Is the Lumia 521 locked to T-Mobile?

SlantNGo

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've read many conflicting reports about whether the Lumia 521 is locked to T-Mobile. About half the news and forum posts I read indicate that it is unlocked, and the other half say locked to T-Mobile. I think part of the confusion is that phone sold off-contract are typically unlocked. Can anyone who has a Lumia 521 and a non-T-Mobile micro SIM sitting around report on whether it is indeed locked to T-Mobile?

Thanks!

SlantNGo

May 13, 2013
Visit site
So how would one go about getting it unlocked? I believe I read somewhere that T-Mobile will give you the unlock code if you're with them for 3 months and maintain a $60+ balance or something?

zultar

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
For me they offered to unlock it day one. I told them I paid full price for it and support said that they would start the application to unlock and that it would take 14 days. I had activated my sim card before I called into support so I had a valid number. The problem I had is that the 521 did not have an option to add apn settings. Would that have show up once the phone is unlocked?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
For me they offered to unlock it day one. I told them I paid full price for it and support said that they would start the application to unlock and that it would take 14 days. I had activated my sim card before I called into support so I had a valid number. The problem I had is that the 521 did not have an option to add apn settings. Would that have show up once the phone is unlocked?

On the 521, APN settings are under "Access Point" which is a settings integrated app from Nokia. They are not in their usual spot under "Cellular". Scroll down the settings list and you should find it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte