New user, came from Android...

detlion1643

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
First thing is first. The OS, I really like how it's designed. It's super fast, slim, and sleek. I ran enough custom rom's on my old Android phone to know of all the different tweaks, features, bloat and non-bloat, etc. This Windows phone, at first I was a little worried I wouldn't like it since I love customization so much. Playing with the new, to me, OS I didn't have a need for about 99% of the customization I needed on the Android.

With that said, there are a couple things I miss that I loved about the Android OS. First, the notification bar. The notification bar. I always enjoyed having that displayed, except for some full screen games, as you could always tell the time and anything else you had up there at any time. I noticed with the Windows OS, there are a lot of times that the bar at the top isn't displayed. Is this something that can be changed?

Also, the live tiles. Can these actually do things, or do they only open the app they are made for? On Android, I had my notification bar set up to toggle sounds, wifi, bluetooth, etc. I noticed that there were some extra tiles I d/l'd for wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, etc. However, instead of toggling, they are just a shortcut to the settings screens for them.

Overall, it's only been a few days and a few (IMO) quality of life quirks. However, I've really taken to the new OS I've finally been able to try!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! The tiles only display information designated by the app programmer. As of right now, there is no way to make the tiles toggles. The area up top either shows minimal info (time) or disappears. Generally, if you can see the time up top, you can tap there to see WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. There isn't a way to always show that info.

will c1

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've only had this phone for a few days so all I can say is that certain live tiles do change and update. Weather, social pics app, battery to name a few. I can not believe this thing only costs 150.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There are some apps that allow you to add quick link tiles for settings like turning wi-fi on/off , bluetooth on/off, etc. Hopefully the 8.1 update will bring some type of notification center, but even if not, the live tiles often do the job well enough.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Welcome aboard! I, too, came from Android (Galaxy Nexus) and so far I am really enjoying my 521. I am also blown away that this phone was only $130. It is easily the best smartphone you can by at that price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos