521 on StraightTalk?

irock97

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So if I buy the 521 can I use it on StraightTalk? In other words, if I pull the StraightTalk sim out of my galaxy and then put it in the Lumia will it work? Is there other stuff I would need to do?

irock97

May 12, 2013
Visit site
See this is why I'm confused. I've seen several things about unlocking the phone for StraightTalk. Do I have to do that? I have a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G that I used with my T-Mobile contract and when I cancelled my service and bought StraightTalk they just sent me a SIM card in the mail, I popped it in and changed the access point and bingo. I thought that all phones with SIM cards worked that way, but now I'm seeing all this stuff about unlocking the phone for StraightTalk.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Can anybody comment on tmobile unlocking the phone for use on at&t or straight talk at&t?

I requested a SIM unlock code from T-Mobile, and they said the phone needs to be active for 60 days, and at least $50.01 needs to be credited to the account, then they will give you the unlock code.

See this is why I'm confused. I've seen several things about unlocking the phone for StraightTalk. Do I have to do that? I have a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G that I used with my T-Mobile contract and when I cancelled my service and bought StraightTalk they just sent me a SIM card in the mail, I popped it in and changed the access point and bingo. I thought that all phones with SIM cards worked that way, but now I'm seeing all this stuff about unlocking the phone for StraightTalk.

First of all you must realize that your Straight Talk SIM might be different than the next guy's. Straight Talk uses all 4 major carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Obviously Verizon & Sprint service require CDMA phones, so for this discussion they don't count.

When you get a Straight Talk SIM, or a Straight Talk phone, you choose based on the carrier you want. This will likely depend on which carrier has the best service where you live and/or work. When you get a Straight Talk SIM, you get either a SIM that uses AT&T service or one that uses T-Mobile. Straight Talk AT&T SIMs actually aren't available anymore unless you get them from a 3rd party. If you get a Straight Talk SIM using AT&T, it will not work in the Lumia 521 (unless it's unlocked). A Straight Talk SIM using T-Mobile will work in the 521 without unlocking. The phone is locked to T-Mobile, but your SIM uses T-Mobile, so you're good to go!

irock97

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!! It all makes so much sense now. I have another related question. My Samsung Galaxy S 4G has both the T-Mobile and StraightTalk access points listed, and it won't let me delete the T-Mobile one. Also, after a few minutes it resets to the T-Mobile access point which doesn't work. So every time I need to use data I have to go into the networks menu and change the access point back to StraightTalk. Am I going to have the same problem on the 521?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You DO NOT need to unlock a T-Mobile phone to use with a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM. Go to their site. Tell it you have a T-Mobile phone and you will get the right SIM. Also, I have never known Straight Talk to use any CDMA network. Lastly, they no long sell AT&T sim cards though you cna buy them on ebay.

Straight Talk has the correct settings you will need with your 521. You will not have to switch info past the first time.

While I don't have Straight Talk for T-Mobile (I have it for At&T), it is the exact same idea.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Can anybody comment on tmobile unlocking the phone for use on at&t or straight talk at&t?
if you don't get the t mobile sim, but unlock your phone and get the at&t sim, you may be not have 4G since the hardware is missing.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
if you don't get the t mobile sim, but unlock your phone and get the at&t sim, you may be not have 4G since the hardware is missing.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

521 supports 850/1900mhz bands which is needed for AT&T HSPA Network. Phone needs to be SIM Unlocked of course for at&t sime, t-mobile sim no.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So what did you end up having to do? Buy a at&t sim card? I currently have the samsung proclaim it was free w a straight talk service purchase. I don't think the phone has a sim card in it. I am thinking about buying Great Condition Nokia Lumia 521 for T Mobile Monthly 4G 610214632074 | eBay this. So I would need to buy an at&t sim card from ebay to use with straight talk because t mobile service is garbage where I live?

no, this is a phone locked to T-Mo, and thus would require a T-Mobile SIM card, which ST does carry. I think ST goes through T-Mo's network or something so it sounds like that would not end well since you say T-Mo coverage is garbage where you are.

if i'm wrong someone, feel free to correct me.

regardless, thats an insanely great deal

irock97

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah 521 is a T-Mobile phone so you would need to use a T-Mobile SIM with it, unless you could get them to unlock it which I hear is pretty much impossible. If you get the T-Mobile SIM from ST, your service would go through T-Mobile so if service sucks take that into consideration. I think the Lumia 520 is pretty much the same phone but for ATT so you might want to look into that. I love the 521, its a great phone, has Windows 8, and has a wonderful display. There's less memory than other phones, but they have to cut the cost somewhere. For the price, it definitely can't be beat. Although don't get any liquid on it at all!!! This is the least water resistant phone I've had, but that's another story...

corycc

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys I ended up getting the huawei h883g w1.. only problem is now I cant seem to find the updated apn settings anywhere online. any help?

Scott Naylor

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Getting tmobile to unlock your sim for use with another carrier depends on your plan with them, I recently bought my Lumia 521 for use on tmobiles prepaid plans if that is the case you have paid for the device in full and they will not give you a problem, otherwise if you have some sort of contract there are certain conditions which need to be met before they will give you your devices sim unlock code. As for carrier compatibility I switched to straight talk and have had no problem bought the new sim card put it in the phone and entered the 20 digit unlock code and in was good to go, hope this helps.

Evelyn Ford

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought the t mobile 521 and want to use my current phone number and straighttalk service.I bought the bundle of sim cards and am not sure which of the cards to use with it.Does anyone have any answers,thank you

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought the t mobile 521 and want to use my current phone number and straighttalk service.I bought the bundle of sim cards and am not sure which of the cards to use with it.Does anyone have any answers,thank you

Use the T-Mobile micro SIM card. The AT&T one will not work in the 521 unless the device is SIM unlocked.

Evelyn Ford

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the help.I have the new phone working,but only at 2 g and tried the APN change...Cannot seem to get internet or faster ....:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos