The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    So, I am currently an owner of a 920 from At&t. After seeing the budget $129 521 from Walmart I was tempted to pick one up as a media device. I workout a lot, and I pay for Xbox Music and the L920 is just rather big so it would be awesome if I could get a 521 and use it simply for music, videos, etc.

Now, if I'm mistaken, Xbox music actually requires an internet connection to work properly? I could always try and get other apps like Spotify or something, but I'm unsure if they require a SIM connection or Wifi. Have any of you tried doing this with other windows phones? Any advice would be awesome, I certainly don't want to buy it and never use it unless I have to.
    05-09-2013 07:46 PM
    This is actually a good idea. I use my 920 all the time to listen to podcasts and audio books.... A smaller device would be nice and keep the chances of damaging my 920 at a minimum....
    05-09-2013 08:02 PM
    This is part of my goal for my 521 - also want to use it for GPS.

So far I have not been overly impressed with podcast functionality, but Audible works fine. I'll have to see. I really need a good podcasting app for it to work for me.
    05-09-2013 08:13 PM
    Idk if GPS will work without a cellular plan... I have a 900 with no SIM and games/apps can't seem to get a location. Maybe if it was unlocked?
    05-09-2013 08:23 PM
    I have a sim in it, but the sim is not activated - I do wonder whether the SIM will expire
    05-09-2013 08:51 PM
    Idk if GPS will work without a cellular plan... I have a 900 with no SIM and games/apps can't seem to get a location. Maybe if it was unlocked?
    Couldn't they use Nokia Drive with offline navigation?
    05-09-2013 08:58 PM
    I'm not sure... I'll charge the old 900, give it a go and report back.
    05-09-2013 09:24 PM
    I'm not sure... I'll charge the old 900, give it a go and report back.
    I dunno if 7.x devices get offline maps, do they? I know 8.x devices do.
    05-09-2013 09:34 PM
    No Sim on my phone, yet.

GPS will work even if you do not have a cellular or wifi connection just take a while sometimes for it get accurate postition.

has for X-box Music a internet connection is required in order to stream and download songs, but, it does have an offline mode.
    05-09-2013 09:50 PM
    You can download maps over WiFi and use the maps offline. I think the GPS locator will work, even without a SIM card.

As for Xbox Music, you don't need an internet connection for it to work unless you're streaming. Music Pass lets you download music, so you can download it to the SD Card and listen to it. You only need internet access if you want to stream.

So this device could be used as a GPS and a music player even without a cell provider.
    05-09-2013 09:51 PM
    My son got one for to use as a media device. But since it will do WiFi calling, I guess it might be doing more.
    05-09-2013 10:06 PM
    My son got one for to use as a media device. But since it will do WiFi calling, I guess it might be doing more.
    If by wifi calling you mean VOIP integrated apps, then sure.

If by Wifi Calling as in the one coming in a future update, he will need an IMS Wifi Calling compatible SIM card and a T-Mobile plan to use that (you still need a plan yah know!). Not to mention a full system reset to activate it (weird, I know)

Oh, and T-Mobile still charges you for minutes on Wifi calling if you are on a prepaid plan, btw.

anyways, this could easily be an alternative to say an iPod touch or "Galaxy Player", as well as cheaper (based on the latest gen iPod cost vs the Nokia Lumia 521 cost).
    05-09-2013 11:17 PM
    beware, ask if you can transfer your Nokia Music subscription before pulling the trigger.
    05-09-2013 11:24 PM
    If you do pull the trigger, and it does not work, im seeing 521's sell on Ebay for $200+, so you wont loose anything ;)
    05-10-2013 12:38 PM
    beware, ask if you can transfer your Nokia Music subscription before pulling the trigger.
    ??? I don't understand what you mean.
    05-10-2013 01:20 PM
    The 520 and 521 do not have the equalizer and dolby audio settings.
    05-14-2013 11:32 PM
    I know. :( I installed the audio settings via Lumia Pusher. Not only is their nothing in the menu, I cant remove it either.
    05-15-2013 12:52 AM
    Since the 521 does not have any audio settings, I was wondering how it sounds with headphones or earphones? Is the sound clear, bassy or just mehhh? Looking to finally get rid of my HTC HD7 but I'd hate to lose the equalizer in the case of poor sounding audio.
    05-15-2013 08:16 AM
    Since the 521 does not have any audio settings, I was wondering how it sounds with headphones or earphones? Is the sound clear, bassy or just mehhh? .
    Audio is clear, crisp, with a little bass. But I wear these MDR-EX58V, the type of headphones or earbuds you have will make a difference in how audio sounds. The audio to me sound much better than it was on Focus Flash.
    05-15-2013 09:32 AM
    I would like to purchase a 521 just to use on WiFi to download games, do WiFi calls, and listen to music. I have no intention of activating it or anything. Has anyone done this? Do you need to activate it in order to use it at all?
    Thank you!
    05-26-2013 04:19 PM
    Wifi Calling would require a Sim and Phone Number in order to work. Wifi Calling will not work without that. Phone does not need to be activated to use it all.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-26-2013 04:51 PM
    Wifi Calling would require a Sim and Phone Number in order to work. Wifi Calling will not work without that. Phone does not need to be activated to use it all.
    They could always use Skype or some other VOIP if they desire though in place of Wifi Calling.
    05-26-2013 08:39 PM
    I'm tempted to purchase one to play around with Windows Mobile 8 over wifi. It would make a good GPS as well. In a few months, there'll probably be a good number of used ones under $100 on the secondary market.
    06-09-2013 10:28 PM
    Since the 521 does not have any audio settings, I was wondering how it sounds with headphones or earphones? Is the sound clear, bassy or just mehhh? Looking to finally get rid of my HTC HD7 but I'd hate to lose the equalizer in the case of poor sounding audio.
    The lack of audio settings is a drag. This weekend I tried to stream music to a Bluetooth enabled receiver. In settings it would connect via Bluetooth but no sound. If I switched to Bluetooth headphones it worked great. I guess I'm used to iOS or android where you can route the audio easily.

It might have been the Bluetooth stereo receiver which is a little long in the tooth.
    06-12-2013 07:48 AM
    I think the 521's music player sounds pretty decent for such a low price device. It does not really surprise me cause if Nokia is known for anything besides it's camera technology, it's the quality of their devices audio playback. Even in their lower end devices. I still remember the 5800 Xpress Music. While most of it's other features were nothing to write home about, it's music reproduction was and still is some of the best I've ever heard in a cell phone or mp3 player.

I use the Lumia 521's music player primarily when I'm driving. I stream it through the SYNC in my Ford Vehicle. It really sounds good. I can tweak the audio settings through the car's stereo if I need to. I don't really use it with headphones so I can't really say how it sounds in that respect, but with a device that you can adjust settings if needed, it sounds smooth, clean and vibrant.
    Last edited by Oakdale Dude; 06-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    06-12-2013 09:43 AM