Lumia 520 Died during downgrade to 8.1 from 10. How can I revive it?

sankar_k

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520 Died during downgrade to 8.1 from 10.

hai all
i am using nokia lumia 520..the problem i faced is ,recently i had upgraded from 8.1 to windows 10 preview where i am not satisfied with 10..i tried to reinstall 8.1 windows from windows recovery tool but the software was not installed properly and my phone turned to total dead and it is not working or ON at all..even i took my phone to nokia care but they didn't fix my problem and told me to change the mother board which cost around rs3000 where my hardware is perfect....please rectify my problem or fix my problem where i tried all types of methods like reboot with keys and turbo flash where my phone is not detecting and showing error like usb not detected or waiting for the device in windows recovery tool and flash turbo.

sankar_k

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

hai all
i am using nokia lumia 520..the problem i faced is ,recently i had upgraded from 8.1 to windows 10 preview where i am not satisfied with 10..i tried to reinstall 8.1 windows from windows recovery tool but the software was not installed properly and my phone turned to total dead and it is not working or ON at all..even i took my phone to nokia care but they didn't fix my problem and told me to change the mother board which cost around rs3000 where my hardware is perfect....please rectify my problem or fix my problem where i tried all types of methods like reboot with keys and turbo flash where my phone is not detecting and showing error like usb not detected or waiting for the device in windows recovery tool and flash turbo.

sujitintel

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site

Exactly !! Same problem with my Lumia 520. Updated to Windows 10 TP but i felt it very slow and buggy and decided to go back to windows phone 8.1 by using WSRT but whatever you just explained the red screen failure several times happend and resulting in DEAD !! :( :( I got a new Lumia 730 for myself but still I just cant let the 520 like that just because of a minor defect.
Please help me if you find any solution regarding this !!! good luck !

lSsantos

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

What if I replaced the battery and still the same problem??
It does not work. I changed my battery and the problem persists. Folks at the Microsoft forums said that Nokia Care can replace something to make the phone work agian. I'll wait until MS find a solution - Hope they will find a solution lol

aattanas

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my Lumia 520. It's completely dead after downgrade to windows phone 8.1 via WPRT.
I tried everything that can be tried- WPRT, Lumia recovery tool, Nokia Care suite. None of this can detect my phone. The only message that I get from my PC when I attach the phone is that driver Nokia Emergency Connectivity is successfully installed and ready to use. If someone managed to recover his/her phone please advise :)

aattanas

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my Lumia 520. It's completely dead after downgrade to windows phone 8.1 via WPRT.
I tried everything that can be tried- WPRT, Lumia recovery tool, Nokia Care suite. None of this can detect my phone. The only message that I get from my PC when I attach the phone is that a driver Nokia Emergency Connectivity is successfully installed and ready to use. If someone managed to recover his/her phone please advise :)

Battery change also won't help.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

For those who have a phone that cannot return back to Windows Phone 8.1, here is the steps to reinstall WP8.1:

1) Uninstall Windows Phone Recovery Tool from your computer
2) Restart your computer
3) After computer restarts, Download Windows Phone Recovery Tool from here
4) After installation is completed, follow the steps below:

After you start the recovery process, do not disconnect your phone from the computer until whole process is finished.

Always plug your computer into the power source so that it does not go to standby mode.

Steps for recovery process
1.Download and install Windows Phone Recovery Tool to your computer. If possible, make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged.
2.When the installation has finished, start the application and the main screen will appear:
WPRT_450x243.jpg

1)If your phone is not automatically detected, disconnect all phones from your computer and press My phone was not detected at the bottom of the main screen.

2)If prompted, select the phone manufacturer.

3)Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible USB cable.

4)Wait for your computer to detect the connected phone and follow the screen instructions. If the phone is not connected within one minute you can try to restart your phone: Keep USB connected, press and hold the Power and Volume down keys simultaneously. Release the pressed keys when phone vibrates.

5) Press Install software to start installing the software to your phone.

Hope this helps

anon(9226130)

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

Hah I downloaded the recovery tool and it's not downloaded any rom. The tool reinstalled 8.1 on my Lumia 520 in 2 minutes.

aattanas

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

Hi ajayden,
I appreciate your willingness to help but your post is pretty much copy-paste from windows insider website and does not help.
The main problem is that the phones do not turn on and do not vibrate after pressing Volume down and Start button. And in this way phones can not be detected by the recovery tool.
Also please note that after installing the recovery tool from your link, there is a mandatory update to version 1.2.4. Please updated the steps in your post :)
thnaks

renjith p george

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Hi ajayden,
I appreciate your willingness to help but your post is pretty much copy-paste from windows insider website and does not help.
The main problem is that the phones do not turn on and do not vibrate after pressing Volume down and Start button. And in this way phones can not be detected by the recovery tool.
Also please note that after installing the recovery tool from your link, there is a mandatory update to version 1.2.4. Please updated the steps in your post :)
thnaks

As per the latest update - Microsoft has rolled out an update for windows recovery tool. try reverting with the updated tool

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Hi ajayden,
thnaks

My dear friend,
Thank you for the post.
Actually my post was for the OP.

I am aware of the mandatory update and that means as you install the software, you will be asked to update. So I don't have to add it in the steps.

Yes it is from Insider website but if people go and read it from there, they will not be asking for a solution here.

Also, the first few steps is the most important, To uninstall and Install again, cos that's when they have the updated tool (and this is not mentioned at the insider website).

However for bricked phones, here is the procedure to revive the phone....as you said, I am not going to elaborate here. You can go to the link below to read and try it.

How to fix bricked Lumia 920

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

How to do JTAG for my Lumia 520...?
Pls help

Steps to repair with JTAG

Step 1: Download ATF JTAG Software Base Installer Here:
atf_jtag_v1.01_full_installer - Download - 4shared

This will contain Basic AFP Files to Repair WP8 Phones

Step 2: Update ATF Software to 1.04 (So that your are using latest version)
ATF_JTAG_v1.04_Full_Installer - Download - 4shared

Step 3: Download Additional Big Boot Files here: (Only Needed if phone cannot flash after initial JTAG repair)
4shared folder - ATF JTAG AFP FILES

For Basic JTAG Repair. Run ATF JTAG Software then click "SELECT PHONE". Then
choose proper AFP file for proper phone model RM-XXX.

After file loads, it will show you test points where you need to solder wires. After
soldering wires 100% ok, then click "RESTORE BOOT".

Warning : Please DO NOT do anything, if you do not know what you are doing

Johit Joy

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Hi Abhishek
I tried this but it didnt work.
I guess issue is with windows phone recovery tool. Being new I think it doesnt have feature to detect dead phone as LSRT have. Since my phone is out of warranty period so I am taking my phone to a local technician today first for boot repair. Lets see what he has to say.I guess JTAG would be useful to repair boot.
Will provide you all with update asap.
I just wish Microsoft bring dead phone recovery feature for 8.x and above phones as it is present for WP8 or other nokia phones.

Did you get your phone repaired from local technician?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb