Lumia 521 or Huawei W1?

binthham

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Greetings Windows Phone peeps! Just wanted to bounce this off you and get your input. I currently have a prepaid Lumia 710 with T-Mobile which I love and have enjoyed having. But I want to get in on Windows Phone 8 and I have been waiting for a cheap prepaid Windows Phone 8. I think I am either going to go with the Lumia 521 on T-Mobile or Huawei's W1 which will be sold at Walmart soon (I assume as a Straight Talk phone). I like that both have the option for sd cards for additional storage as my Lumia 710 is approaching its max limit anyway (I'm around 7 GB at the moment). But can you save apps to the sd card? I am more concerned with app storage than photos/videos. Also, how are the pictures on the 521 without the LED flash? Does the 521 take good photos indoors in ordinary light? My Lumia 710 takes pretty good photos but it does have a flash and picture quality is important to me. I would especially like to hear from anyone that already has either of these phones. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks! -B

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
1. Recommendation.
- I would recommend the 521. I feel with Nokia's excellent support and app portfolio, not to mention hardware, you will be best off with it.

2. Memory.
- Windows Phone sadly does not allow saving Apps to the SD card. However, one can utilize most of the system memory for SD by telling the phone to save all media (Music, Pictures, Videos, etc...) to the SD, essentially giving it roughly 7GB (after OS used space) for Apps. Which unless you are downloading a ton of high-end 200 - 400mb games, you shouldn't fill that up to terribly quick.

Also, the Ascend W1 only has 4GB memory (according to GSM arena) and only supports up to 32GB sd cards, while the 521 has 8GB memory and supports up to 64GB sd cards.

3. Pictures.
- I would say it takes decent pictures. Its no 920, but images seem to appear nice.

Here are some pictures for example of image quality:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-521/225708-521-user-pics-vids.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...1st-pics-flickr-my-brand-new-lumia-521-a.html

As you see, the camera is fairly decent. (and raising or lowering the ISO can make the image clearer, or brighter)

4. Other:
- Granted, the Ascend W1 has a slightly faster processor, flash, compass (most likely), and ffc, however, WP8 is just as good with 1GHz processor as it is with 1.2GHz or 1.5GHz, and so on, so forth, and the flash and ffc are only necessary if you plan on a lot of video calling and night photography. The Nokia Lumia 521 will also have better support, being a Nokia device, as well as has better apps and more software features. Lumia Storage check allows you to clear temporary files, which is useful, and software such as Access Point make sure your network settings are correct. You get applications such as here drive, here maps, and others, as well as 4G and WiFi calling (latter to come in a future update on May 20th and requires a tmobile subscription, whether prepaid or main plan)

Overall:
If you are wanting the best of these two (or Memory is a must), go with the Lumia 521. It wins out almost all ways.
If you require either flash, a front facing camera, and/or (possibly) a compass/magnometer (which doesn't effect navigation, despite its name), you should go with the Ascend W1

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Tough to pick any device over a Nokia, all things equal. Nokia will support their WP, most other device makers just don't. I can see picking something over a Nokia if it is your preference: Those that just want a HTC or Samsung. But Huawei??? Tough sell for me. I am interested in how they do in our market and how they try to compete in the WP brand.

Obviously, I cannot comment on any of the photo aspects of either device. You will have to check reviews and actual performance in stores if you can.

Let us what you decide, and how you like them!!

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Definitely the 521. The build quality alone should be enough to swing it. The facts that you have Nokia's excellent support for windows phone along with exclusive apps is just a bonus! The Nokia looks nicer as well, in my opinion. My sister has this phone and she loves it to bits. Its brilliantly built and actually surprisingly fast. Very little difference between this and my 920, however that is the way with windows phones. They don't require huge hardware specs like android to run efficiently.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Best bet is to try out both phones. Huawei's specs for the W1 do beat most of those of the 521, with memory being a big loss at only 4 GB. If you really love apps and don't use the camera too often, the Nokia Lumia 521 would probably be better. If you like having a higher performance phone, use a front facing camera and/or flash, I would say to get the W1. Huawei may not have the support of Nokia, but they sure support their devices, unlike other phone makers.

binthham

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the input! I'm. Going to wait and see some more reviews but I am definitely leaning toward the Nokia 521.

will25u

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
When I went looking for the lumia I spotted the huawei w1 and it cost 230. At that price I would rather get the Nokia phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 521 has twice the internal storage, twice the allowed SD card support, exclusive apps...but costs HALF the price of the w1. In other words, you're getting double the goodies for half the price...but its ultimately up to you. :)

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 521 has twice the internal storage, twice the allowed SD card support, exclusive apps...but costs HALF the price of the w1. In other words, you're getting double the goodies for half the price...but its ultimately up to you. :)

Like he said.

only reason see for getting the Ascend is if you absolutely need a FFC or flash. If not, I think it would be unwise not to purchase the 521 (imo).

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
why do you need ffc.. if your answer is Skype, my friend is using Skype and it uses the back camera. Not ideal but still you can do it..

Anyway I have a 710 and It has no FFC and I don't miss it one bit. never used it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss