07-30-2013 03:04 PM
28 12
tools
    It's good to hear from someone actually using a T-Mobile Lumia 521 on Ptel without it needing to be unlocked. Thanks...

So right now my phone is running with the micro-sim card that came in all the T-Mobile packaging, it's been activated with T-Mobile so I have that phone number, and I added a $10 pay as you go card to it that still has about $7 on it, and is good for another 2 1/2 months.

To switch over to Ptel I'm guessing I would buy a "COMBI CARD" and a "REAL PAYGO" card from Ptel. I'd then swap out my current T-Mobile micro-sim card with this new Ptel card, activate the phone with Ptel and get a new phone number, and then add the Ptel paygo card to the account. I should then be running on Ptel with phone number and have voice, text, and data being charged at the Ptel rates. Does that all sound about right?
    Sounds good. I personally use Google Voice with the MetroTalk app so I don't text--that's all on data. If you're buying PTel, check on the latest coupon codes at Prepaid Phone News -- I believe the unlimited PINs work also as Paygo fill-ups so you can get some nice discounts.
    07-18-2013 09:41 AM
    Sounds good. I personally use Google Voice with the MetroTalk app so I don't text--that's all on data. If you're buying PTel, check on the latest coupon codes at Prepaid Phone News -- I believe the unlimited PINs work also as Paygo fill-ups so you can get some nice discounts.
    Fantastic... I was able to set up a new "Real PayGo GSM" account using COMBI card and $40 top up card bought with the PTEL25BRAD promo found at Prepaid Phone News. My account on Ptel shows an "Airtime Balance" of $39.93 and "Access Expiration" of 12/26/13, which I'm guessing is 150 days from now. Used the phone settings information on their "Support" page to get data working, which seems fine. Added the new phone number to my "real" Google Voice number and all works well using MetroTalk on my Nokia Lumia 521.
    07-30-2013 03:00 PM
    Fantastic... I was able to set up a new "Real PayGo GSM" account using COMBI card and $40 top up card bought with the PTEL25BRAD promo found at Prepaid Phone News. My account on Ptel shows an "Airtime Balance" of $39.93 and "Access Expiration" of 12/26/13, which I'm guessing is 150 days from now. Used the phone settings information on their "Support" page to get data working, which seems fine. Added the new phone number to my "real" Google Voice number and all works well using MetroTalk on my Nokia Lumia 521.
    I'm glad everything worked out for you. This has been a pretty good solution for me. After 1 month, I've used only $10. The only slightly annoying thing is that MetroTalk doesn't seem to deal well with being tombstoned, which happens a lot when you're on a device with only 512 MB of RAM. For example, after it gets tombstoned, when you start MetroTalk using a pinned contact, it doesn't automatically take you to the screen to dial that contact, but rather to where you left off, so you have to go back to the home screen and hit the pinned contact again. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying at times.
    07-30-2013 03:04 PM
28 12