Software&Firmware Updates 521-GDR3/Black

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Firmware Updates released 521

after the phone rebooted by itself(went through the gears and then Nokia/T-mobile logo) my phone is now stuck on the black screen with the backlight still lit

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

How long has it been Optimus? Mine did some strange things for 5-10 minutes after the gears went away. If it doesn't come back after 20 minutes or so, I would probably take out the battery and see if I could reboot.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

been about an hour now.. i also tried a battery pull. it goes through nokia and tmo logo then stays on black screen

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Software&Firmware Updates released 521

As Dustin implied, T-Mobile used to use UMA (he merely stated hardware) in their initial implementation of WiFi calling. When T-Mobile used UMA is also the time when MMS worked with WiFi calling on, something we know that does not work with the 520 -- which is a clear indicator T-Mobile does not use UMA. Instead, T-Mobile is currently in it's third generation of WiFi calling, using IMS. Overview: IMS Wi-Fi Calling | T-Mobile Support

The 521 may have a UMA chip, and that may be a difference between the 520 and 521, but T-Mobile does not appear to be using it for WiFi calling.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

mogelijk - one test might be to initiate a WiFI call using WiFi calling, then move outside the router's range and see if the call jumps to the T-Mo network. My understanding is that UMA will do the jump, but software only implemented WiFi calling won't. I am not an expert, so that is based only on what I have read in the past. I tried the test this morning, but my signal is so weak outside that it dropped me.

By the way, my old Blackberry 8320, which was definitely supposed to use UMA still worked on my WiFI calls before I bought the 521 a few weeks ago. Its an interesting question that's bugging my brain.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

mogelijk - one test might be to initiate a WiFI call using WiFi calling, then move outside the router's range and see if the call jumps to the T-Mo network.
It does not (I've tried), and it even says so in the app - both the Wi-Fi Preferred and W-Fi only say "requires you to stay in the WiFi range".

There is no doubt that T-Mobile changed the way they handle WiFi calling, in order to be able to implement it on an OS level instead of a hardware level, so more devices could take advantage of it (trading the drawbacks of having to stay in range and no MMS for expanded user base, although the table linked to above says MMS should work... hmm...). There's plenty of information about this out there, see links posted above by mogelijk for example.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Mike, and mogelijk. That makes sense. If the call can't make the jump, its probably not UMA. I guess the websites that reported UMA on a 521 when it first came out were just using the term as a synonym for WiFi Calling.

bizfox

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

My 521 updated to the AMBER version. However, I cannot see the Call + SMS blocker feature at all. I tried to reboot my phone and double- and triple-checked... still nothing. I also attempted to click on phone update again.. but nothing yet. Any help or suggestions, please?

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

My 521 updated to the AMBER version. However, I cannot see the Call + SMS blocker feature at all. I tried to reboot my phone and double- and triple-checked... still nothing. I also attempted to click on phone update again.. but nothing yet. Any help or suggestions, please?
Update the Extra+info

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I've tested it: when you move out of WiFi range the phone does NOT jump to cellular in a phone call but instead drops the call.
Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I just found out how to do the spoof trick using fiddler. :excited:

I got Nokia ProCam to install, and actually took a photo with it (though im insure how far the software can go on the device). I also have Nokia SmartCam, and both Video Trimmer and Video Upload. Sadly the trick didnt work for Zinio magazines :(

Its nice to know that Pro Cam works. The settings seem operational, and its set as my default camera. Still wished it could open under lock like the stock camera. perhaps GDR3 will fix that.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I just found out how to do the spoof trick using fiddler. :excited:

I got Nokia ProCam to install, and actually took a photo with it (though im insure how far the software can go on the device). I also have Nokia SmartCam, and both Video Trimmer and Video Upload. Sadly the trick didnt work for Zinio magazines :(

Its nice to know that Pro Cam works. The settings seem operational, and its set as my default camera. Still wished it could open under lock like the stock camera. perhaps GDR3 will fix that.

Care to share? :)

EDIT: was it this, but different device name?
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...kia-video-upload-video-trimmer-l920-gdr2.html

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

That would be it. I changed the phone model it said to replace to RM-917_nam_usa_100. And fiddler is a software used to capture (or in this case, partially modify) web traffic and requests from your PC, the way I understand. That's why you use your pc's IP address for a phone proxy. The software changes that line of code when searching the Windows store on your phone. Also, so far procam works good (it will tell you to close programs if too many are open though, due to memory constraints.) I actually find it odd ProCam is 512MB compatible, considering the devices its restricted to.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

been about an hour now.. i also tried a battery pull. it goes through nokia and tmo logo then stays on black screen

Mine got stuck on the T-Mobile splash screen. After waiting 15 minutes or so I pulled the battery and then it started up fine.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

That would be it. I changed the phone model it said to replace to RM-917_nam_usa_100. And fiddler is a software used to capture (or in this case, partially modify) web traffic and requests from your PC, the way I understand. That's why you use your pc's IP address for a phone proxy. The software changes that line of code when searching the Windows store on your phone. Also, so far procam works good (it will tell you to close programs if too many are open though, due to memory constraints.) I actually find it odd ProCam is 512MB compatible, considering the devices its restricted to.

Its a long story as to how come I have that, but I was able to use the proxy method to get the pro cam to my Lumia 822 and it works great.

note... disable email sync in this case as you are using someone else's proxy.

[PROXY] Everything at once - xda-developers

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Bear with me I am old and slow........So you don't change "the name of the phone" you fool the store into thinking it is a different phone. Is that a correct statement? So your firmware is the same you have just added apps that should not be on the phone.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

@Calfee20 basically, yes. The store only filters search requests, not downloads. So by using the method you linked, you fool the store into thinking its another phone. However, you must disable the phone proxy in WiFi settings after initiating download.

@Smyrna5 I would trust the method me and calfee20 mentioned more. It sends the traffic over your own PC, as apposed to sending it to some server somewhere, like your linked method, which imposes security risks.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Anyone notice an improvement of the camera? I mean, its still better in ProCam, but even in the stock camera app, ive noticed the image quality, especially in low light situations, seems improved to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077