521 slow shutter

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Is a slow shutter speed on the 521 the norm? When I go to take my first photo, the shutter easily takes about 3 seconds to shoot the photo. After that it speeds up.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the slow shutter issue is in general an ongoing pathology to Nokia..

Since I came into the Nokia fold, ALL of my phones have had this issue. It's not slow enough to lose the shot, but still annoying. I've tried fast shutter apps, but always been disappointed with the quality of the photo.

My Nokia phones to date:

Lumia 800:
Slow Shutter, Horrid photo quality.

Lumia 900:
Slow Shutter, OK quality

PureView 808:
Slow Shutter, Kickass Quality beyond Belief!
Note: tried various Quickshot stuff available for Symbian, but always ended up going back to native camera app..

Nokia 6010:
No Camera - no Wifi/Bluetooth/MP3
Rebuilt from original new parts from old stock.
Using as my backup phone on prepaid SIM.
Been in my bag for 3 mos - turned on - FULL battery!

Lumia 521:
Slow Shutter (but better than 808), VERY good photo quality
Love 808,. but sick of Symbian. So this is my interim Window Phone until the EOS hits, and I decide whether to go for that or the 925..
For days where I wanted to use the 808, I used to transfer the microSIM and that worked ok, but since discovering the 521 on T-Mobile does tethering, now I bring both phones, shoot with the 808, then upload to Flickr tethering to the 521, which works great since the 521 does 4G and I have the $70/mo unlimited-everything plan.

One thing about editing hi-res shots - the 521 has some amazing photo edit software out now; but the phone can't handle the 38-MP file sizes, so if I want to use the newer software, I have to reduce my shots to 8 or 5 MP before transferring the photos to the 521 via bluetooth for editing - and then everything works pretty well. I know I can dumb the 808 down to 5 or 8 while shooting, but I love taking advantage of the full res capability in many situations even though most of the time I don't need to..

In all, while the 521 has its limitations, I think it's functionality goes way beyond a typical entry level phone. I don't know if I'd put it on the same level as the 900 (although the camera and other features are an improvment) and I miss having a nice AMOLED screen, but I think the 521 excepting the screen goes way beyond the Lumia 800 in pretty much all other respects..

One last thought..
I like downloading podcasts for offline use, and use podcast lounge. The most annoying thing about WindowsPhone 8 is not being able to have 3rd party apps access my 32GB card for storage, so I end up running out of room on the phone's internal storage! Hopefully 8.1 will rectify this. If not, the larger RAM and internal storage of the 925 or EOS will solve this problem regardless!

Cheers..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos