being able to see the contents on the phone or SD card.

Is this probably a hardware problem (i.e. the female plug in the 520 gone bad)?
    03-21-2015 11:18 AM
    Is this probably a hardware problem (i.e. the female plug in the 520 gone bad)?
    Yes.
    you should get it checked from a nearby nokia care. (They can fix it)
    that seems to be the problem after reading your question.

The female slot can get loose / contacts damage after frequent cable pull outs and put ins.
    03-21-2015 11:53 AM
    Looks indeed that your phones USB port (female plug in the 520 gone bad).
    If you still want to copy data you could use OneDrive or an app like dukto http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...a-24ac01d1550f
    Or Easy Transfer http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...b-577e92bbb236
    Daniel Gilbert M likes this.
    03-21-2015 11:55 AM
    Thank you. Those alternatives are interesting, but before I saw your post I called Amazon and they consented to replace the 520. I should have the replacement in 2 days (Monday). I am to send my current phone back to them. So, my question now is how do I set up the new phone with all my apps, settings, data?
    Last edited by dmusicant; 03-22-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    03-21-2015 12:12 PM
    So, my question now is how do I set up the new phone with all my apps, settings, data?
    Do backup from inside settings. This will backup all the app data and the settings. (to the cloud)
    for your music and other files on your sd card, you can transfer them either with a card reader or if you dont wanna do that and you have a router at home you can access the phone/sd card memory by using this app FTP server | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

When you receive the new phone just sign in and the settings/appdata etc will be automatically retrieved/restored.
    You can Transfer the music and other stuff back to sd card.
    when you get the new phone make sure that you first format your sd card from inside the phone after signing in and then only put the other files from pc back to sd card.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-21-2015 12:28 PM
    Uh, so you're saying I should start by copying data to HD from card, then reformat the 64GB microSD card (in the phone). Then sync with cloud to get apps/settings and then copy data back to card from HD?

Thanks!
    03-22-2015 08:25 AM
    I got new phone today. I'd checked Settings/Backup on the old phone and they were turned on, automatic backups. I didn't realize I could do a Backup Now, found that out later. I signed into my MS account on the new phone but it did not prompt me to restore from a backup. What do I do now??? I reinserted the SIM card and SD card in the old phone and did a Backup Now, but when I turn on the new phone (with the SIM and SD card back in it), I'm not prompted to restore from backup and I see nothing in the menus that allows me to restore from a backup. What to do????
    03-23-2015 08:11 PM
    I got new phone today. I'd checked Settings/Backup on the old phone and they were turned on, automatic backups. I didn't realize I could do a Backup Now, found that out later. I signed into my MS account on the new phone but it did not prompt me to restore from a backup. What do I do now??? I reinserted the SIM card and SD card in the old phone and did a Backup Now, but when I turn on the new phone (with the SIM and SD card back in it), I'm not prompted to restore from backup and I see nothing in the menus that allows me to restore from a backup. What to do????
    I guess you want to retain the SD card. you should have done the backup while the sd card was still in the old phone ( a manual backup).
    And it should have prompted you to restore as well. I dont know if the data on your memory card got corrupted or not.(old app data on old sd card wont be detected in new phone)
    But if you have both the phones at the moment use the transfer my data app.(with the sd card in the old phone).
    03-23-2015 08:43 PM
    I hadn't done a recent (i.e. manual) backup of the old phone when I turned on the new phone for the first time and signed into my MS account, however I figured there was a backup because auto-backup was enabled. The SIM and SD card were in the new phone when I first turned it on. However, I was not prompted to restore from a backup after signing in to my account. Instead I was asked if I wanted to do a backup now. Of course, I declined because the new phone had nothing new on it to backup. Having then been made aware that I could do a manual backup of the old phone, I put the SIM and SD card back in it and did a manual backup. Then I reset the new phone. After signing in, I was again prompted to back up, not restore and I declined.

How do I do a restore? I'm lost at the moment.
    Last edited by dmusicant; 03-23-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    03-23-2015 08:55 PM
    you should have proceeded with the backup since it was the only option (its just to turn on that feature).
    settings/apps can be restored only if backup is turned on (even in the new phone).
    03-23-2015 09:07 PM
    you should have proceeded with the backup since it was the only option (its just to turn on that feature).
    settings/apps can be restored only if backup is turned on (even in the new phone).
    That is so counter intuitive it's criminal. At Windowsphone.com it says https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/h...up-to-my-phone:

When you first set up your new phone, sign in using the same Microsoft account you used when you created your backup.
    Tip

Restoring a backup can use a lot of data, so you may want to connect to a Wi-Fi network during setup. Otherwise, the restore will use your cellular data and you may incur charges.

When you're prompted to restore your phone, tap the backup you want to use, and then tap Next.

It says nothing about first agreeing to do a backup!

Well, presumably I can still do all this. Do I have to do another reset to accomplish this? I think I need exact steps. What to do in what order.
    03-23-2015 09:53 PM
    But if you have both the phones at the moment use the transfer my data app.(with the sd card in the old phone).
    What is the transfer my data app? Never heard of it. Is it in the phone somewhere?

I can resume my efforts tomorrow, it's getting late. I'll check and see if the SD card looks like it hasn't changed. The SIM, is that read only?

I can reset the phone again and start over, this time agreeing to do a backup. Hopefully it is as you say and after doing that I will be offered the opportunity to restore from the backup I made today. If not, I guess I'll have to look into that app you mentioned, the transfer my data app.
    Last edited by dmusicant; 03-23-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    03-23-2015 09:57 PM
    When you first set up your new phone, sign in using the same Microsoft account you used when you created your backup.
    When you're prompted to restore your phone, tap the backup you want to use, and then tap Next.
    Well that didn't happen in your case (the prompt when you sign in.) it means only two things either that the backup was not properly done or there is something wrong with your account.
    Check if a backup exists by going to https://onedrive.live.com/ on a pc then settings (gear icon) -> options -> device backups.
    If you see your device name as well as the date then its there.
    otherwise you will have to do backup again.

It says nothing about first agreeing to do a backup!
    "When you're prompted to restore your phone, tap the backup you want to use, and then tap Next."

This never happened in your case. (If a backup existed on cloud it should have prompted)

Do you always follow the book ?
    If something different happens you have to think outside the box right ?

What is the transfer my data app? Never heard of it. Is it in the phone somewhere?
    https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...02?signin=true is an app which comes preinstalled. if its not installed on your phone you can get it from store. (Its just for transferring the contacts)
    03-23-2015 10:27 PM
    I'll check and see if the SD card looks like it hasn't changed. The SIM, is that read only?
    When you do a backup, the sd card doesn't get changed. However if you keep tossing it between your new one and the old one, there is a chance.
    SIM is not read only, it wont get affected just like that.
    03-23-2015 10:32 PM
    Next morning:

Well, I'm ready to tackle this again after a good night's sleep.

Thanks for sticking with me on this, I really need the help.

Yes, I think there may be something screwy about my account(s). I had that feeling when that was set up. Maybe the confusion is just in my head. It seemed to me that there were two (at least) things going on. One was an account that had username = my email account. Another was an account using the first part of that email address (i.e. the part before the @ symbol), with live.com being the second part. I have different passwords for them, at least I think so. I made notes in my computer information system regarding this. Yesterday I tried to login using the new phone using the @live.com sign in and it didn't work, so I tried the other one and it did work. Where my backup went? I don't know yet, I'll go look as you suggest. What was my sign in on my old phone? That would seem to be the question, maybe it wasn't the one that I signed in with on the new phone. Yes, "screwy" comes to mind.

I have a few other questions that concern me that I think you can speak to at this point:

1. My contacts, well, actually there are a lot of them in there. I only entered a few, less than a handful IIRC. I think the others were brought in automatically from Facebook. Is that reasonable?

2. I have a few for money apps, very few, maybe 3. Early on I heard about MyFreeApp, which offers a different free app every day. I don't check it as often now, but over time I've downloaded dozens of those. Most I've never even tried, but some of them are really great. I know if they aren't restored automatically I could find them again, but I think most of those I'd have to buy at this point... isn't that the case? So, the question is, can I get them restored too?

Next thing I'm going to do right now is put the SIM and SD card back in the old phone and go through the list of apps and type the names into my information management system so I know what have at the moment. Then I'll take a peak at what Windows says is on the SD card and see if it still matches the backup I made to PC's HD. Then I'll try to ascertain if I have a valid backup out there.

