Battery Cover Replacement

seanbecker

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if Nokia intends on realeasing replacment back covers, in different colors for the Lumia 521? Press shots of the 520 show it with multiple color back covers, but I havent seen this for the 521. With the Lumia 710 they had released multiple covers in several colors, in fact I have a few of them. Any thoughts on this? Would you like to see these available?

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Won't the ones for the 520 work? I thought they were basically the same phone.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I saw only one replacement cover for the 521 and it came in White! Love to have a black cover. I did write to the supplier and he said that it was an exclusive to T-Mobile.

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I don't understand why manufacturers would create external cases that snap onto the 521's outer shell, instead of simply replacing this entire battery cover. It's an extremely simple part made with basic mechanics, no antennas or metal connectors, just a set of push-buttons mounted to the side. It's almost like Nokia was designing the phone with the intention of 3rd-party replacement covers, perhaps integrated directly into a more complete (and more efficient) case.

Yet, with all the accessories China has pumped out so far for the 521, none of them directly replace this simple slab of plastic that makes up the phone's exterior color? Internet, I am disappoint.

(I want one in a dark blue. Or my own graphic. Something. I just don't want a bulky case... I just want to replace this plain white shell!)

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If anyone wants a replacement they have to make it themselves. T-Mobile is not that big on the 521 if you judge it in the stores and the accessories for it. It has two cases and the one that I like the Tech 21 is $29.99. If basically a plastic case but it one piece instead of two separate pieces and it only in Black!

I talk with customer service and it is only offered in White. No other colors are planned. I talk with some other Nokia blogger and he said that the 521 is a limited edition exclusively for T-Mobile; while the 520 is offered worldwide.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't know about the rest of you, but my 521 was just two slippery for my hands. I dropped it several times in the first two weeks I owned it. Fortunately, it was never damaged or scratched. I also felt like the glass covering the camera needed a bit more protection. My solution was to buy a silicone rubber cover for it off eBay for $4.95 w/free shipping. It fits like a glove and fixes the problem for me. There is still nothing over the camera glass, but at least its now recessed into the cover about 1/16". They offered them in 5 colors.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't use a case currently, because the phone isnt that slippery to me.

I came from a Nokia 700 with a metal battery cover... that phone was extremely slippery.

The only reason I see the use for a case Is to raise the screen up for the times when I drop it it face down on the ground... Hell i dont even use a screen protector :p

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I use this Acme Sleek Video Camera Case, I bought it originally for my focus flash from Best Buy,

The 521 fits rather nicely other than sticking out of the top of case a little bit, and you can't zip it up all the way. But it easy to pull out and place back in.

Lumiant

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It's slipery to me and the white color i feel will get stained / dirty from daily use, I'd probably go for a clear TPU case in this model

MrSherboto

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I just got the lumia 521 yesterday. I also thought this phone was too slippery, and was worried about dropping it.

As far as simply coloring it goes, I found this tutorial online: tmblr.us: To dye your Nokia Lumia 521’s white shell to a new...
It looks like the case is easily dyed with RIT dye.

As for making it less slippery, I found this tutorial which involves spraying the phone with plasti-dip. I'm likely going to try it sometime this week, and I'll post pictures when it's done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon