The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-23-2014 04:32 AM
60 123
tools
    I'm not a customer. If worse comes to worse, I have a coworker who is. Going to hope being polite and asking nicely gets me somewhere.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    07-27-2013 11:12 AM
    Of course you could always try one of those third party phone unlocking sites. I've had luck with them in the past when unlocking an ATT iPhone and tmo 8x, but the fees they charge are like 1/3 the price of the 521, so it's certainly a significant added expense.
    07-27-2013 04:12 PM
    I called Tmo last night upon receipt of my new device. I informed them the phone was purchased in full and that I am not and never have been a customer. They are sending my unlock code within 2 days and were a pleasure to deal with.
    If you call and ask nicely you should receive similar treatment.

07-28-2013 06:10 AM
    I called Tmo last night upon receipt of my new device. I informed them the phone was purchased in full and that I am not and never have been a customer. They are sending my unlock code within 2 days and were a pleasure to deal with.
    If you call and ask nicely you should receive similar treatment.

Good luck. I did the same a while back and got off the phone nice and happy and got a denial email a couple days later. I have tried a few times since with the same outcome.
    07-30-2013 06:29 PM
    They are sending my unlock code within 2 days and were a pleasure to deal with.
    We wish you luck! Please, keep us updated.
    07-30-2013 07:00 PM
    Anything new on the unlock codes from tmobile?
    08-08-2013 07:36 AM
    What about just buying on Meet the revolutionary Nokia Lumia 1020. The perfect addition to the Lumia family. | Windows Phone (United States) That page lists networks the phone works on. Next to the Lumia 521 it lists "T-Mobile USA" as well as "Open market." Does Open market mean unlocked? If not, what does it mean?
    08-08-2013 11:25 AM
    Open Market most likely means places like Walmart, HSN, Amazon, or Retailers like Negri Electronics or Expansys.
    jdbii likes this.
    08-08-2013 02:01 PM
    I got the code for my T-Mobile Lumia 521 yesterday, after calling earlier the same day.

Customer service asked for the IMEI and confirmed that I had had service with T-Mobile long enough; I've been on month to month for over a year. They also asked where I bought the phone, and I just said a T-Mobile store.

The unlocked code arrived by email within a couple of hours. I haven't tried it yet, as I don't have an alternate SIM.
    08-09-2013 10:05 AM
    Has anyone managed to get unlock code without being tmobile customer ?
    I paid for my device in full, in cash , but I am not t mobile customer .
    08-14-2013 04:47 PM
    I have tried several times and the phone and chat "support" will not unlock it unless you are a customer on their crappy service. One lady was very rude to me too. Never again will I buy anything from tmobile.
    08-14-2013 09:32 PM
    I have tried several times and the phone and chat "support" will not unlock it unless you are a customer on their crappy service. One lady was very rude to me too. Never again will I buy anything from tmobile.
    Go into a tmobile store (if they can do unlocks, im unsure) or call again and try to get to a higher level representative.. Some customer rep centers are not the best about giving employees the latest information. You talk to one rep who will know everything current, while the next will still think there's such things as a "sidekick plan".

You dont have to be a customer in order to get a device unlocked, but it seems to be something some customer reps are nitpicky about.

also, as an idea, mention doc 1588 on T-Mobile support (http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588), paragraph three, list item 3 to the support representative.
    Last edited by Dustin Hodges; 08-14-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added info
    08-14-2013 11:06 PM
    Thank you for the reply, but I am neither a former nor current subscriber to TM service. I tried that and they tried to tell to call Nokia. Nokia said that was a lie and even pointed me to their website where it said it does not do that and told me to call TM back and then 3-way with Nokia and they would tell the rep that is not true.
    08-14-2013 11:55 PM
    Its International varient 520 is unlocked. This one 521 is locked in US for TMO.
    This needs clarification because It is half true.

I had my number on PlatinumTel (a TMO mnvo), poped the sim card in and the phone worked for the most part

What didnt work?
    -Voice Mail
    -MMS

So yes, its locked but the TMO mvnos can use it too.

I ended up switching to TMO anyway, the extra 10 a month is nothing for the much better customer service.
    08-15-2013 02:52 PM
    This needs clarification because It is half true.