Maybe you can help me make sense of the confused picture I have of my accounts. I remember talking to a Microsoft person around 8 months ago for a few minutes, it wasn't clear in my head about those two different usernames and what they signified.

I'll post back. Now, to be honest, I'm not in a giant hurry on this, my most typical usage for this phone is listening to music, most typically in the gym. I bought it originally for the GPS functionality, it's great for that, but I only need that once in a while. At times I frequent a for-money app I saw recommended, Amazing Weather HD, it really is great IMO. I almost never make calls on it, partly because my AT&T coverage in the house is very spotty, at least it used to be. I use my land line for telephone. So, the time constraint more than anything is Amazon telling me that I have to return the old phone within 30 days. Thanks again!

Edit: When I swiped left on the start screen, I listed my apps. There are ~162 of them +/- one or two! One of those apps is OneDrive, and when I open that I see a few things including photos, that were automatically uploaded but I don't see the backup I did yesterday. I don't know if that means it isn't up there. Here's my list (I put a few dash marks next to ones of special interest to me, which wasn't all inclusive):

List of apps on old phone before change-over -- 03/24/2015
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    4th & Mayor --
    Accurate Tuner Free
    AccuWeather - Weather
    Advanced English Dictionary -
    AirportSeek
    Alarms
    AllTube Grabber
    Amazing Weather HD ---
    Amazon Kindle ---
    App Folder
    AT&T Address Book
    AT&T Navigator
    AT&T Radio
    AtomicClock ---
    Autible
    Audio Notepad
    Audioook Reader Free
    Baconit --
    Battery
    Battery
    Battery Saver
    Battery+ 8.1
    Blek
    Bowling Journal
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Camera
    CamTool
    Chase Mobile* --
    Chess WP
    CloudMesh Pro
    Cortana
    Data Sense
    Depth of Field 7
    Dictate!
    DocuSign
    DS audio --
    DS file --
    DS finder --
    DS photo+ --
    DS video --
    Earth Time Free
    Easy Password
    ESPN Hub
    ESPN Radio
    Evernote --
    Facefook
    Files&Folders Pro
    Flixter
    FM Radio
    Food & Drink
    Function Plotter
    Funny Qyotes
    Games
    GasBuddy
    Glance Background
    GPS Calculator PRO
    GuitarKit
    Gym PocketGuide ---
    HardFox SixPack
    Health & Fitness
    Heart Rate
    HERE Drive+
    HERE Explore Beta
    HERE Maps
    HERE Transit
    IMDb
    INRIX Traffic
    Inspirational Quotes ---
    Internet Explorer
    Kindle Best Free Books ---
    Lumia Black Update
    Lumia Camera
    Lumia Cinemagraph
    Lumia Creative Studio
    Lumia Help+ Tips
    Lumia Panorama
    Lumia storage check
    MagicPhotos
    Maps
    MeeDJ
    Messaging
    Metrotube
    MixRadio
    Mobile Bartender
    Mobile TV
    Modern Translate
    Monetal
    Monster Stack 3 HD+
    Music
    Music Sense
    myAppFree
    Newspapers
    Night Stand Clock
    Note It
    Notes
    NYTimes --
    Office
    Office Lens
    OneDrive
    OneNote
    OneReader
    OneShot
    Pandora
    People
    Phone
    Photo Lock Pro
    PhotoBeamer
    Photochronicle
    Photos
    Picture Perfect
    Planner+
    Podcasts
    PODCASTS!
    PosingApp
    Protect Your File
    Quick Bandwidth Test
    Ringo: Low cost international...
    Romance Quotes
    Settings
    ShareFolder Explorer
    Simply Alarming
    Smart Shoot
    SmartWakeup
    Sonic
    Speeh shopper
    Spotify
    Stop the Music! --
    StopWatch
    Stopwatch Timer
    Storage Sense
    Store
    SuperTimer
    Syno Downloader
    SysApp Pusher --
    Tapatalk
    Tasks
    The ArmAsault
    The Sound Recorder
    Tile Me!
    Timer
    TO DO
    Translator One
    Travel
    Tube HD - Best Client f...
    TuneIn Radio
    Video
    Video Shop
    VisualMATH 4D
    Vizilife
    Wallet
    Weather (the weather channel)
    Weather
    Weather26
    WeatherBug
    Weave News Reader
    WebApps
    Windows Central ---
    Yelp
    YPmobile
    Zoom
    Last edited by dmusicant; 03-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    03-24-2015 09:27 AM
    Daniel is not on line so let me answer a few questions.

1 On your old phone go to SETTINGS > email+accounts > under the MICROSOFT ACCOUNT is the email you used on your phone.

2 Apps you bought or got free with MyAppFree stay yours so you can get them back for free again (if you use the same MS account on your new phone)
    However the last few weeks we get reports from people that they can not get back some free apps which they got from MyAppFree. The developers of these apps should sort it out with Microsoft but this seems to take a long time.

3 Apps which are pulled back from the store are "gone" so yo will not get them back anymore.
    (Like HERE Explore Beta this app is merged with HERE maps)
    03-24-2015 10:22 AM
    Well that didn't happen in your case (the prompt when you sign in.) it means only two things either that the backup was not properly done or there is something wrong with your account.
    Check if a backup exists by going to https://onedrive.live.com/ on a pc then settings (gear icon) -> options -> device backups.
    If you see your device name as well as the date then its there.
    otherwise you will have to do backup again.
    I went there and it says:

Backed up device settings

You don’t have any devices that are backing up settings to OneDrive.

So, something is wrong. The backup looked to have completed successfully yesterday. I could try it again but suspect there will be the same outcome. Don't know what to try next, but as you say, I'll have to think outside the box.
    03-24-2015 10:51 AM
    Well, I determined that I do have a backup of "Device Settings" with the account for dmusicant@live.com. Thus, I have two accounts! I had signed in with my other account. This is confusing, to say the least. Well, I can reset the new phone and sign in with the account that has the backup. But I'm wondering first if this is enough. Device settings appears to be a different animal than app backup. I saw two backup things in there when I did the backup. I couldn't figure out how to do the other, it was greyed out. Will my restore of Device Settings also restore my apps and app data?
    03-24-2015 11:24 AM
    Indeed in apps+settings you can backup settings and apps.
    And if you go to manage backup you see Settings backup (which you can unmark) and app backup (which is greyed out). But if you unmark Settings backup then the App backup is not greyed out anymore. But you need both.

And to be clear in Settings > apps+settings both have to be on.
    Before you push "back up now".
    03-24-2015 11:39 AM
    Will my restore of Device Settings also restore my apps and app data?
    Yes it would have been all perfect .... if you had backed up both settings and app data.
    but in your case you opted for settings backup only (turning on backup for appdata has a separate toggle in the same settings page in phone)
    you didn't mention about using a second account ...
    you have to use the same account to sign in.
    Then only it will prompt you to restore.
    If you have a win 8.1 pc, the backup file of the pc will be in the same folder in the onedrive as well.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-24-2015 11:39 AM
    Well, I did a reset, signed in with my other account (dmusicant@live.com, which is not a valid email address AFAIK, but whatever...), and did a restore. The date shown was from July 2014, not yesterday, but it gave me no choice, so again, whatever! Now my tiles aren't as I had them (most all of them small, not big, but right now they are all big and not the ones I had, for the most part). Maybe the tiles will eventually show up, maybe I'll have to redo that stuff entirely. Currently, all my apps that weren't already on the new phone are "pending." They are apparently downloading one by one via WIFI. I don't know if they are all there, but a whole lot of them are, at first glance. With over 160 apps (if they are all there), that's going to take many hours. Not a big problem, certainly, as long as they download. One of them says "needs attention" which is my Chase Mobile app, and when I click that it says there's an error. I'll deal with that later. I hope my tiles show up...

Now, I had the SD card in there (still have), and I was asked during the setup procedure if I wanted to use the card for whatever and I said "yes." I hadn't reformatted it or changed any of the data on it. Of course, I don't know if that's going to work out. I do have the entire contents of the card copied to a HD. The 64GB card has around 14GB free right now. I did check the file system this morning and it is indeed exFat. I will look into installing the KB update that will enable my XP machines to read the card.
    Last edited by dmusicant; 03-24-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    03-24-2015 12:04 PM
    Yes it would have been all perfect .... if you had backed up both settings and app data.
    but in your case you opted for settings backup only (turning on backup for appdata has a separate toggle in the same settings page in phone)
    you didn't mention about using a second account ...
    you have to use the same account to sign in.
    Then only it will prompt you to restore.
    If you have a win 8.1 pc, the backup file of the pc will be in the same folder in the onedrive as well.
    I DID have all options enabled in backup, it has been that way for a while. So, I think that settings backup isn't all I had. I don't have a Win 8.1 PC. I have two Win7 PCs and a few XP, also a Vista Business off site, presently.

I wish I didn't have a 2nd account. That was a mistake. I literally spent hours trying to sort things out when I updated to Windows Phone 8.1. Things weren't working right and I was on the phone with Microsoft support. They never figured it out! Yes, I have two accounts. I would prefer to have just one but now that I know that the @live.com account is the one that the phone is using maybe I can live with that, just ignore the other one.
    03-24-2015 12:15 PM
    umm if it was me i would have formatted the sd card from inside the phone and started fresh with the restore.
    Now a lot of "unused" hidden files will be there (most probably the old app data).

before signing in you could have formatted the sd card from the phone
    and then moved the music/videos/documents into their respective folders from your pc.

and then when you sign in, the restore will be perfect.
    sd card would have been clean as well.
    the main reason i told you to copy stuff to pc (in a previous post) was to start fresh even if you are restoring.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-24-2015 12:26 PM
    umm if it was me i would have formatted the sd card from inside the phone and started fresh with the restore.
    Now a lot of "unused" hidden files will be there (most probably the old app data).

before signing in you could have formatted the sd card from the phone
    and then moved the music/videos/documents into their respective folders from your pc.

and then when you sign in, the restore will be perfect.
    sd card would have been clean as well.
    the main reason i told you to copy stuff to pc (in a previous post) was to start fresh even if you are restoring.
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this stuff. Now, I have a feeling that my restore was from July 2014. That was the date shown when I chose the restore. There wasn't another choice, just that one. Why I didn't see an option to restore from yesterday's backup totally boggles my mind. I wasn't sure that the July 2014 date didn't just signify something else, other than the actual date of backup from which it was about to restore. The date was just displayed, there wasn't an indication what it signified. However, I went into Phone and the recent calls shown there are from July 2014. I have made calls recently, so I have to think that my restore was indeed from July 2014, which was approximately when I did the update to Windows Phone 8.1. Now, the phone informs me that it wants to update to Windows Phone 8.1! Well, I let it, what else can I do? I wonder what could have happened to my backup from yesterday. When I signed into my Microsoft Account using the same credentials and password as the one I used to sign onto the phone when I did the restore, I saw yesterday's backup. But the phone did not!!! It did not offer that one, only the one with the July 2014 date shown below it.

Well, I can, presumably, still do things as you said you would, by reformatting the card in the phone before doing a restore, but presumably I still won't see yesterday's backup. How do I format the card before signing in? Should I remove data from the card before doing this? I was asked if I want to use the card for data, etc. during the setup process (Yes/No, and I chose Yes). I had no idea what that would do to the card, presumably nothing, since the data on it checked out to be the same as what I have on the backup.

At the moment, the phone is doing the update to WP 8.1, evidently. It's not telling me what exactly it's doing, but I got hints that it wanted to update to 8.1 and it now says it's doing an update and it's been around 45 minutes, so I suppose it's updating to 8.1. If the restore had been from yesterday's backup, wouldn't that have included 8.1 without having to do an update?

Presently, Phone Update is in progress and it says "Preparing to install 68%"
    03-24-2015 01:44 PM
    Windows update and backup/restore are unrelated.
    Whatever updated related to OS/Firmware you do will still remain in the phone even if you reset the phone.

I also don't know why your phone didn't offer to restore if you used the same credentials.

Do as follow.

1. Let if finish updating.
    2. You said you had already backed up music/videos/files to pc ( So let it be there).
    3. go to storage sense press on the sd card scroll down and you will see format option.
    4. after formatting is done, reset your phone. (dont worry the 8.1 will still be there)
    5. start fresh.(this is entirely your choice/you can also go back to the july 2014 backup) (use only one account).
    6. If you remember the apps you can just head to the store and queue it one by one.
    03-24-2015 02:00 PM
37 12