Nokia Lumia 521, Unlocked?

Scott Kenyon

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Unlock codes are specific to that one device. The unlock code for someone else's 521 will not work on mine.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Scott Kenyon

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm really hoping Tmo just unlocks this thing for me. There's really no reason they shouldn't. Going to try and will report back.

Scott Kenyon

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a customer. If worse comes to worse, I have a coworker who is. Going to hope being polite and asking nicely gets me somewhere.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course you could always try one of those third party phone unlocking sites. I've had luck with them in the past when unlocking an ATT iPhone and tmo 8x, but the fees they charge are like 1/3 the price of the 521, so it's certainly a significant added expense.

Scott Kenyon

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I called Tmo last night upon receipt of my new device. I informed them the phone was purchased in full and that I am not and never have been a customer. They are sending my unlock code within 2 days and were a pleasure to deal with.
If you call and ask nicely you should receive similar treatment.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I called Tmo last night upon receipt of my new device. I informed them the phone was purchased in full and that I am not and never have been a customer. They are sending my unlock code within 2 days and were a pleasure to deal with.
If you call and ask nicely you should receive similar treatment.

Good luck. I did the same a while back and got off the phone nice and happy and got a denial email a couple days later. I have tried a few times since with the same outcome.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Open Market most likely means places like Walmart, HSN, Amazon, or Retailers like Negri Electronics or Expansys.

hasopinions

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I got the code for my T-Mobile Lumia 521 yesterday, after calling earlier the same day.

Customer service asked for the IMEI and confirmed that I had had service with T-Mobile long enough; I've been on month to month for over a year. They also asked where I bought the phone, and I just said a T-Mobile store.

The unlocked code arrived by email within a couple of hours. I haven't tried it yet, as I don't have an alternate SIM.

retr0ro3ot

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone managed to get unlock code without being tmobile customer ?
I paid for my device in full, in cash , but I am not t mobile customer .

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have tried several times and the phone and chat "support" will not unlock it unless you are a customer on their crappy service. One lady was very rude to me too. Never again will I buy anything from tmobile.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have tried several times and the phone and chat "support" will not unlock it unless you are a customer on their crappy service. One lady was very rude to me too. Never again will I buy anything from tmobile.

Go into a tmobile store (if they can do unlocks, im unsure) or call again and try to get to a higher level representative.. Some customer rep centers are not the best about giving employees the latest information. You talk to one rep who will know everything current, while the next will still think there's such things as a "sidekick plan".

You dont have to be a customer in order to get a device unlocked, but it seems to be something some customer reps are nitpicky about.

also, as an idea, mention doc 1588 on T-Mobile support (http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588), paragraph three, list item 3 to the support representative.

Last edited:

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, but I am neither a former nor current subscriber to TM service. I tried that and they tried to tell to call Nokia. Nokia said that was a lie and even pointed me to their website where it said it does not do that and told me to call TM back and then 3-way with Nokia and they would tell the rep that is not true.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Its International varient 520 is unlocked. This one 521 is locked in US for TMO.

This needs clarification because It is half true.

I had my number on PlatinumTel (a TMO mnvo), poped the sim card in and the phone worked for the most part

What didnt work?
-Voice Mail
-MMS

So yes, its locked but the TMO mvnos can use it too.

I ended up switching to TMO anyway, the extra 10 a month is nothing for the much better customer service.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This needs clarification because It is half true.

I had my number on PlatinumTel (a TMO mnvo), poped the sim card in and the phone worked for the most part

What didnt work?
-Voice Mail
-MMS

So yes, its locked but the TMO mvnos can use it too.

I ended up switching to TMO anyway, the extra 10 a month is nothing for the much better customer service.

Actually your statement is half true. If you manually create the correct APN setting everything should work.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos