Software&Firmware Updates 521-GDR3/Black

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Software&Firmware Updates released 521

Well, I've definitely had mixed results with this latest update in the past 24 hours...

Just before the update, the past week had been so significantly (and suddenly) buggy, I had to request a warranty replacement - which I'm waiting on now. The problem seemed to be storage-related - like it could no longer access the Flash chip containing user, system, cache data, etc. With any light usage, the phone would stop responding and reboot. First, after pulling it out of my pocket and flicking back the lock screen, it would fail to launch apps - hanging about 30 seconds at a blank screen, then crash back to the launcher, followed by spontaneously rebooting about a minute later. Easily repeated, lasted all week, and it started without any (significant) previous symptoms.

After the update, it's become stable again, but always stays warm to the touch at the back above the camera. Very warm (almost burn-hot) while charging, and moderately warm all night after charging while plugged in and "asleep". Battery drops like a rock and I've gone through 4 whole charge/discharge cycles in this 24-hour period alone according to Battery Sense, at an average runtime - mostly asleep - of about 3 hours and 8 minutes (see attachments). Very light usage - no phone calls, about 15-20 texts, and about 2 hours of Wi-Fi internet sharing use.

Needless to say, I'll still be doing that replacement. Hoping this gets better. My phone is pretty much unusable now. :/

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130817_0002.png
    wp_ss_20130817_0002.png
    87 KB · Views: 14
  • wp_ss_20130818_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130818_0001.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That seems unrelated to this update though. I'm going on 16 hours without a charge with no issues. Maybe it's a hardware problem or some app you're using that doesn't shut down properly.

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

Upgraded the wife and kids phones last night to GDR2. Total time per phone was just over 1 hour. Only one of the phones stated that there wasn't enough storage for the update so I just deleted the three top apps using storage. They can always be re-installed. Other than that no issues. It does take a bit of time before the call+SMS filter shows up in settings. Also after the final reboot the phone seems to do some maintenance. The back got a bit warm on all 3 phones and in about 5 minutes it went away. The primary features we were looking for on the 521 was the fix to other storage and call and SMS blocking. I know if I was on AT&T it would have been over 6 to 8 months before this update would have been droppped. T-Mobile seems to be commited to this platform and did a great job making sure that WiFi calling and datasense works.

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Just got my replacement phone today - though the old one had returned to normal stability after the update and two hard resets.

Interesting observation: the new phone, which was shipped just *before* the Amber update, already had the update applied. Cool! ^_^

RadioActiveLunch

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates for 521 coming Soon

No glance screen or double tap to wake :(

also they changed one of the ringtones. For text messages, I use Nokia Message, but after the update, it got more high pitched. Is this just for me?

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

No glance screen or double tap to wake :(

also they changed one of the ringtones. For text messages, I use Nokia Message, but after the update, it got more high pitched. Is this just for me?

No, mine sounds like two coconuts banging together.

Well, I've definitely had mixed results with this latest update in the past 24 hours...

Just before the update, the past week had been so significantly (and suddenly) buggy, I had to request a warranty replacement - which I'm waiting on now. The problem seemed to be storage-related - like it could no longer access the Flash chip containing user, system, cache data, etc. With any light usage, the phone would stop responding and reboot. First, after pulling it out of my pocket and flicking back the lock screen, it would fail to launch apps - hanging about 30 seconds at a blank screen, then crash back to the launcher, followed by spontaneously rebooting about a minute later. Easily repeated, lasted all week, and it started without any (significant) previous symptoms.

After the update, it's become stable again, but always stays warm to the touch at the back above the camera. Very warm (almost burn-hot) while charging, and moderately warm all night after charging while plugged in and "asleep". Battery drops like a rock and I've gone through 4 whole charge/discharge cycles in this 24-hour period alone according to Battery Sense, at an average runtime - mostly asleep - of about 3 hours and 8 minutes (see attachments). Very light usage - no phone calls, about 15-20 texts, and about 2 hours of Wi-Fi internet sharing use.

Needless to say, I'll still be doing that replacement. Hoping this gets better. My phone is pretty much unusable now. :/

That seems unrelated to this update though. I'm going on 16 hours without a charge with no issues. Maybe it's a hardware problem or some app you're using that doesn't shut down properly.

Has to be a hardware or app problem. I get anywhere from 12-24 hours of use depending on the signal and how I use it. Notice that in Chicago I seem to show 4G, but the internet wont work properly. Im guessing this is because of the buildings in downtown, or the phone not being used to the towers in the area?

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Anyone know if Amber was released on metropcs or will be ? Thanks in advance.

Someone said on another thread that T-Mobile will probably push the update on behalf of MetroPCS. But no one has confirmed that yet. I'm curious about it too as I'm considering the 521 from MetroPCS.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

So, my daughter's 521 was updated, just before she went back to college, by mid week she told me her apps wouldn't work and picture messaging either. She wanted to know if it was ok to take to a T-Mo corp store where she's at. They thought maybe the update was stuck and to download 'zune' to fix it. WTF??!? Really, Zune was for before Win8 phones. I talked her thru the process of hard resetting her phone, which repaired whatever was wrong and it redownloaded Amber and GDR2. Long story short, wifi calling can mess your phones' apps up, once it was turned off, everything seems normal in the app world.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

So, my daughter's 521 was updated, just before she went back to college, by mid week she told me her apps wouldn't work and picture messaging either. She wanted to know if it was ok to take to a T-Mo corp store where she's at. They thought maybe the update was stuck and to download 'zune' to fix it. WTF??!? Really, Zune was for before Win8 phones. I talked her thru the process of hard resetting her phone, which repaired whatever was wrong and it redownloaded Amber and GDR2. Long story short, wifi calling can mess your phones' apps up, once it was turned off, everything seems normal in the app world.

I never heard of that... is the wifi calling app up to date?

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Updated my to GDR2 a couple of days ago! Takes like 12 minutes to do the download and processing. Reboots itself afterwards. Works fine!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Picture messaging does not work when WiFi Calling is active.
I've had no problems with any apps though while it is active.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Adding Product Codes for 521 to first page for NCS flashing.

059T039 RM-917 VAR NAM US METROPCS WIRELESS

059S0B4 RM-917 VAR US T-MOBILE SL

059S000 RM-917 PWBASSY LIGHT SWAP ENG GLOBAL <-This must be the really expensive Unsubsidized unlocked version that you can get from Expansys and NegriElectronics. Wonder if it has no T-Mobile logo on boot etc. Checked NCS not gdr2/amber. Still Portico(gdr1) 1030.6409.1311.0001 very first version that came on phone.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Looks like Nokia pulled the GR2/Amber update for 521..not on NCS anymore or my ncs is too outdated..

But the dropbox and mega download link still works..

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Amber / GDR2 was pulled for Lumia 810 (T-Mobile), 822 (Verizon) und 928 (Verizon), too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99