521 Pricing at Microsoft Stores?

HowardZinn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been following the launch of the 521 and am thinking about buying one this weekend at the Microsoft store in Boston (assuming it looks good when I try it).

I'm curious if the pricing is set for Microsoft stores though? Is it going to be the same $129 that Wal-mart has been selling them for? I'd prefer to pick one up this weekend if they're available and I like it, but not if the price is going to be more (can't get to a Wal-mart where I live).

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
if im correct its the original pricing of $150. Oddly enough, I thought I remembered the T-Mobile announcement saying it would be $150 at Microsoft stores and walmart. The fact that its 20 less at walmart is confusing me

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been following the launch of the 521 and am thinking about buying one this weekend at the Microsoft store in Boston (assuming it looks good when I try it).

I'm curious if the pricing is set for Microsoft stores though? Is it going to be the same $129 that Wal-mart has been selling them for? I'd prefer to pick one up this weekend if they're available and I like it, but not if the price is going to be more (can't get to a Wal-mart where I live).

I called my Microsoft Store today and they said it would be $149, though I've had them price match in the past so you may be able to ask them about that.

HowardZinn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I called my Microsoft Store today and they said it would be $149, though I've had them price match in the past so you may be able to ask them about that.

If I like it, I'll mention a price match and see what happens. Will report back tomorrow if I have success.

One thing I 'm curious about is the 512mb RAM. How problematic is that going to be on this device in terms of apps/games? I don't plan on being an app maniac myself, but will things like Skype, OpenTable, Pandora, etc. work OK? Any big names app that won't work? The only game that I can think of that I really want is Skulls of the Shogun. Anyone know if that will work?

I'd answer these questions myself, but just looking at the Windows Phone app store online, I never seem to see such requirements. Just things about screen sizes and data connection.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
If I like it, I'll mention a price match and see what happens. Will report back tomorrow if I have success.

One thing I 'm curious about is the 512mb RAM. How problematic is that going to be on this device in terms of apps/games? I don't plan on being an app maniac myself, but will things like Skype, OpenTable, Pandora, etc. work OK? Any big names app that won't work? The only game that I can think of that I really want is Skulls of the Shogun. Anyone know if that will work?

I'd answer these questions myself, but just looking at the Windows Phone app store online, I never seem to see such requirements. Just things about screen sizes and data connection.

Those apps you listed should be okay. However, oddly enough, there are more apps appearing that are requiring 1GB ram when they, in theory, have no business doing so. (Zinio newsstand, for example.) But for a majority of apps and games I think you are safe. :)

HowardZinn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Realized I never came back to this thread as I was doing some traveling over the weekend.

Had an absolutely EPIC experience at the Microsoft store in Boston on Saturday morning. I went straight for the 521 when I got there and was immediately blown away by the quality of a device that is supposed to be low end. The screen was better than I was expecting, it felt really good in the hand and was as light as a feather.

A store rep came over to help me and gave me a bunch of info on Windows Phone in general and the 521 in particular. Now, the reality is I've already been doing my research on the phone anyway, but I like to test out reps when I'm in a physical retail store just to see if they know their stuff. In this case, my rep was very knowledgeable about the phone, both the pros and cons, and if I didn't have any previous knowledge about the phone, I feel like he would have been able to help me make a smart decision.

Once we got through all that, we got down to pricing. I asked for the retail price on the phone which produced the $149 mark. I asked if they were price matching the Wal-mart online listing, which produced an affirmative with no hesitation. Bang, down $20 right there. Quite frankly, I would have walked out of the store as happy as could be at that price, but then the rep asked if I had ever taken the Bing It On Challenge. Again, I've taken it several times online (with varying results), but I wanted to see where he was going with things, so said no. He said that they could knock another $25 off the price if I take it. BOOM. It took all of 2 minutes, and I end up walking out of the store with an impressive phone phone for about $110 (tax included).

The only disappointing part of the experience was that they couldn't get me hooked up with the $30 prepaid T-mobile plan, so I had to go bounding off to the T-mobile store to get that taken care of (awful experience on that end, but not much Microsoft/Nokia can do about that).

Actually had a chance to test out the camera yesterday, so I might load those in the appropriate thread later today. The phone itself flies in terms of performance. The apps situation was a lot better than expected given all the negativity around WP (Weave is a particular highlight for me so far; just wished they had official apps from the major sports leagues to make getting highlights easier). I also popped my micro SD in and, without formatting, everything showed up basically perfectly, which was great Saturday as the Wi-fi on Amtrak blows at times. The only real concern I have going forward is the low RAM, but I wouldn't let that deter folks thinking about purchasing the phone right now. WP itself has some annoying niggles that I've spotted, but they're hopefully things MS can correct in short order.

On a side note, what's the deal with this update coming from T-mobile for the Wi-fi calling? It's absolutely useless on the plan I have, so I don't really need/want it, but is it going to reset all my apps and stuff if I update? Also, I wasn't sure if I wanted to port my old phone number over to T-mobile until I had made sure the service would work for me (it's actually been solid so far, thankfully). I'm assuming I won't lose anything if I get another SIM and port my number over, correct?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The only disappointing part of the experience was that they couldn't get me hooked up with the $30 prepaid T-mobile plan, so I had to go bounding off to the T-mobile store to get that taken care of (awful experience on that end, but not much Microsoft/Nokia can do about that).

On a side note, what's the deal with this update coming from T-mobile for the Wi-fi calling? It's absolutely useless on the plan I have, so I don't really need/want it, but is it going to reset all my apps and stuff if I update? Also, I wasn't sure if I wanted to port my old phone number over to T-mobile until I had made sure the service would work for me (it's actually been solid so far, thankfully). I'm assuming I won't lose anything if I get another SIM and port my number over, correct?

If the Microsoft Store had a prepaid SIM + activation kit, I think you could have done it yourself on one of their computers.

I don't know if it'll force you to reset, because all it says is a "hardware reset is required to add the feature." I think you have to do the hardware reset yourself, which probably explains why many people weren't aware that the T-Mobile HTC 8X already received Wi-Fi calling back in March.

I also think you can ask customer service to port your number over, I don't think you need a new SIM.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
You may have to port your number over to an inactivated SIM so if you're using the phones SIM under a different number you may need a new one. Glad to see u went to the Microsoft store. They've always been great to me! :)

baconeneggs

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the $30 / month 5GB prepaid SIM plan from T-mobile a few months ago. Kept the number they gave me for that time period until I was satisfied that the service worked in my area. I then called the 800 # for porting numbers to T-Mobile and they moved my Sprint number to my existing SIM card and within an hour or so, no need to get a new SIM. After reading this thread, I'm very tempted to head the local Microsoft store and check out the 521

HowardZinn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the $30 / month 5GB prepaid SIM plan from T-mobile a few months ago. Kept the number they gave me for that time period until I was satisfied that the service worked in my area. I then called the 800 # for porting numbers to T-Mobile and they moved my Sprint number to my existing SIM card and within an hour or so, no need to get a new SIM. After reading this thread, I'm very tempted to head the local Microsoft store and check out the 521

Cool, thanks for the info. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the 521. Great little device. Heck, even if you don't want to use the thing as a phone, it's less than half the cost of an iPod touch and has expandable memory. Unbelievable deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo