03-31-2016 09:52 PM
217 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I think it made my WiFi calling clearer. I had a bit of distortion before that seems to be gone now, and noticed that one of the updates had to do with WiFi calling. Low light performance of camera is better. This made a great phone deal that much better :)
    Last edited by Smyrna5; 08-15-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    08-15-2013 02:43 PM
    Glance screen is not coming to 521 unfortunately.
    Some people have said that "Glance" is a battery hog. If true, We're better off without it.

The FM radio is there, but it told me I needed to plug in headphones, I was hoping to l listen through my Bluetooth.
    The frequencies used by FM require an antenna of 2-3 feet to get decent reception. The wires on the headphone have the right length, so the phone relies on the headphone's wire to capture the radio waves. A Bluetooth headset has no wires, therefore it's useless to the phone as an antenna. My old Creative ZVM MP3 player also has FM capabilities and it needs the earphones to tune to the stations as well.
    08-15-2013 03:09 PM
    Updating now. Looking forward to it.

I don't have a problem with Glance not being available. IMO, that's the sort of feature that needs to differentiate premium phones from the low end ones like this one. All phones should have enough memory to run all apps (which the 521 doesn't unfortunately), but not all phones should have premium features.
    08-15-2013 04:01 PM
    Some people have said that "Glance" is a battery hog. If true, We're better off without it.
    agree. on symbian it was a major battery hog imo..
    08-15-2013 05:13 PM
    What happened to Double-Tap-to-Wake feature?!? That's one of the main features I was waiting for! AT&T Lumia 520 had it out of the box! Even after waiting and waiting for the official update, getting the update, the 521 STILL doesn't have it??! :mad:
    08-15-2013 05:16 PM
    Does the AT&T 520 have WiFi Calling??? I can't seem to find a reference to it anywhere. If not, that may explain why the 521 is a smidgen longer, and also why the 521 didn't get "double tap" hardware. Just speculating.

Personally, I really need WiFi calling at my location, but I can live without double tap.It may also explain why the 520 is slightly cheaper to buy. I have 2 blackberries - one is an unlocked AT&T 8310 w/o WiFi calling. The other is a T-Mo 8320 with WiFi Calling (UMA) built in. bought the 8320 used just to get WiFi Calling. To this day, the one with WiFi calling has a higher resale value for that reason.
    08-15-2013 06:39 PM
    I doubt if any AT&T branded device would have WiFi calling, since AT&T's network has never supported that feature.
    08-15-2013 06:44 PM
    At&t has no WiFiCalling at all on their network.
    Smyrna5 likes this.
    08-15-2013 06:48 PM
    Bingo - That makes me think all the websites saying these two phones have identical hardware may be wrong.
    08-15-2013 06:53 PM
    WiFi calling doesn't require any additional hardware. It simply uses the WiFi antenna that is already built in. In essence, the process that T-Mobile is using for WiFi calling is little different than Skype (just not adding the video capability) or Vonage (when the app is released), which work on AT&T phones.
    08-15-2013 10:01 PM
    WiFi calling doesn't require any additional hardware. It simply uses the WiFi antenna that is already built in. In essence, the process that T-Mobile is using for WiFi calling is little different than Skype (just not adding the video capability) or Vonage (when the app is released), which work on AT&T phones.
    Nope. Otherwise, every smartphone on tmobile would have wifi calling. GEN1 and GEN2 wifi calling required specially added hardware to phones during manufacturing. GEN3, however, does not require specially added hardware, but it does require hardware compatible with its specific configuration. Not all devices can support the hardware configuration necessary for WiFi calling. no one seems to understand that.

If you go to the smartcam page, Nokia Smart Cam | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) there's an update. I spoofed with a proxy server to be a 1020 and got the update.
    Can you show me how to do the spoof thing? or at least a link. The upcoming 625 has 512MB ram and supports SmartCam, yet the 521 after update is still given the general 'unavailable for your device "may be for a different country" or "may need an update"' message
    08-15-2013 10:29 PM
    The trick with WiFi calling is not so much a "special configuration", it is that it needs hardware that has the processing power and WiFi connection to deliver a quality call over WiFi. In these cases, it is largely older phones, say phones that don't have the newer audio processors or poorer WiFi connections (say, only supports 802.11g standard). The issue with those phones is not that they can't do WiFi calling, it is rather that the call clarity won't be high enough quality to meet T-Mobile's standards. Notice that even current low end phones, such as the LG L9, support WiFi calling. The other issue is that T-Mobile is adding WiFi calling at the OS level so, for example, the iPhone does not have WiFi calling, despite having the hardware capable to support it, because Apple won't let T-Mobile modify iOS. This is also why the Nexus 4, which has "pure Android" without T-Mobile modifications, does not support T-Mobile's WiFi calling.

Beyond that, as you point out, it would be no added hardware. Even if T-Mobile required Nokia to change a part to better support WiFi calling, it is unlikely changing that part would add an additional 4 mm in size. Instead, you are likely looking at replacing one small chip for another. It is also worth pointing out that there appears to be no added cost for the 521 over the 520 (despite the fact T-Mobile Prepaid is charging more, both the AT&T 520 and the MetroPCS 521 cost $99. For some reason, T-Mobile seems to be charging premium prices for all their prepaid phones, not just the 521.

It would be interesting to see a tear down of the two phones, and see what differences there are. As far as published specs, there are no differences -- same processor, same GPU, same memory, same battery, etc.
    Last edited by mogelijk; 08-15-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Smyrna5 likes this.
    08-15-2013 11:12 PM
    Not to beat a dead horse, but there is more than one way to implement WiFi Calling. One of the most stable (supposedly) and one that hands off calls to the network when you get out of range of your router is called UMA. UMA requires additional hardware on the chipset. The 521 supposedly has UMA onboard. Presumably the 520 does not.
    08-16-2013 06:15 AM
    Something I certainly don't remember being there is the ability to block numbers, which is a great addition. Just long hold a txt or a phone number in your history and the option displays, whereas there was only "delete" previously...unless I just somehow completely missed it before.
    08-16-2013 07:50 AM
    Call blocking and SMS blocking are new features amber added this.
    08-16-2013 07:58 AM
    after the phone rebooted by itself(went through the gears and then Nokia/T-mobile logo) my phone is now stuck on the black screen with the backlight still lit
    08-16-2013 09:06 AM
    How long has it been Optimus? Mine did some strange things for 5-10 minutes after the gears went away. If it doesn't come back after 20 minutes or so, I would probably take out the battery and see if I could reboot.
    08-16-2013 09:19 AM
    been about an hour now.. i also tried a battery pull. it goes through nokia and tmo logo then stays on black screen
    08-16-2013 09:28 AM
    As Dustin implied, T-Mobile used to use UMA (he merely stated hardware) in their initial implementation of WiFi calling. When T-Mobile used UMA is also the time when MMS worked with WiFi calling on, something we know that does not work with the 520 -- which is a clear indicator T-Mobile does not use UMA. Instead, T-Mobile is currently in it's third generation of WiFi calling, using IMS. Overview: IMS Wi-Fi Calling | T-Mobile Support

The 521 may have a UMA chip, and that may be a difference between the 520 and 521, but T-Mobile does not appear to be using it for WiFi calling.
    Smyrna5 likes this.
    08-16-2013 09:28 AM
    mogelijk - one test might be to initiate a WiFI call using WiFi calling, then move outside the router's range and see if the call jumps to the T-Mo network. My understanding is that UMA will do the jump, but software only implemented WiFi calling won't. I am not an expert, so that is based only on what I have read in the past. I tried the test this morning, but my signal is so weak outside that it dropped me.

By the way, my old Blackberry 8320, which was definitely supposed to use UMA still worked on my WiFI calls before I bought the 521 a few weeks ago. Its an interesting question that's bugging my brain.
    08-16-2013 09:32 AM
    mogelijk - one test might be to initiate a WiFI call using WiFi calling, then move outside the router's range and see if the call jumps to the T-Mo network.
    It does not (I've tried), and it even says so in the app - both the Wi-Fi Preferred and W-Fi only say "requires you to stay in the WiFi range".

There is no doubt that T-Mobile changed the way they handle WiFi calling, in order to be able to implement it on an OS level instead of a hardware level, so more devices could take advantage of it (trading the drawbacks of having to stay in range and no MMS for expanded user base, although the table linked to above says MMS should work... hmm...). There's plenty of information about this out there, see links posted above by mogelijk for example.
    Smyrna5 likes this.
    08-16-2013 12:45 PM
    Thanks Mike, and mogelijk. That makes sense. If the call can't make the jump, its probably not UMA. I guess the websites that reported UMA on a 521 when it first came out were just using the term as a synonym for WiFi Calling.
    08-16-2013 01:14 PM
    My 521 updated to the AMBER version. However, I cannot see the Call + SMS blocker feature at all. I tried to reboot my phone and double- and triple-checked... still nothing. I also attempted to click on phone update again.. but nothing yet. Any help or suggestions, please?
    08-16-2013 05:14 PM
    My 521 updated to the AMBER version. However, I cannot see the Call + SMS blocker feature at all. I tried to reboot my phone and double- and triple-checked... still nothing. I also attempted to click on phone update again.. but nothing yet. Any help or suggestions, please?
    Update the Extra+info
    08-16-2013 05:15 PM
    I've tested it: when you move out of WiFi range the phone does NOT jump to cellular in a phone call but instead drops the call.
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    08-16-2013 05:19 PM
217 ... 45678 ...