So who all is getting the 521?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I got the Lumia 521 on HSN just yesterday and am so excited. Cant wait for it to ship! :grin:

So who all here is going to or already has bought the Lumia 521. What made you choose this phone? What are your initial impressions of the device from what you've read, (and after it arrives via mail in the coming week(s), of course) what are your actual impressions of the device in your hand?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have ordered mine so count me in. I wanted to move to WP8 Device, and really did not need things like (FFC, NFC, Wireless Charging which 52X does not have).

Price was biggest factor in getting this, can't beat 150 no contract.

Reviews so far for the 520 have been pretty good so that should give you idea of how 521 should be.

Can't give any other impression until I get one in my hands.

MetroChef27

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Focus for quite a while and its been solid. The specs are better, its a Nokia device, and WP8 for a fantastic price point. I just don't see the point of NFC yet and wireless charging is gimmicky to me so this is a great deal for me as a consumer and a developer.

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My general impression is that it's going to be a great device at a really good price point. Since the 620 & 720 are not being offered in the States, this is pretty much the only budget option. Looking forward to it!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the 520 is that it doesn't have the AWS bands (1700/2100). The carrier I'm with basically uses the same bands as T-Mo so the phones I can get are limited. I was hoping for a budget WP8 device for the time being and the 520, 620, and 720 all don't have the AWS bands (unless they are hidden away but I haven't read anything from anyone who has unlocked any of them).

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The problem with the 520 is that it doesn't have the AWS bands (1700/2100). The carrier I'm with basically uses the same bands as T-Mo so the phones I can get are limited. I was hoping for a budget WP8 device for the time being and the 520, 620, and 720 all don't have the AWS bands (unless they are hidden away but I haven't read anything from anyone who has unlocked any of them).

I see. that is a predicament. I didn't realize some carriers in Canada used AWS 1700/2100 (I thought that was a US thing, seeing as those bands are missing in practically any phone you buy outside of the US, for the most part, from what I have seen.).

And no, the plain oem models of the Nokia phones don't have AWS Band support. 2100 is added for US models on ATT & TMobile, 1700 for TMobile.

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to get the Lumia 521 next Saturday! I currently have the Lumia 710, but it lags when when I'm doing heavy multitasking. Watching an HD MetroTube video while having incoming FB messages and Twitter notifications, and maybe some Zune music or a game background downloading causes the phone to stutter or freeze up sometimes. I'm hoping the 1 GHz dual core processor and WP8 in general will help that. Also there's a few apps that simply don't have a WP7 counter part. I was going to start a new thread to ask a couple questions about user experience but I'm gonna drop them in here because a lot of people interested in this phone will probably look here first anyway.

-How often does the 512 MB RAM become a problem? I'm not much of a mobile gamer, but when I'm at work I love to kill time when I can. I know games like Spiderman won't work because of the 1 GB restriction and I've heard mixed experiences with the GBA emulator. Also, Asphalt 7 apparently keeps switching from available to not being compatible with the 520. Are there any other games or apps that don't work with the 512?

-Snappiness. Anyone had experience with this phone lagging? Any little thing from the keyboard freezing, to the home button not responding or videos getting choppy. I know the phone looks fast and fluid in demos because the presenter isn't really doing anything. But when multitasking and downloading games, music, etc does the phone ever start slowing down?

-How does the $30/mo Walmart plan work? I'm currently on T-Mobile's "Monthy 4g" after I bought my phone outright and pay 50-60 a month depending on how much 4G data I need. Since I almost never call anyone, a $30 plan for unlimited everything except for 100 minutes is way too good for me to pass up. How does that work since I'm already a T-Mobile customer?

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I see. that is a predicament. I didn't realize some carriers in Canada used AWS 1700/2100 (I thought that was a US thing, seeing as those bands are missing in practically any phone you buy outside of the US, for the most part, from what I have seen.).

2100 is a common 3G band in Europe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99