I had my number on PlatinumTel (a TMO mnvo), poped the sim card in and the phone worked for the most part

What didnt work?
    -Voice Mail
    -MMS

So yes, its locked but the TMO mvnos can use it too.

I ended up switching to TMO anyway, the extra 10 a month is nothing for the much better customer service.
    Actually your statement is half true. If you manually create the correct APN setting everything should work.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    08-15-2013 02:59 PM
    I never received any email from T-Mobile. I contacted them again today and they refused to unlock it. This isn't "uncarrier" behavior IMO, but I'm obviously biased.
    08-23-2013 12:18 PM
    I never received any email from T-Mobile. I contacted them again today and they refused to unlock it. This isn't "uncarrier" behavior IMO, but I'm obviously biased.
    If you sign up for any of their plans for a few months, then call them again, they'll probably unlock it. The other option is to buy an unlock code online. Shouldn't cost more than $20.
    08-23-2013 12:28 PM
    I ordered one from a site. The known respected ones wanted $40. That's ludacris. I found one for $6. I think I got scammed, but whatever. Worth a shot. Perhaps I'll try to trade it for a 520.
    08-23-2013 09:10 PM
    I ordered one from a site. The known respected ones wanted $40. That's ludacris. I found one for $6. I think I got scammed, but whatever. Worth a shot. Perhaps I'll try to trade it for a 520.
    I once got an unlock code for a quantum for 99 cents on eBay. It always depends on who you go with.
    08-23-2013 09:18 PM
    I once got an unlock code for a quantum for 99 cents on eBay. It always depends on who you go with.
    It seems the site I used was reputable. Sadly, they told me they couldn't unlock the device and refunded me the money. I'm out of luck with this thing, lol.
    08-28-2013 03:29 PM
    It seems the site I used was reputable. Sadly, they told me they couldn't unlock the device and refunded me the money. I'm out of luck with this thing, lol.
    I got the code for an AT&T Lumia 520 for $14.99 from cellunlocker.net. It only took a few hours for them to provide me with the code.
    08-28-2013 04:12 PM
    The thought just occurred to me, but, I wonder if the law against unlocking is why some customer representatives are refusing to give unlock codes, since technically it is illegal. (as in, the occasional rep may be paranoid about breaking such silly law, or they may of been instructed by a supervisor at that specific customer support center not to, because of it.)
    [HR][/HR]
    If you missed the news earlier this year, the Library of Congress made the decision to refuse to renew an exception to the DCMA that allowed unlocking of phones, which had been made years back in a response to it becoming illegal to unlock devices. This caused an outrage and over 114k people signed a petition on the Whitehouse's petition website. This caught the FCC's attention and they stated that they would work hard to try and make unlocking cellular phones permanently legal. However, the FCC cannot, on its own, change the laws and fix this. Instead, they have to go through the process of submitting things to Congress and all that "jazz". Currently, it is still illegal to unlock ones cellular device.
    08-28-2013 06:58 PM
    Just to be clear, it is only illegal to unlock phones without the carrier's permission. There is no issue with carrier's unlocking phones. The reason for the ruling is because carriers were complaining people buying phones from them but immediately using them on other carriers. This is an issue because carriers will often discount a phone to cost, or even slightly below. Carriers do this to attract users to their network, expecting to make the money back from the service fees these individuals pay.

Customer service reps that refuse to unlock phones because it is illegal are idiots -- unfortunately we all have likely talked to idiots in customer service/tech support positions.
    WorzelGummage likes this.
    08-28-2013 10:23 PM
    Just to be clear, it is only illegal to unlock phones without the carrier's permission. There is no issue with carrier's unlocking phones. The reason for the ruling is because carriers were complaining people buying phones from them but immediately using them on other carriers. This is an issue because carriers will often discount a phone to cost, or even slightly below. Carriers do this to attract users to their network, expecting to make the money back from the service fees these individuals pay.

Customer service reps that refuse to unlock phones because it is illegal are idiots -- unfortunately we all have likely talked to idiots in customer service/tech support positions.
    Exactly. You beat me to the punch but quite a few people seem to be confused regarding the law and unlocking cell phones.
    08-29-2013 02:09 PM
    I think there is a marketplace on this forum. You might try swapping your phone out for someone that wants to be on T-Mobile and has an ATT 520.
    09-06-2013 06:01 PM
60 123