I would like my Nokia Lumia 521 to automatically backup my photos to Skydrive using the best image quality available, the obvious choice being to use the WiFi option. Under backup in settings I have set the photos+videos option to "Best quality (needs Wi-Fi) and made sure that WiFi is enabled. So far I haven't seen any photos appear in my Skydrive.

So my question is, how long do I have to wait before I will see any photos transferred? I am hoping there is just something in the procedure that I have missed out.

One item I am not sure about is, is do I have to check "Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out" ? I already tried this to no avail and I am hoping it is inteligent enough such that syncing would overide that when necessary.

Also when they say "Best quality" do they mean the original files will be copied or is this a euphemism for "We'll still compress them but not as much as when using your cellular data connection". If this is the case then perhaps it may be better if I resort to the manual method that I did on my older phones since a backup isn't really a backup if it's not an original. I guess I could still use skydrive as an additional backup, after all it's better to have a lower quality photo than none at all in the event of a disaster.
    06-08-2013 12:31 PM
    It is the complete file I believe. Also look in mobile uploads folder.
    06-08-2013 12:49 PM
    Already looked in that one. When you setup the skydrive backup on the phone, do the photos (and/or videos) start transferring right away or is there a period of time that has to elapse before they do so? I guess what I am saying, is at what point do I assume it's just me being impatient, and what point can I safely say it just isn't working?
    06-08-2013 12:56 PM
    A few seconds for me, If you have a fast wifi then it should auto upload right then has soon has it saved to your phone.

Make sure under settings->backup->photo (best quality requires wifi)

Do you have a skydrive app installed on phone

And do you have any pic check under photos-camera roll from skydrive or mobile uploads from skydrive
    06-08-2013 01:24 PM
    I now realize it was my misunderstanding of the process. I see it only backs up photos as you take them. I was thinking that it would back up all my photos that I already had in the Camera Roll. I have to do those manually one by one it seems. At least I tried to select all and it wouldn't let me select the option to save to skydrive then. Of course the problem was easily solved by simply using the Skydrive app on the PC first.

I merely wanted a method of automatically backing up my photos without having to think about it. In future any new photos will then be queued up until I am in range of the appropriate WiFi. It is now working fine.

So far I am enjoying this little Nokia having recently upgraded from a Symbian phone.
    06-08-2013 07:53 PM