Lumia 521 vs. iPhone 4 camera

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? You would do that to your girlfriend? Does she use Facebook etc as well as the camera? If so, she will really hate you! Yes, the 521 is newer - but its soooo far behind in spec! I have a 620 and its ridiculously poor against my sons iPhone 4 in every aspect.

Um, you know there is the Facebook app, the Facebook Beta app, and built in Facebook, right?

I would pick the 521 in my opinion. The camera may not do well at late night, but its decent in the day, and the photography apps from Nokia help too (creative studio has made images clearer and better looking before for me).

In comparing the devices on GSM Arena (iPhone 4 Left, Lumia 520/521 right; RM-917 is the 521 when referenced specs differentiate between the 520 and 521):
gsmarenaip4521.PNG

As you can see, the cameras are identical, so it all comes down to whether you need the flash.

Also, highlighted by red boxes, there are things that the 521 has over the iPhone 4.

The only things you really lose is flash, a compass (not necessary for navigation or maps, despite its name), and a few pixels (160x160 pixel difference).

So in summary, both phones are really much the same, but the 521 will support more cellular frequencies, faster internet technologies, and other such things.

mark4130

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh I know there are multiple Facebook apps - and every single one falls woefully short in comparison to ios and Android versions. The 521 is a lower spec phone than my 620, and like I said - in an actual real life usage rather than on paper specs, my sons iPhone trounces my 620.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
And at-least half the price of iphone 4. ;)
Though I think, OP should make the decision based on usage cases and not specs. If her gf uses front camera often then 520 is no-go.
Also, in my opinion, iphone 4 camera is no good. Even 4S camera(I own 4S) is no good(totally washed out images) in low light with flash. Only good without flash.
Difference between 4 and 4s was significant in terms of camera. So, best thing is to take his gf iphone 4 into a store and compare images with a lumia 521 images in-store.

So in summary, both phones are really much the same, but the 521 will support more cellular frequencies, faster internet technologies, and other such things.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh I know there are multiple Facebook apps - and every single one falls woefully short in comparison to ios and Android versions. The 521 is a lower spec phone than my 620, and like I said - in an actual real life usage rather than on paper specs, my sons iPhone trounces my 620.

It all depends on usage style. If like me who uses FB app(on iphone) mostly only for quick news feed and posts by friends or check-in, then I guess WP FB app is equally good for me.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just adding about GSM Arena battery tests:

Lumia 520 - 49 hours
iPhone 4S - 45 hours
iPhone 5 - 51 hours

Lumia 920 - 44 hours
Lumia 720 - 60 hours

Last edited:

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Girls are tech odd anyhow. My wife loves her Galaxy II and refuses anything else. She hates iPhone and does "get" the point of WP8 no matter how hard I try to 'splain why her phone needs to be rebooted now and again and mine does not :)

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about trading my techphobic girlfriend up from her old iPhone 4 to a Lumia 521 on T-mo. The one thing that worries me a little is the LED-free camera on the 521. On paper it's perfect for her but if the camera performance is a big step back from a 3 year old iPhone it might be a tough sell when combined with the apps she'd be giving up along with it.

Anyone done a side-by-side with the 2?
If it is going to be a tough sell, then why try to 'sell' it at all? Let her chose what SHE wants to use; if she really likes the iPhone and the apps that the platform offers, why not just upgrade her to an iPhone 4s/5/or the upcoming iPhone in the Fall?

And if she really does want a WP device, why not wait a bit longer for the Lumia 925?

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Girls are tech odd anyhow. My wife loves her Galaxy II and refuses anything else. She hates iPhone and does "get" the point of WP8 no matter how hard I try to 'splain why her phone needs to be rebooted now and again and mine does not :)

My wife wasn't going to replace her Incredible, until it broke. I am an Apple guy, everything Apple just about, but she wouldn?t move from the Incredible, she just loved that thing. That is the thing, most girls, just like their thing that does want they want it to do. If it continues to do it well, they will have no complaints.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Ummm... have you tried facebook beta? Its almost like an exact duplicate of the iOS and android versions (down to the point that Metro Philosophy advocates (like me) and Modern UI lovers are a bit annoyed, at the very least, by its UI)

Facebook Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And actual life usage of my 521, and based on the iPhones ive played with of family and friends (and at kiosks in stores), I see not much one has over the other as far as apps and usage are concerned. An iPhone 4s or iPhone 5, sure, they will beat the 521 any day. But the iPhone 4? Not really.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
IPhone 4 = 720 or 620. You cannot compare 521 and Iphone 4. Get her 620. She will be happy. All the ladies in my family want 620.. well I gave it to my sis .. the magenta one and she doesn't want any other phone but the magenta 620. For the ladies, get the magenta 620 and be assured that they will like it.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Enjoying the lively discussion. Haven't read all the replies in detail, but I wanted to address a few of the themes.

