Question about WIFI calling

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So I convinced my brother to buy the 521. He has been using an old Nokia flip phone for years and decided a phone held together by tape wasn't a good look. So he signed up for the $50 prepaid plan (unlimited txt, talk and 500mb of high speed data). One of the reasons he went with mobile was the WiFi calling. He calls me today telling me that a tmobile csr told him the WiFi calling doesn't come free with the plan (brother told me it was like another 7 bucks or so). Is this really true? I always thought it worked on any of their plans considering you are just using the minutes your plan comes with. I have never had tmobile so that was a guess on my part.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So I called tmobile and they said it only works with postpaid plans, which is weird because even postpaid plans are not contracts anymore. Seems pretty crappy.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It is free , no extra charge. I have the $30 prepaid plan and it should not matter what plan. T mobile reps and customer service reps are all uninformed about what is going on. They all make stupid statements when they don't know something instead of saying let me check. I had no less than 4 T mobile people tell me that wifi calling was not available for the 521. When I requested another service rep because you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I was forced to argue for some time before being transferred. I tried hanging up a few times but kept getting the first line of ***** reps so I made a pest of myself until they passed me to a smarter tech.

Check this thread for info: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-521/227741-feh-wifi-calling-force-closes.html

My wifi calling is awesome. I feel it is the most important feature on the phone.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I have called multiple tmobile's and all said it isn't included for prepaid. (talking specifically about the post and prepaid 50,60, and 70 plans). Maybe the $30 is different?

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I have called multiple tmobile's and all said it isn't included for prepaid. (talking specifically about the post and prepaid 50,60, and 70 plans). Maybe the $30 is different?

I've been using it on the $60 prepaid plan for the past month now. Used to use it on my Exhibit, with the same plan, until I flashed it to CM10.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD

AssistX

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the $50 prepaid plan as well and use WiFi Calling with no problems. What prompted him to check up on the restrictions on WiFi Calling? Was it because it wasn't working or not installed? If it is because it wasn't working, he should set the WiFi Calling tile to the double wide tile (Note, WiFi Calling is an app, not a setting) so he can see the error it is getting when it turns red. He may need to fill out the emergency 911 information on his account on the T-Mobile website. If it is because the WiFi Calling app isn't install, then he may need to update the firmware, make sure the device is backed up, and reset the phone to factory settings.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
kitten, He wants it because coverage at his house is total crap.

Here is how T-Mobile described it:
Pre-paid and Post-paid have the same plans (talking about the 50, 60,70 dollar plans)
Neither have contracts (pay before with pre, pay after with post)
Post you can pay for a phone over time, pre you can't
Post has WIFI calling, pre doesn't.
Both have free hotspot

I think sometimes the confusing comes in when someone says I have the $50 plan and can you use it. They may have the $50 post paid but consider it prepaid because they aren't on a contract. Also, for some people, it might also be a feature that has rolled over for being a long time customer. Others might have just been lucky or had an associate who didn't know they were supposed to turn it on. Lastly, this might be a brand new change.

I talked to local people and national people and they all said the same thing regarding WIFI calling. My brother ended up switching from pre to post. It really doesn't change much of anything considering it still isn't on contract.

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I and my wife are on prepaid plans and can confirm both my Nokia Lumia 521 ans my wife's Samsung (android) both work with wifi calling. If you have limited minutes, it does count against your minutes.
We had prepaid plans before Tmobile went no contract for all their plans.
I actually tried to switch to post paid, but the tmobile rep told me we would have to get new phone numbers to switch to post paid. So I have opted to stay on prepaid account.
Not sure what your tmobile rep is talking about, but from my end the wifi calling has always worked. I came to tmobile specifically to the prepaid account to not have a contract back in early 2012.

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site
... and to add to that, I had sprint prior to tmobile.
We live in an area where all services have spotty coverage. I am in flight path of air force base and swear they jam signals, but that is for another post :smile:
With sprint, they gave me a signal booster and we literally needed to be in line of sight of that booster to get reception. With the wifi calling on Tmobile, I have good reception inside and outside my house. I think my wifi router was much better than the booster.
Oddly, my wife with her samsung needs to use wifi calling (with Tmobile) when home, but my lumia 521 get's far better reception and actually do not need to use the wifi calling at home.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have read that Nokia phones generally have very good reception. I had this 4 or so years ago and couldn't stand it . One reason why I went so long without a cell phone.

WP_20130528_002.jpg

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well my brother switched to post paid (non-contract) which is about the same price. The WIFI calling is working great at his house now. Also, I told him about the signal booster as an option also.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The Wifi calling looks like a nice feature to have.

When I'm at work, I cannot get a signal (AT&T) because my office is in a dead spot.

I'm interested in getting a 521 to try out Windows Phone 8.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The Wifi calling looks like a nice feature to have.

When I'm at work, I cannot get a signal (AT&T) because my office is in a dead spot.

I'm interested in getting a 521 to try out Windows Phone 8.

Just make sure your work allows for person cell phones on the network.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
did you just call and ask for the booster?

yes. I've been a customer since 2000, so they were happy to give it to me. I have a decent signal in
one corner of the house, so that's where I put the antenna, and then the booster is in a more central location. Works really well.

EDIT: I searched the T-Mobile sit and found a notation that that they have suspended the booster program, so you would need to purchase one instead. Here's the site they direct you too: http://cel-fi.com/

Last edited:

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
FYI!....The Official T-Mobile WiFi Calling App is available for download in the Windows Market! Which means if like me you updated but had not reset your device yet to get the app, you can now just get the official T-Mo WiFi Calling App to start making calls. I got it and it works as smooth as butter right out of the batters box, and I did not have to reset my device!

WOO-HOO, Thanks T-Mobile

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720