1st Pics on Flickr From My Brand New Lumia 521!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Just picked this up on eBay and of course paid too much for it - will probably release next week for next to nothing but couldn't resist.

Anyway if anyone wants to see what the little non-flash 5MP cam on this can do..

Flickr: The Lumia 520 Lumia 521 Pool

Overall -

Pros:
Overall Pic Quality
Nice Clarity and Focus
Camera Opens FAST
Shutter Fast as well, no BS
Closeup is great - you can get your lens within about 3.5"
Cinemagraph Lens is outstanding.

Cons:
A bit light on the contrast (easily corrected in editors)
Panoramic sucks - the lens on this one creates way too much spherical distortion for it to be of any real use.
Very slight pink distortion at center of some photos - but hard to trace and easy to eliminate in editing.. nowhere NEAR the nasty pink burn in the Lumia 800 and 900

Summary - can't touch the PureView 808, 920 (or upcoming 928), but I think this camera (except for flash) can give iPhone 4S & 5 and Galaxy 4 a run for the money!

My reasons for purchasing the 521:

My first WP Phone was HTC's HD7 made for T-Mobile. I jumped into the Lumia 800 as soon as it was introduced (no warranty - bought a UK unit on eBay) then 900 about 6 months later. Loved everything about the phones and WP7 OS, but hated the cameras on both.
So when the PureView 808 came to Amazon last August, I bought it and have used as my primary phone since. The 808 has definitely given me many breathtaking photos. However, I found that after several months of using Symbian on the PureView 808, while I could do all the basics of social interation, email, browsing, etc.. the FP2 Belle Symbian is still pretty out of date. It's like trying to browse today's web with a 1990's version of aol. So after the tinkering honeymoon of the 808 was over, I found myself with an absolutely kickass camera that I was using on travel and weekends, but then week to week, stuck with a phone I wasn't too thrilled about otherwise (with all due respect to the flashlight, screensaver, Dolby, etc).

I always loved Windows phone - except for the lack of a good camera. So now with it's decent camera, the 521 is going to be my workhorse week to week, then for shoots, or trips, I can leave it at home and slide my SIM into the 808. And I have to say, going from Symbian to Windows 8 I feel like I'm coming in from out of the cold!

While the 920 and 928 have excellent cameras, I've been holding out - because at some point, I hope to ditch both my 521 and 808 in favor of the Windows OS 'Super' PureView that is rumored to be just around the corner.

Cheers all!!

Last edited:

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Photos are great... no wonder that it is the photographer in you that took these.. But I think Nokia has really turned up the camera stuff in WP8. May be Scaldo acquisition was good :).

binthham

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Noticed you did a lot of outdoor photos (which looked great by the way). How does it perform indoors? I'm just wondering how it performs inside under normal to low light conditions without the flash.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
noticed you did a lot of outdoor photos (which looked great by the way). How does it perform indoors? I'm just wondering how it performs inside under normal to low light conditions without the flash.

sucks!!!

You can get good results but need a very steady hand and a LOT of ambient light. Guess the PureView's spoiled me :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99