The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-11-2014 01:40 AM
47 12
tools
    Shell is tricky, i do not trust having to push on middle of shell to get to pop off..
    Funny enough, the manual that comes with it in the box has completely different instructions for opening the battery cover, and I can do it quite easily the way the manual says. found that out a few hours ago.
    05-08-2013 12:49 AM
    My mom had a 710 from Tmobile. She washed it with a pair of pants, and got a Samsung android phone at Walmart for 200$ last month. She HATES the Samsung, so much so she instantly purchased the 521 when I sent her a link to HSN's deal. It arrived today!

I also had a problem with the battery cover. The lable on the back of the phone shows you pushing your thumb into the back middle of the phone. This did not work, but I was able to get the back cover off other ways. I noticed that the battery is located in the back middle, were your placing your thumb, but its a hollow area!!! THIS WONT WORK WITHOUT THE BATTERY!!!! HUGE error, and someone should be fired. Once the battery in, the instructions work just fine.

Speedy little sucker, and I was surprised to see the screen respond when I was cleaning the face with a cloth!

Biggest gripe so far is the screen itself feels "sticky". With my HTC HD2 and 8X, my fingers just slide on the surface with little to no friction. The 521 has a LOT of friction, and attracts finger prints like crazy.
    05-08-2013 02:29 AM
    Biggest gripe so far is the screen itself feels "sticky". With my HTC HD2 and 8X, my fingers just slide on the surface with little to no friction. The 521 has a LOT of friction, and attracts finger prints like crazy.
    The white shell is the worst part for me. I do tree work/landscaping/metal removal and my hands are almost always dirty. My phone will now probably join my hands, haha.
    05-08-2013 03:35 AM
    I also had a problem with the battery cover. The lable on the back of the phone shows you pushing your thumb into the back middle of the phone. This did not work, but I was able to get the back cover off other ways. I noticed that the battery is located in the back middle, were your placing your thumb, but its a hollow area!!! THIS WONT WORK WITHOUT THE BATTERY!!!! HUGE error, and someone should be fired. Once the battery in, the instructions work just fine.
    Again. Look in the manual (Or "Product and Safety Info" as its called). It shows you holding the bottom of the phone with one hand, and pulling the case off at the top with your thumb(nail):

This is much easier (imo) then the way demonstrated on the sticker (I believe the sticker is the generic instructions for a number of the lumia devices with removable shells. Removal instructions may vary by device)

You can still do it the other way, however, I can only get one corner off the other way the sticker showed and im afraid ill snap the phone before I get the case off (I fail every time the way the generic sticker showed).
    Last edited by Dustin Hodges; 05-09-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    05-08-2013 05:22 PM
    I have been constantly swapping the sim between my Nexus 4 and the 521 the past 2 days. The easiest way I have found to take off the cover is to grab the bottom of the phone with my left hand, screen facing my left palm. I then put my right thumb just over the camera lens and peel the top of the cover off with my right index, middle and ring fingers. The cover pops right off without putting any undue stress on the cover.
    05-09-2013 03:23 AM
    Paid $150 at the local Microsoft store today, was too lazy to waste the gasoline traveling to various Walmarts. The first MS associate wasn't aware that the phone didn't require a contract, but one of the others knew all the details. I got the TM9190 sim card along with the phone, but the local t-mo store guys said I didn't need it for WiFi calling to work... we'll see about that when the update rolls out.

wifi calling compatibility is the major reason I picked this up. The SD card storage option is going to be a welcomed change from my Lumia 710. I'll miss the camera flash and I think NFS: Undercover doesn't run on WP8, but for the price I'm not going to complain. It's too bad the Lumia 810 didn't get WiFi calling, that would have been perfect.
    05-11-2013 03:35 AM
    Can you put apps on the sd card?
    05-12-2013 12:52 AM
    Might pick one up as a backup... Might end up picking up a few for birthday gifts as well.
    05-12-2013 01:02 AM
    I just sold my 920 in the market place the other day and picked up the 521 at Walmart yesterday. They had 3 in stock, but in their back room locked behind a special room, that is Walmart for you. Anyway I like it, nice light and fast. The 8 gb of memory is a downer, buy a memory card for sure if you are going to do any videos or take lots of pics. I put all that in the cloud so it isn't a issue for me, but for most the space will be an issue.
    05-12-2013 08:38 AM
    I headed over to the Microsoft store in Time Square to pick this phone up, and it was gone. The entire Microsoft store, that is, was gone. I also stopped at a tmobile and they only had a demo unit and no inventory. I guess I will try my luck at another T-mobile. I don't want to have to drive all over for this phone.

I did, however, get to play with the demo unit. I tested the camera, fine. I looked at the screen, excellent. The only thing I did was turn the brightness up. They'll sell more now, if they ever get stock. Those were the only two things about the phone that I wanted to check out in person, since reviewers said both were "alright". It's no Lumia 920, but who would expect it to be at this amazing price.
    05-30-2013 06:33 PM
    Got one for $80 YEEEEEEEEEE

I got it cuz I saw the multitasking is similar to webos
    09-15-2013 05:25 PM
    Got one for $80 YEEEEEEEEEE

I got it cuz I saw the multitasking is similar to webos
    Glad you got a deal... But I wouldn't say the multitasking is anything like webOS.
    09-16-2013 11:11 PM
    Bought off of HSN for $79.95 which is an absolute steal. I'm going to be using it as a mobile gaming & music player for my son. Once MS begins the gift cards in lieu of points. He will be able to purchase items without having to link my card for purchases. Should be arriving shortly. Excited for him!
    09-16-2013 11:31 PM
    Glad you got a deal... But I wouldn't say the multitasking is anything like webOS.
    WebOS??? Isn't that Palm which is now offically dead.... also wasn't it painfully slow?
    Septiformus likes this.
    09-16-2013 11:43 PM
    WebOS??? Isn't that Palm which is now offically dead.... also wasn't it painfully slow?
    Yes - webOS
    Sort of - Palm > HP > Open Source > Open Source + LG. It's not dead, just hibernating.
    No - it isn't slow.

09-17-2013 10:57 AM
    Get a Skinomi screen protector. I thought GadgetGuard was the best until I got a Skinomi TechSkin for my Nexus 4. Just ordered one for my new 521 from HSN.
    My mom had a 710 from Tmobile. She washed it with a pair of pants, and got a Samsung android phone at Walmart for 200$ last month. She HATES the Samsung, so much so she instantly purchased the 521 when I sent her a link to HSN's deal. It arrived today!

Speedy little sucker, and I was surprised to see the screen respond when I was cleaning the face with a cloth!

09-22-2013 08:38 PM
    I like the term hibernating. webOS right now is almost like a pale goblin like creature awakening in the depths of the Earth, after mining activity disturbed its slumber
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-24-2013 04:28 PM
    I like the term hibernating. webOS right now is almost like a pale goblin like creature awakening in the depths of the Earth, after mining activity disturbed its slumber
    LOL...

webOS: the Operating System of underground denizens. :D
    09-25-2013 12:04 PM
    04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
    I got the Lumia 521 on HSN just yesterday and am so excited. Cant wait for it to ship!

So who all here is going to or already has bought the Lumia 521. What made you choose this phone? What are your initial impressions of the device from what you've read, (and after it arrives via mail in the coming week(s), of course) what are your actual impressions of the device in your hand?
    Date thread created: 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM

What are your impressions on using the 521 for the past 5 months?

09-25-2013 10:13 PM
    Yes - webOS
    Sort of - Palm > HP > Open Source > Open Source + LG. It's not dead, just hibernating.
    No - it isn't slow.

Personally had a bad experience with it....so painful to wait for the phone to load a darn webpage.
    04-10-2014 05:39 PM
    I had the original Palm Pre and it was my favorite by far, and the multitasking was unparallelled due to the card system.
    A lot of the stuff that iOS and Android are fighting over and "innovating" Palm was doing back in 2009.

Here is a picture from the camera on it back then 6372_243818720603_7247677_n.jpg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-10-2014 07:55 PM
    I have the Lumia 521 since June of 2013 and I love it! Because of my my gf and her daughter now have the Lumia 928 and they love it too. I wish more people would stop using popularity when determining which phone to get and give windows phone a try
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-11-2014 01:40 AM
47 12