1. She HATES the iOS operating system. Most times she just about wants to throw the thing out of the window. The data connection seems to constantly drop/hang and it's just generally frustrating to use. (I'm temporarily using a iPhone 4 too while my 920 is in for repair and I empathize).
  2. She's mentioned before that she likes my WP8 (though this is almost only glancing at it and never using it) and she wants something that's simple to use. The Live tiles, hubs and fewer clicks it takes to do things in WP8 would be a benefit for her.
  3. I've also considered getting her up and running on my old Samsung Focus in my nightstand, but that phone is on it's last legs and won't upgrade to 7.8 without hacking.
  4. She never uses the FFC,
  5. She doesn't take a ton of pictures, when she does it's usually just to send friends and family stuff that's funny. Though she did use it a bunch for photos when we were on vacation where quality would matter.
  6. The main apps are Facebook and casual social games like Words with Friends (and others in the genre). WP8's new Facebook app would be fine, but she'd probably miss some of the games her friends play with her.
  7. Size is very important to her. She wants the phone to fit in her wristlet, and the iPhone 4 does just barely. A iPhone 5 or higher end WP8 won't fit. This is probably the biggest limiting factor when shopping.
  8. Never uses any media on the phone, she will only use her Shuffle. Going to break this habit for her though and get her using the phone (keeping iTunes though).
  9. She wouldn't care at all about processor speed, screen quality/resolution or even 4G data. (I want her to have it just to future proof, but in the end she doesn't use enough data to really care)
After hearing some of the comments, it's possible that the 620 may be a better choice if it's not too big for her. Really wish someone made a truly high-end phone in the 4in range.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If she's really not going to use the FFC then 521/520 is the ideal choice. If she is not going to play games then look no further, if she wants to play games then i would suggest atleast getting the 820 (FFC comes with it) as it has 1GB RAM. A no fuss phone would be the 820. As far as the camera goes, the Lumia 521 might be a bit behind the iPhone 4. Even though the iPhone 4 is an old device, TBH it is superior overall to the Lumia 521 (I personally own a 920, before I had the 810~820 and an iPhone 4)

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
IPhone 4 = 720 or 620. You cannot compare 521 and Iphone 4. Get her 620. She will be happy. All the ladies in my family want 620.. well I gave it to my sis .. the magenta one and she doesn't want any other phone but the magenta 620. For the ladies, get the magenta 620 and be assured that they will like it.
Dude. Did you see my GSM Arena comparison on the first page? The iPhone 4 and Lumia 521 are near identical in specs, and the 521 has a number of things over the iPhone 4 (the iPhone 4 only has FFC, Flash, Slight resolution difference, and a compass over the 521)
Enjoying the lively discussion. Haven't read all the replies in detail, but I wanted to address a few of the themes.

1. She HATES the iOS operating system. Most times she just about wants to throw the thing out of the window. The data connection seems to constantly drop/hang and it's just generally frustrating to use. (I'm temporarily using a iPhone 4 too while my 920 is in for repair and I empathize).
  2. She's mentioned before that she likes my WP8 (though this is almost only glancing at it and never using it) and she wants something that's simple to use. The Live tiles, hubs and fewer clicks it takes to do things in WP8 would be a benefit for her.
  3. I've also considered getting her up and running on my old Samsung Focus in my nightstand, but that phone is on it's last legs and won't upgrade to 7.8 without hacking.
  5. She doesn't take a ton of pictures, when she does it's usually just to send friends and family stuff that's funny. Though she did use it a bunch for photos when we were on vacation where quality would matter.
  6. The main apps are Facebook and casual social games like Words with Friends (and others in the genre). WP8's new Facebook app would be fine, but she'd probably miss some of the games her friends play with her.
  7. Size is very important to her. She wants the phone to fit in her wristlet, and the iPhone 4 does just barely. A iPhone 5 or higher end WP8 won't fit. This is probably the biggest limiting factor when shopping.
  8. Never uses any media on the phone, she will only use her Shuffle. Going to break this habit for her though and get her using the phone (keeping iTunes though).
  9. She wouldn't care at all about processor speed, screen quality/resolution or even 4G data. (I want her to have it just to future proof, but in the end she doesn't use enough data to really care)
After hearing some of the comments, it's possible that the 620 may be a better choice if it's not too big for her. Really wish someone made a truly high-end phone in the 4in range.
As far as size for the wristlet, the 521 is slightly wider and taller due to its 4in. screen (vs. the 620's 3.8in.), but its also thinner too by a tad.

