I actually placed an order online yesterday, figured I'd get one for my dad for Father's Day. I just hope I made the cut and don't have to wait a month or two.
    06-10-2013 11:25 AM
    Thanks for letting us know they're back in stock! I just ordered one also. This will be my first smartphone.
    06-10-2013 01:45 PM
    I saw two in stock at the WalMart in Scottsdale - Chaparral rd. They had lots of large banners promoting it. Kinda surprising.
    06-10-2013 02:00 PM
    out of stock :(
    06-10-2013 02:07 PM
    I just received mine via FedEx today! I'm setting it up now. Very excited!
    06-10-2013 07:14 PM
    These things are hot items and go super fast. Seriously I didn't think I made the order in time when I was trying to get it to ship to my preferred FedEx store. After failed attempts and settling on the default store I was ready to check out and noticed the phone was already sold out. I clicked on my basket and tried checking out and it went through but I just wasn't sure if I actually made the cut. Today it's confirmed! Gotta admit they are speedy indeed. Seems WM are the only ones getting these I would check back at least twice a day early morning and later in the eve. I'll have to totally set this up for dad and he may not like it, but I'll be testing this unit hopefully on Thurs or Friday. Heck if he doesn't like it I'll just keep it myself as a second unit, still like the 810 and if they ever release fw and OS with WiFi and not keep the phone as gimped as it is it would be a solid performer. As it is now someone has to be accountable for the updates for the 810 and give us straight up answers instead of being so damn cryptic about updates it's just a stupid phone for land sakes.

untitled.jpg

I just received mine via FedEx today! I'm setting it up now. Very excited!
    Congrats!
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-10-2013 07:29 PM
    Picked up the phone today, it came with the 1316 fw and WiFi works really well. Going into the control panel to switch over to GSM with no issues either. Downloaded all the Here apps for Dad so he can use the GPS and dump his Garmen. So far I think he likes it, a little overwhelming at first due to things you have to remember. It's a little complicated for the old man he is not tech savy what so ever so I have to make it as easy as possible. First off I dump all the apps he will never use only thing he needs to know is how the do a reset if anything happens out in the field. Once he knows how to to that then all he needs is phone calling and WiFi internet so he can place bets and check the line and such. I hope the more he uses it he will be less intimidated by the features this phone has to offer, and try not to drive me crazy with questions. This could be a good thing or a bad thing on my part, but I'll keep updates on this thread to show his progress with his first smart phone. He's 84 years old so if i can do it maybe more people will get smarter phones for their parents.
    06-15-2013 12:05 AM
    I saw three in stock in VA, Sterling walmart. Surprised to find it... Got one but the cashier didn't know how to check it out.. So had to leave it at the counter.. may be I will get it tomorrow morning. Lets see.
    06-15-2013 12:21 AM
    I saw three in stock in VA, Sterling walmart. Surprised to find it... Got one but the cashier didn't know how to check it out.. So had to leave it at the counter.. may be I will get it tomorrow morning. Lets see.
    WM had more in stock today online but quickly sold out, rmichael75 I don't think I understand your statement, she didn't know how to check out an item? Couldn't you go to another cashier?
    06-15-2013 02:10 AM
    Well Dad likes the phone but he's having a hard time remembering what to do. He keeps forgetting about the lock screen when a call comes in. He's finally getting the hang of it slowly but surely he will adapt. I configured the phone to what he will be using so there are only a few apps on the start screen. I set up an MSFT account for him but it's mainly for me to keep things in order for him. He does like checking ESPN's Score center and also placing bets. I forgot to mention make sure you enable the text zoom function through ease of access in settings. I have it set all the way for him to make things easier to read. The volume on this thing is just ridiculously loud when set to max through the speaker just the opposite for the 810. And I'm sure it has to do with the 1316 fw no doubt.

I tested Bluetooth file transfer to my lappy and it works both ways with no issues just like my 810. I dl'd storage check just to see it in action for my self and it really is a nice tool to keep an eye on what's going on with your phones storage. WiFi needs some work, as mentioned there is no auto switching and sometimes it just won't re connect back to WiFi. Although testing it last night walking out of WiFi range and coming back it re connected. They really need auto switching for this to work proper without having to fuss with it.

I gotta admit it has all the features I wish my 810 had, makes me even more sad that the 810 is just going to be swept under the rug. In a way I hope Tmo does ignore the updates for the 810 because that literally breaks my contract with them for not keeping with the 18 month support. I bought it from them so they are accountable in all regards no excuses period. Either give me the 928 as a straight swap or I'll see you in small claims and I will win regardless of who made the phone or the OS. T Mobile advertises 18 month support and that's what I'll be going after them for. Pointing the finger at MSFT or Nokia ain't going to save their *** in this situation and the judge will it as such. Either way you can't help but feel screwed by T Mobile especially after releasing the 521 with all the bells and whistles it sickens me to think about the people that bought the phone off contract they are really getting the shaft from TMO.

btw WM has them back in stock been like that all day today.
    06-17-2013 07:53 PM
    If you have a Microsoft Store near by, they will pricematch Walmart's price
    06-18-2013 06:51 AM
    Update:

Well he is having a really hard remembering how to navigate, he keeps asking the same questions and my patience is running thin after a month of this. He's just not getting it. Adding phone numbers to the book, he keeps forgetting how to do it, he can't navigate the favs in IE he doesn't remember how to get there. He is having a hard time entering using the keyboard he keeps forgetting where the enter key is. I'm about to get him to call tmob for questions, he won't read/view the how to videos either. What do you think is the best way to get him to learn the phone he's 86 years old so teaching an old dog new tricks is really difficult.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    07-15-2013 03:30 PM
    I guess I would do a few things.

1. Pin everything he needs. Contacts, groups, apps, IE favorites etc. Organize the start screen so that he doesn't really need anything else. Beyond that, just make sure he knows how to access the dialer and all of his other contacts.
    2. Don't push him to use every other feature in the phone. So long as he his comfortable with the basics leave it at that. In time, if he wants to do more, then you can go further.
    smurfercom likes this.
    07-15-2013 05:00 PM
    Update:

Well he is having a really hard remembering how to navigate, he keeps asking the same questions and my patience is running thin after a month of this. He's just not getting it. Adding phone numbers to the book, he keeps forgetting how to do it, he can't navigate the favs in IE he doesn't remember how to get there. He is having a hard time entering using the keyboard he keeps forgetting where the enter key is. I'm about to get him to call tmob for questions, he won't read/view the how to videos either. What do you think is the best way to get him to learn the phone he's 86 years old so teaching an old dog new tricks is really difficult.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    This may be a situation where you're dealing with issues related to his age. It won't matter how easy a phone is to use, if it's beyond his ability to grasp and retain the knowledge of how to use it, he'll keep having questions and forgetting things.

All I can say is whenever you're showing him how to do something, don't do it for him while he watches you, let him navigate while you talk him through it. Other than that, just try to be patient. He may eventually get it, it just may take longer than the average person.
    smurfercom likes this.
    07-16-2013 01:53 PM
    My mother lived to 93, very good considering family genetics. She could never have used a smart phone even when she was younger. My daughter who has very nice penmanship made her a new address book and this fixed all phone problems. Maybe you can get him to just remember how to get to the keypad then dial manually.
    smurfercom likes this.
    07-16-2013 07:27 PM
    I download Rapid Dial thinking that my mom needs a way to search contact like dumb phone. It's too complicated for her. Turns out people's hub is easier to understand for dialing. Just tell your dad to open people's hub and look for the person's name. Then, click on the phone number to dial.

If she is looking to go to some place, I do local search first and pin the place to start screen for her. I unpin the place when she doesn't need it anymore.

Email is easy. It's just right over there.

I gave up on teaching her how to use IM app like what's app and line.

She doesn't use IE, but she figure out how to use newspaper app pretty quickly.

She figures out how to take picture with the camera since it has a dedicated camera button like regular camera.

In short, my mom only knows how to
    1) Call people -- I tell her to organize phone book through web outlook. She already uses hotmail, so it's not difficult to enter phone number there. It will be sync the next day.
    2) Take photo -- I setup photo backup with full resolution to skydrive. She views her picture on skydrive.
    3) Check weather -- Amazing weather is on the locked screen. You can't miss the weather.
    4) Read email -- She doesn't really know how to type using the keyboard. I purchased a stylus pen for her to write on the screen.
    5) Look up the address for the places that I pin for her. For something she asked me to pin, I always keep the tile size 2x2 to remind her this tile is important.

Set your expectation low. Even if he doesn't use the full functionality of the smart phone, as long as he can still use it like regular phone it's good enough.
    smurfercom likes this.
    07-17-2013 12:26 AM