Nokia Lumia 521, Unlocked?

Rockstar760

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Does the Nokia Lumia 521 come unlocked when you buy the phone on HSN. I have a tmobile sim card I currently use, is it possible for me to be able to replace it with that?

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. From what I've read, T-Mobile will unlock a phone that is paid in full. I'm really wondering if it will work on 3G on AT&T. It seems like the frequencies are the same.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. From what I've read, T-Mobile will unlock a phone that is paid in full. I'm really wondering if it will work on 3G on AT&T. It seems like the frequencies are the same.

As far as frequencies, yes. Only difference between ATT & T-Mobile devices is the usual added 1700MHz and one other HSDPA/HSPA frequency support in the device(s).
So, in theory, an unlocked T-Mobile device works on ATT. However, in practice I am unsure, and unless you're in hickville, middle of nowhere, where T-Mobile only gets 2g, ATT isn't worth it anyways.

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
@Dustin Hodges

Yes, I am in an area where T-Mobile isn't very reliable. Thus why I have to have AT&T (plus I get a nice discount through work). A $149 Lumia is a great deal and a perfect replacement for my Focus Flash ;)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I believe they will unlock it when paid in full, but if you're a T-Mobile customer. You may have to do something like sign up for a prepaid plan for one month and then ask. There's different requirements for different types of customers (prepaid, postpaid) and for devices purchased in full vs monthly installment. Obviously they prefer to delay unlocking until the device is paid in full. They also prefer unlocking for current or past customers, and if the device is paid in full, they would need a proof of purchase. The rest of the info is under the support section of their website.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe they will unlock it when paid in full, but if you're a T-Mobile customer. You may have to do something like sign up for a prepaid plan for one month and then ask. There's different requirements for different types of customers (prepaid, postpaid) and for devices purchased in full vs monthly installment. Obviously they prefer to delay unlocking until the device is paid in full. They also prefer unlocking for current or past customers, and if the device is paid in full, they would need a proof of purchase. The rest of the info is under the support section of their website.

So, if I just go and buy it, without being a T-mobile client, they won?t unlock it???

makingbiscuits

May 17, 2013
Visit site
How I unlocked my Nokia Lumia 521 to work with AT&T:

Have a willing friend or family member to use their T-Mobile SIM card in the Nokia Lumia 521 for at least 7 days. By the 7th day, they can call T-Mobile and request the unlock code. The unlock code will be emailed to them as a 20-digit number. I did not have to fax in a receipt, but we did see a T-Mobile rep at first to make sure we were doing it right - he may or may not have made a note of our receipt in the system.

I have an AT&T SIM card. Using my Nokia Lumia 820 from AT&T, I had to enable my AT&T SIM pin code by following these instructions: Enable or Change the SIM PIN Code for the LG Quantum (C900) - AT&T GoPhone? Support?

Then I inserted my AT&T SIM card into the Nokia Lumia 521, and I entered "1111" as my SIM pin code when prompted. Then I went into Settings > access points, and changed service to AT&T. I then entered the 20-digit unlock code from the T-Mobile email. The Nokia Lumia 521 is now unlocked and working with AT&T 4G service.

If you don't have an existing T-Mobile account or a friend/family member with T-Mobile, then sorry, I don't know how you would unlock the phone. I tried to do it myself without a T-Mobile account, and the T-Mobile representative would not allow it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile gave me the unlock code today. I started using my 521 about 4 weeks ago (it was on or around May 10). I have been using T-Mobile for close to a year now, so when I got the phone I simply put my active SIM card in it. About a day after I started using it I requested the unlock code, and T-Mobile replied saying that I had to have the phone active for 60 days and put at least $50.01 in the account. I decided to try again, and today they provided the code. And it worked! I now have a Net10 AT&T SIM card in it. Everything works great, including data & MMS. It took a little trial & error with apn settings though.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What are your apn and mmsc settings by the way.

Go to Settings >> access point >> add:

Connection name: Net10 AT&T (I don't think this matters)
Internet APN
Access Point Name: tfdata
Username: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Proxy address: leave blank
Proxy port: leave blank
Network type: IPv4
Authentication type: none
MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name: tfdata
Username: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Proxy address: 66.209.11.33
Proxy port: 80
MMSC address: http://mms-tf.net/
Network type: IPv4
Athentication type: none

This is the APN I have presently in my Lumia 521, and so far data & MMS are working. I'll let you know if I run into any issues. I got it set up just a couple hours ago. I had to adapt these settings from what others had posted using on different model Lumias, since more than likely very few 521s are SIM unlocked yet. It didn't seem that any other Lumia APN settings I found posted online had exactly the same options in the list, so I kept playing with it until it worked.

Also please note: these APN settings are for use with a Net10 AT&T SIM card. They (probably) won't work with anything else.

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I had problems on my focus flash with tfdata apn.
What happens if you change the APN from TFDATA to ATT.MVNO. MMSC to mmsc.cingular.com, save and reboot.
Do things still work, like local scout, maps, picture messages.

LIZ88

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Did you have to unlock the Nokia Lumia 521 before using it on the NET10 network? Did you get the Nokia Lumia 521 from ATT or TMobile? I have the 521 from TMobile and trying to use it on the NET10 Network with a (TMobile SIM Card for the Net10 network) the APN settings are not working for Pic text & internet. I can call & receive regular text. You mention you used a AT&T SIM card,
do you think I would need to get a (AT&T SIM Card for the Net10 network) to use in my TMobile Nokia Lumia 521? Just trying all options. :smile:
Thanks!

50atomic

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The phone automatically loads AT&T APN settings once you drop in the sim (assuming you are unlocked of course). The windows store also has an additional AT&T collections section similar to AT&T lumia phones. It connects to their HSPA+ network on 1900 MHz and 850 MHz solid. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

geoffreymbrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
t-mobile has clear terms and conditions for unlocking. But don't kid yourself that they will follow them. I bought a Lumia 521 at the Microsoft store in a t-mobile box, and met all the terms and conditions, but they still refused to unlock it because I hadn't bought it directly from t-mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)