521 and microSD card

RockmanNeo

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What are you guys using for your phone?

I am using Sandisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC I was saving for Surface, but I use it for my 521 instead.

Unfortunately it's often giving me issue whenever I'm doing some I/O with it, e.g. Taking pictures, transferring music/video. The phone would crash and after restarting the microSD isn't detected anymore.

My work around fix is to insert the card into my laptop, and actually agree to fix my device to the usual pop up message that you usually get when inserting a device that you usually ignore.

Obviously, I can't keep doing that. Do you guys know if that card is not compatible with WP? Or should I format it differently (FAT32, NTFS, exFAT)? What card do you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
What are you guys using for your phone?

I am using Sandisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC I was saving for Surface, but I use it for my 521 instead.

Unfortunately it's often giving me issue whenever I'm doing some I/O with it, e.g. Taking pictures, transferring music/video. The phone would crash and after restarting the microSD isn't detected anymore.

My work around fix is to insert the card into my laptop, and actually agree to fix my device to the usual pop up message that you usually get when inserting a device that you usually ignore.

Obviously, I can't keep doing that. Do you guys know if that card is not compatible with WP? Or should I format it differently (FAT32, NTFS, exFAT)? What card do you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Im using an SDHC card with exFAT and smallest unit allocation in my 521. Im not sure about SDXC and compatibility. I mean, according to Wikipedia, any device supporting SDHC can support SDXC if its using version 3.0, however if its using SDXC 4.0 standards, some newer features and improved write speeds may not work, and theoretically, any SDXC card using standards v2.0 or lower would not work.

...Wait (just reread your post when typing this paragraph). What do you mean differently? Is it not formatted in one of the file systems listed? because the Lumia 521 only supports FAT32 or exFAT so if its in anything else (FAT, FAT16, NTFS, etc...) that could explain it as well.

chaltierx

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for bumping this thread (didn't want to start a new one). Does the Lumia 521 support sdxc, assuming it is formatted as exFAT? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the 64gb or the 32gb card (32gb if it doesn't support the 64gb).

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for bumping this thread (didn't want to start a new one). Does the Lumia 521 support sdxc, assuming it is formatted as exFAT? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the 64gb or the 32gb card (32gb if it doesn't support the 64gb).

It supports 64GB sd cards, so I guess. Though I am not sure if exFAT is supported on SDXC in the phone. May need to format as FAT32.

RockmanNeo

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify my previous post, I plugged in my brand new 64GB SDXC to my 521 without doing any formatting. That's the reason behind my question about the file system.

But I later found out that it's shipped with exFAT FS by default.

Another thing that I found is, I don't see the issue where my SD card is missing anymore, ever since I formatted the card directly from the phone. Hopefully it stays that way.

Sorry for the run on sentences.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify my previous post, I plugged in my brand new 64GB SDXC to my 521 without doing any formatting. That's the reason behind my question about the file system.

But I later found out that it's shipped with exFAT FS by default.

Another thing that I found is, I don't see the issue where my SD card is missing anymore, ever since I formatted the card directly from the phone. Hopefully it stays that way.

Sorry for the run on sentences.

Its ok since I make run on sentences quite often so don't sweat it. XD

It probably just needed a fresh format then. I haven't used anything that large in my phone, but glad you worked it out... I wonder what the manufacturer did to it where it required a format though... Odd. (Perhaps some proprietary preloaded files or special version of the exFAT format?)

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased a new Lumia 521!

I am looking at buying this exact card. But now that I read this post; I going to past for now and look at some SD micro cards that I can just pop in and not have to do trial and error routine to make appear! For a couple more dollars; I am willing to pay for a more quality card that can just be ready to use out of the box. I like the features of Sandisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC but if you have to mess around just to have it work - not for me! I guess that means going to Samsung like Apple or PNY!

I might wait for some one to post here saying they just pop it in and it works without any additional formatting or anything else to make it appear on the 521.

Thanks for the info!

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had no problems with the SanDisk 64GB card, but based on what I've read elsewhere, I could just be lucky.

Haven't had to format it or do anything else special.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234