As far as purchase price, good luck finding the 620 cheaper. At Expansys, its $250, aka that's a $100 price difference between the 620 and 521, which isn't worth it since the 620 is pretty much a 521 with NFC, flash, and a front facing camera (Not to mention the 620 lacks super sensitive touch like the 521). Now, if you live in Huston, TX, Tampa, FL, or Orlando, FL, you can get the 620 from Aio Wireless for $180. But otherwise there is going to be a noticeable price difference.

If she's really not going to use the FFC then 521/520 is the ideal choice. If she is not going to play games then look no further, if she wants to play games then i would suggest atleast getting the 820 (FFC comes with it) as it has 1GB RAM. A no fuss phone would be the 820. As far as the camera goes, the Lumia 521 might be a bit behind the iPhone 4. Even though the iPhone 4 is an old device, TBH it is superior overall to the Lumia 521 (I personally own a 920, before I had the 810~820 and an iPhone 4)

The cameras take identical images in resolution on paper, and gaming isn't even a problem (with exception of the occasional game needing 1GB ram). You can, also, adjust the camera settings on the 521 to have better looking photos (ISO, Exposure), and Creative Studio's clarity and brightness tools can help improve the quality of your photos too. I have taken some pretty good images with my 521.

And if she plays Words with Friends or Draw Something:
Words With Friends | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Draw Something | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Granted they are $3, but they are the ad-free editions. The Nokia Collection in the store also has all the Angry Birds, and im sure the Windows Store would have other games she plays as well.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The cameras take identical images in resolution on paper, and gaming isn't even a problem (with exception of the occasional game needing 1GB ram). You can, also, adjust the camera settings on the 521 to have better looking photos (ISO, Exposure), and Creative Studio's clarity and brightness tools can help improve the quality of your photos too. I have taken some pretty good images with my 521.

I am glad you mentioned ON PAPER...they may be identical in specs but trust me...compared to the 521 the iPhone 4 takes better pictures.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Been there, had i4 for a week, and I felt I was holding a piece of brick whose battery drains faster than loose motions.
    Let her use the phone for some time, its better rather than she frowning at you for making a wrong choice.
    7.5 is old school and does not offer you things 8 does
    FFC?
    If she's looking for dayshots ONLY 521 is okay, but having a flash comes in handy anytime, I say anytime!
    Did you show her how fb is integrated inside wp8 and the fb app by microsoft?
    Consider 620 or HTC 8s, The 8s has extremely killer looks, but only opt for the black & white version else its paint will start to peel off. Another downside is 8s has only 4G memory inbuilt, No 3G or nfc. But hey, its the best designed device in the wp8 lineup after some Lumias, if size is a concern for her. Apart from it its extremely sexy looking :), I urge you to check that phone at some store.
    Sound on Lumia is pretty good, do note that I use jbl j22i and not stock earphones.
    She may not care about those specs now, but if she ends up buying some low res phone, she won't like the picture quality and things like that

Check my responses in the bold.
Show her Lumia 620 and HTC 8s and let her make a choice.
Remember 8s (except for black & white), its paint starts to peel off.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I am glad you mentioned ON PAPER...they may be identical in specs but trust me...compared to the 521 the iPhone 4 takes better pictures.

^This. I have an iPhone 4, a lumia 520 and a 920.
Obviously 920 smokes them, but the iPhone 4 actually has a very decent camera (especially considering its almost 3yrs old). The 520 has an ALRIGHT camera. Nothing special, gets the job done.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just keep in mind this is a budget phone. Its great for what it does and that's it. For the same price as an Iphone 4, why not just get a better model windows phone. My HTC HD7, that my 521 has replaced, was a great phone and better in a lot of ways, but to be honest I haven't really noticed much. It does seem to be faster though. Im holding out for my Nokia 925! I never used my flash on my HTC so not having one on my nokia hasn't been a problem. I can watch Netflix in HQ just fine on this phone. You got facebook and facebook chat built into the phone. So no need for extra apps for that. And I don't really care about having a camera on the front of my phone. Really? Do we need those billions of pics of you on social networks? ;) The screen is pretty good, you just need to adjust the brightness to medium. I like the fact that I can customize my start screen with only the important things I need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb