Lumia 521 vs. iPhone 4 camera

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about trading my techphobic girlfriend up from her old iPhone 4 to a Lumia 521 on T-mo. The one thing that worries me a little is the LED-free camera on the 521. On paper it's perfect for her but if the camera performance is a big step back from a 3 year old iPhone it might be a tough sell when combined with the apps she'd be giving up along with it.

Anyone done a side-by-side with the 2?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm assuming that it has the 620's camera, so it should match up well compared to the iPhone 4. Bear in mind it was released in 2010, and technology grows by leaps and bounds.
I am not a fan of 521 because it has a very cheap screen and bad camera (compared to 720), these posts should help

T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521: First Impressions Of $129 Contract-Free Windows Phone 8 Smartphone (Opinion)
T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521

Afaik it doesnt have 3G or NFC, she'll surely miss the i4 camera.
It does have 3G (through HSPA+) and it has a rather decent screen as well as a great camera for its price.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm assuming that it has the 620's camera, so it should match up well compared to the iPhone 4. Bear in mind it was released in 2010, and technology grows by leaps and bounds.

It does have 3G (through HSPA+) and it has a rather decent screen as well as a great camera for its price.

It surely has a great camera for its price, but come on, no flash. That guy's gf is switching from a phone with a camera that has a flash to a camera that has no flash. The day shots may be good, but night shots would be like finding a hen with teeth.

@OP, I did read a post on wpcentral which gets you 521 @ $116 incl. all taxes sim free, just look around.

Edit
520 Camera Review (As good as 521)
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_520-review-920p7.php

mark4130

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? You would do that to your girlfriend? Does she use Facebook etc as well as the camera? If so, she will really hate you! Yes, the 521 is newer - but its soooo far behind in spec! I have a 620 and its ridiculously poor against my sons iPhone 4 in every aspect.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
What apps does she use daily?
Does she need a front facing camera for video chatting?
Is she willing to give up not being part of isheep crowd and playing games with them?

U could always just buy the phone outright let her try it out. If she does not like it return it or keep for yourself.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty the 521, as great as it is for its price, is no match for the iPhone 4.
Let me put it this way:
iPhone 4: 800 MHz single core processor
Lumia 520: 1 GHz dual core processor

Just shows how much technology progresses. Also, the iPhone 4 still costs thrice as much as the 520 here in the Philippines. Your call.

hohohohanfan

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Let me put it this way:

Just shows how much technology progresses. Also, the iPhone 4 still costs thrice as much as the 520 here in the Philippines. Your call.

don't get me wrong, I'm not an apple ****** but honestly iPhone 4 has features that the 521 does not have and in OP's gf's scenario, the iPhone is obviously superior

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
don't get me wrong, I'm not an apple ****** but honestly iPhone 4 has features that the 521 does not have and in OP's gf's scenario, the iPhone is obviously superior

It is, it is, but he is trying to compare a race car (i4) with a regular car (521). He should seriously consider another device in the wp lineup.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
It is, it is, but he is trying to compare a race car (i4) with a regular car (521). He should seriously consider another device in the wp lineup.

That's not really a good analogy because the 521 has the dual-core processor and more RAM. A better one would be like a used luxury car vs a new compact car.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
It's faster?

I never said the OP should get it, I just was improving the analogy. If you don't like my analogy that's fine.

Well lets wait for the OP to decide, remember his girlfriend will be downgrading from an i4 to a 521 in terms of screen res, battery and camera and upgrading in terms of hardware you specified (Dual Core, RAM etc.,)

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
ios is boring and played out

I am sure his girlfriends has more to do than think about how cool the OS is. I think he should leave his girlfriends phone alone. The iPhone 4 though older is still a better fit for most people than the 500 or 600 series. It has a good camera, and a very solid OS (albeit old) and for a technophobe as he mentioned, that is pretty good stuff. What?s more, most non techy people like playing around and downloading the latest apps their friends have. Again the old iPhone wins. If you are going upgrade her, upgrade her, 720 and above so at least she can say she has a very good phone...

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Let me put it this way:

In the real world, not on the tech forums, that says very little. I think the 520 and 620 are great phones for their price, and I was thinking of replacing my wife?s broken Incredible with one, because they are the best phones for value right now where I live. But his gf already has an iPhone, which offer other probably more useful benefits to his technophobe gf. I wouldnt make sense. If he said he was trying to decide whether he should buy a 520 or iPhone 4, then the clear winner in that case would be the 520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb