Walmart is Pushing the 521: Good Sign for Nokia(pun intended)

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the L9 is the best value of the bunch. I guess I just have to get used to the crappy resolution on the 521.

LG Optimus L9 P760 vs. Nokia Lumia 520 - GSMArena.com The Optimus L9 only has a 60 x 160 higher resolution (540x960 vs 480 x 800) and their pixel densities are near identical (234 vs 233)

Also, you have more internal memory, larger SD card support, scratch resistant Nokia Sensitive Touch glass, 4G, cheaper price, Quality camera software, etc. You may give up on things like FFC, a smaller screen (by .7 inches), and some of the features that the L9 has will not be available till GDR2 or Windows Phone 8.1, but overall, on paper, the 521 wins.

HowardZinn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the L9 is the best value of the bunch. I guess I just have to get used to the crappy resolution on the 521.

I looked at the L9 and found it to be way too limited. The internal storage is only 4 GB, which is very important to remember when apps can't be installed outside the internal.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the L9 and found it to be way too limited. The internal storage is only 4 GB, which is very important to remember when apps can't be installed outside the internal.

Android actually does support sd card install, but not all apps do. You can use app install on a case by case basis, basically.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

I know technically the screen resolution isn't that great but I haven't had any complaints while using it. All the Metro stuff looks great on it and I was streaming Netflix yesterday and thought it looked fine. I'm still amazed at how little I feel I'm sacrificing using this as my primary phone... I can't wait to be able to give this phone to a friend when I get my 925 so i can get them hooked on WP8 as well and be able to try out the Rooms feature.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've dealt with that extensively (moving apps to SD) on an aging Android (~500 MB storage) and out of my app selection, some were movable, some werent. It's a real mess, one I would not want to deal with again. It's a feature on CyanogenMod 9 and 10 for sure, but it doesn't move the entire app, for a more effective method, you'll have to partition the SD and get a 3rd-party tool (e.g. Links2SD)

Anyway's it's nice to see Wal-Mart pushing it, I'm still skeptical considering my iPod touch 4 was relatively crippled with 256 MB RAM. How big of a deal is the 512MB/1 GB RAM gap? any specific apps for example?

HowardZinn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyway's it's nice to see Wal-Mart pushing it, I'm still skeptical considering my iPod touch 4 was relatively crippled with 256 MB RAM. How big of a deal is the 512MB/1 GB RAM gap? any specific apps for example?

Every single app I've wanted to download has been available; as far as I can tell, it's games that are going to be the real problem right now. I wanted to get Super Monkey Balls 2 during the red stripe deal thing, but couldn't because of the RAM.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Every single app I've wanted to download has been available; as far as I can tell, it's games that are going to be the real problem right now. I wanted to get Super Monkey Balls 2 during the red stripe deal thing, but couldn't because of the RAM.

There is also the Nokia exclusive, Zinio Newsstand, which requires 1GB of ram (though it makes no sense why. I doubt it uses that much ram unless its loading an entire magazine at once instead of only a few pages ahead and behind, in which case that's pointless.)

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Can't even find a Lumia or WP phone on T-mobile website. Microsoft needs to bring more WP to T-mobile, Sprint, and other smaller carriers if they want to gain marketshare.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the L9 briefly . I can't say that is the best value since its likely that Nokia and Microsoft will support the 521....LG already has trouble supporting there high end devices. I can safely bet not much support will be coming from LG OR google for that phone. That alone puts the 521 at a better value for myself personally.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Can't even find a Lumia or WP phone on T-mobile website. Microsoft needs to bring more WP to T-mobile, Sprint, and other smaller carriers if they want to gain marketshare.

8x is in limbo (HTC ew...) and 810 has been unofficially EOLed (haven't seen anything official saying they no longer support it. Just know its no longer available online. Brick & Mortar store in-stock sales only). Lumia 521 is officially on T-Mobile the 22nd, with early releases on HSN and at walmart, so of course its not on the site yet. 925 has a coming soon page, but its not in the main phone listing last I looked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs