Hello,
    I am currently using a Droid RAZR M, and have a few questions:
    -How stable is it? Is it slower than the comparable windows phones?
    -How is the battery life?
    -Is the 512 MB of RAM limiting?
    I am going to be buying this phone to use as daily driver until I go to college in January and want it to be reliable before buying.
    Thanks!
    06-14-2013 03:16 PM
    - More stable than Android
    - On average use it might last the day - Nokia Lumia 520 goes through our extended battery testing regime, see how it managed - GSMArena Blog
    - yes, for certain games it is a limiting factor. Most apps (not games) should work fine.

(IMHO you are better off with a 620 or 720 if you want budget devices. Just a suggesiton)
    06-14-2013 03:54 PM
    - More stable than Android
    - On average use it might last the day - Nokia Lumia 520 goes through our extended battery testing regime, see how it managed - GSMArena Blog
    - yes, for certain games it is a limiting factor. Most apps (not games) should work fine.

(IMHO you are better off with a 620 or 720 if you want budget devices. Just a suggestion)
    The problem is I'm buying a no contract phone for cheap I'm saving money for college and the best way to do that is to cut my contract with Verizon and move to T-Mobile prepaid, and android on phones with the specs my phone has and up is pretty stable. Its either software the manufacturers put on or apps that mess up the experience nowadays. Anyways, that's my option and the 521 is one of the best prepaid phones.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-14-2013 04:23 PM
    Also does the 521 support haptic feedback on the buttons?

06-14-2013 04:25 PM
    nope, it doesn't offer any haptic feedback.

Nokia Lumia 520 - Full phone specifications a 10 page detailed review on everything you might want to know.

WPcentral also has a review but is not as detailed as this. It is the best phone at its price range for sure.
    06-14-2013 04:29 PM
    Hello,
    -How stable is it? Is it slower than the comparable windows phones?
    -How is the battery life?
    -Is the 512 MB of RAM limiting?
    I am going to be buying this phone to use as daily driver until I go to college in January and want it to be reliable before buying.
    Thanks!
    Windows Phone is stable operating system hardly ever lockup, it may hesitate a little bit every once a while, but, I do not have another WP8 device to compare it too..

Battery Life depends on a few factors, I can go all day on a full charge at 4g connection with 2 email accounts (live has item arrive and yahoo - every 30 minutes) and Wpcentral {live tile). All Background task are blocked from running expect those. And still listen to 8 hours of non streaming music and have 50% of more of battery left. But, I am light user per say.

If you have a lot of live tiles or do a lot of surfing then you battery can go down pretty quick. But depends on your usage.

512 ram I only run into problem with a few GAMES (mass effect, nova 3, etc). But most games will play, if you want to play high end games then look for a phone with 1gb ram. Most of those title will require it.
    06-14-2013 05:00 PM
    "Also does the 521 support haptic feedback on the buttons?"

The buttons have feedback the keyboard does not.
    06-14-2013 05:12 PM
    Windows Phone is stable operating system hardly ever lockup, it may hesitate a little bit every once a while, but, I do not have another WP8 device to compare it too..

Battery Life depends on a few factors, I can go all day on a full charge at 4g connection with 2 email accounts (live has item arrive and yahoo - every 30 minutes) and Wpcentral {live tile). All Background task are blocked from running expect those. And still listen to 8 hours of non streaming music and have 50% of more of battery left. But, I am light user per say.

If you have a lot of live tiles or do a lot of surfing then you battery can go down pretty quick. But depends on your usage.

512 ram I only run into problem with a few GAMES (mass effect, nova 3, etc). But most games will play, if you want to play high end games then look for a phone with 1gb ram. Most of those title will require it.
    The bit sounds like battery won't be a problem for me then. I turn off all networks and background sync, and keep brightness and screen time low. People always wonder why my RAZR M battery lasts all day long and have to tell then you have turn stuff off when you don't use it or else it will use your battery.

06-14-2013 05:12 PM
    If you expect to be able to do everything a $500 phone can do, then get a $500 phone. Otherwise, you won't find a better smartphone than the Lumia 521 for the price.

I've had mine since Monday and it has exceeded my expectations.
    06-14-2013 05:47 PM
    If you expect to be able to do everything a $500 phone can do, then get a $500 phone. Otherwise, you won't find a better smartphone than the Lumia 521 for the price.

I've had mine since Monday and it has exceeded my expectations.
    I know and understand that. I know if I got a prepaid android phone the performance may not be that good, as compared to windows phones who has more consistent performance across the board. It also helps that I have a several Microsoft products already so the switch isn't going to be hard. (HP Pavilion Windows 8 laptop, Outlook, Xbox 360, Skydrive, and Office 2013)

06-14-2013 08:31 PM
    For the Price, this is the hands-down best smartphone available. No other Android phones in the "budget" class can beat the 521, imho. The only exception, I would give is the LG Optimus L9, that has decent specs/performace, but it is $50-$70 more and there are some other trade offs too.
    06-14-2013 09:29 PM
    Let's just say you're going to pay half what I paid for my 620, so this is a really good deal, even for a WP.
    You shouldn't really have a problem with a low-end device such as this. It should be stable, smooth and just work. Remember, WP provides a high-end experience on low-end devices.

Also, I'd recommend you buy a spare battery (BL-5J) instead of worrying about battery life.
    06-14-2013 09:52 PM
    For the Price, this is the hands-down best smartphone available. No other Android phones in the "budget" class can beat the 521, imho. The only exception, I would give is the LG Optimus L9, that has decent specs/performace, but it is $50-$70 more and there are some other trade offs too.
    Yeah I was looking at the LG Optimus l9, then I realized I would be fine without all that. It is time I move onto other operating systems though android has been the best for the past 2 years.

06-15-2013 06:31 AM
    If you are a camera person, then try to shell out more for the 720. Night shots are stunning compared to the 620
    06-15-2013 06:48 AM
    If you are a camera person, then try to shell out more for the 720. Night shots are stunning compared to the 620
    I'm looking at prepaid in Atlanta, GA. The 720 isn't available around here nor is the 620. That's why I'm looking at the 521.

06-15-2013 08:44 AM
    Another question:

Which phone would be better the Huawei W1 or this?

I ask because, the W1 has a front and rear camera with a flash. But then again has less storage than the 521.

06-15-2013 09:06 AM
    If you need a Front Facing Camera and a Flash then yes. But you would be giving up a few things.

Less storage space for apps, you can only put music and pic on sd card. Not Apps.You will only have about 2 gig with Huawei versus 6gb with 521 out of box..
    Can beat Nokia Support, Apps and Updates.
    06-15-2013 10:55 AM
    If, when or until MS allows apps to be stored on the Mem Card, I'd go for the more storage over the flash and FFC. I've found that app storage can get chewed up quickly on Windows Phones and the 4gb difference between the Huawei and the 521 is huge in my opinion.

Unless the two features you mentioned are really important to how you will use this device, I'd go for more storage. But that's just my opinion.

Also with the 521 you will get the on board Nokia App Suites like maps, camera , music etc...that you will not get with the W1. Those add tremendous value to the 521. Especially Nokia Music which allows you to listen to music mix's offline. As a music lover, I've really been digging that feature!
    Tanno76 likes this.
    06-15-2013 11:06 AM
    If, when or until MS allows apps to be stored on the Mem Card, I'd go for the more storage over the flash and FFC. I've found that app storage can get chewed up quickly on Windows Phones and the 4gb difference between the Huawei and the 521 is huge in my opinion.

Unless the two features you mentioned are really important to how you will use this device, I'd go for more storage. But that's just my opinion.

Also with the 521 you will get the on board Nokia App Suites like maps, camera , music etc...that you will not get with the W1. Those add tremendous value to the 521. Especially Nokia Music which allows you to listen to music mix's offline. As a music lover, I've really been digging that feature!
    I don't stream music but that's a cool bonus. I listen to music off of my microsd card.

06-15-2013 11:22 AM
    Once my contract end with Verizon next month, I'm taking my number and moving to T-Mobile prepaid. Another thing how are data speeds on T-Mobile?

06-15-2013 11:23 AM
    I average around 5-7 megs on a busy day, 15-20 megs at night depending conditions. Where do you plan on going to school at ?
    06-15-2013 11:28 AM
    I primarily listen to my stored music as well and I have a huge load of tunes stored on the card. But even with that amount of tunes I have, the offline music mix's are cool because they will throw in obscure gems that I don't even have in my collection or maybe have not heard in a long, long while.
    06-15-2013 11:29 AM
    I average around 5-7 megs on a busy day, 15-20 megs at night depending conditions. Where do you plan on going to school at ?
    Downtown Atlanta most likely between GSU and GGC.

06-15-2013 01:09 PM
    If you listen to music, don't forget that the 521 has no equalizer.
    06-15-2013 07:43 PM
    If you listen to music, don't forget that the 521 has no equalizer.
    Thats true, but even without an equalizer it still sounds pretty darn good IMO. Loud and clear with good reproduction. It certainly sounds better than most similar priced $125-$150 devices I've come across, with or without an EQ

And when I listen with a paired device like my bluetooth speakers or the SYNC in my car which has its own sound enhancements built in if needed, it sounds even better.
    Last edited by Oakdale Dude; 06-16-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    06-16-2013 10:14 AM