Fool Proof Charger for Lumia 521

neak

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I just recently purchased Lumia 521 for my mom due to WP's ease of use and super low price point for smartphone. This is my mom's first smart phone.

Two days after I gave her the Lumia 521, the phone was dead (out of battery). She charges the phone every night but the charger that came with Lumia 521 doesn't always connect properly. There is no LED on the phone to indicate that the phone is charging battery. There is no LED on the charger to indicate it's charging. The icon on the WP is super small she doesn't notice it (she is farsighted). There is no wireless charing option for Lumia 521.

I found another usb charger with LED light but that one lights up whenever it's plugged to AC not just to the phone.

Does anyone know a good fool proof charger that will light up only when the phone is charging? I read through couple pages of Amazon review for chargers but can't really figure out which one fits my criteria. I know Nokia has to cut some corners for low end smartphone but not having a charging light is a serious problem for me. It's even worse than not having a FFC.

Thanks in advance.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about the Lumia 521 overcharging the battery, it does not. Once battery is around 99% it will go into low power charge mode.

You could always install a battery app and pin to your homescreen.

But it is just better to check top right hand corner of screen for battery %, if not displayed then double tap top right hand corner.

neak

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So I did a little digging with the help of Bing and Amazon and found this:

Amazon.com: Skque Micro USB data cable +Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protector+car charger +home/wall charger with LED charging indicator for Blackberry 9300: Cell Phones & Accessories

I know it says it's for BlackBerry, but if the Lumia 521 takes a standard Micro USB cable, it should work. The description specifically says it has an LED charging indicator. For only $2.22 it might be worth a shot.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try this one.

neak

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try this one.

Unfortunately, the led of the charger lights up immediately when it's plugged in. :crying:
The led light is red which is a lot better than the blue one I have previously. But, it's still not what I'm looking for.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, the led of the charger lights up immediately when it's plugged in. :crying:
The led light is red which is a lot better than the blue one I have previously. But, it's still not what I'm looking for.

Does it turn off when the phone is fully charged, or just stay on all the time?

neak

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Does it turn off when the phone is fully charged, or just stay on all the time?

It stays on all the time even when the phone is fully charged. It bothers me more that the light is on when the phone is disconnected. I really don't understand the purpose of the light. To tell if the power outlet is working? What's the chance of bad power outlet?! Waste of electricity.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It stays on all the time even when the phone is fully charged. It bothers me more that the light is on when the phone is disconnected. I really don't understand the purpose of the light. To tell if the power outlet is working? What's the chance of bad power outlet?! Waste of electricity.

Yeah, the product description on that thing really is misleading. A charging indicator, to me, would indicate when charging is taking place!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel