The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-30-2013 03:04 PM
28 12
tools
    I know the $30/month plan is pretty popular but I don't want to pay $30 every month for unlimited text and data + 100 minutes for a burner phone (The 521 is my secondary device that I only plan to use for off-line GPS and music).

Is there a cheaper pre-paid plan available on T-Mobile where I fill up the SIM card for $30-40 and forget about it?
    07-05-2013 12:20 PM
    I know the $30/month plan is pretty popular but I don't want to pay $30 every month for unlimited text and data + 100 minutes for a burner phone (The 521 is my secondary device that I only plan to use for off-line GPS and music).

Is there a cheaper pre-paid plan available on T-Mobile where I fill up the SIM card for $30-40 and forget about it?
    Do you want data then or you just wanted cheap minutes and texting?

T-Mobile <====Third party site that has ALL the prepaid's on one site.
    07-05-2013 12:45 PM
    Do you want data then or you just wanted cheap minutes and texting?

T-Mobile <====Third party site that has ALL the prepaid's on one site.
    It will be nice to have cheap minutes and texting to go with a reasonable amount of data. I don't need too much of anything. I can certainly live without unlimited of everything.
    07-05-2013 01:58 PM
    They had a 500 min unlimited text and 500 Mb plan for $30 but I can't find it now. I think they did away with it the beginning of the year when they went "no contract".
    07-05-2013 04:45 PM
    It will be nice to have cheap minutes and texting to go with a reasonable amount of data. I don't need too much of anything. I can certainly live without unlimited of everything.
    Are you looking for a pay as you go option? If you don't mind using a T-Mobile MVNO, PTel Mobile offers 5c/min calls with 10c/MB for data. The downside is that you can't roam onto AT&T's network so you have only T-Mobile coverage. I've been using my Lumia 521 on PTel for a few weeks now without any issues. Most of the time I'm on Wi-Fi so I don't pay much in data (and they don't round up data charges, which is also important).
    07-05-2013 06:45 PM
    If your doing off line GPS and music why do you need any data plan
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    07-05-2013 07:12 PM
    yea their 30 dollar plan is as good as it gets. 5GB of data for 30 bucks. I'm using it and that's the best I've seen from any carrier. I supplement my minutes with Skype using Bing points. tmobile doesn't offer anything better in terms of data.
    07-05-2013 08:45 PM
    I would recommend looking into MVNO's that use T-Mo's network. The best choice I see is Simple Mobile, for $40 everything is unlimited, with the first 500 MB at 4G speeds.
    07-06-2013 12:23 PM
    Ur not going to go cheaper than 30
    07-06-2013 12:32 PM
    Is the $30 at T-Mobile still available? Found the answer after some hunting. Walmart has an exclusive T-Mobile plan for $30.00.
    Last edited by Harry Wild; 07-12-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    07-11-2013 07:43 PM
    Hi Harry. You can still get the $30 tmo plan online with an activation kit but they hide the option really well. I have their mvno ptel and they have coupon deals now where for $20 you will get a sim and a $40 top up refil. You can use it for a payg- good for 5 months, then you must add $$ to keep it rolling over and the initial fill will expire in a years time. Or you can do the $40/mo plan for your $20. Look at ptel's or platinumtel threads on howard forums.
    07-12-2013 10:07 AM
    The cheapest I've found is Lycamobile, which is an MVNO using T-Mobile's network. Their pay as you go is 2 cents/min talk, 4 cents per text, and 6 cents per MB data. They also have monthly plans starting as low as $16 (250 minutes, unlimited text, 50 MB data).

The cheapest T-Mobile plan is the $30 plan -- they have two, one with data and one without. Otherwise, they have $2/day (w/2G data speeds) or $3/day plans (throttled after 200 MB), or you can "pay as you go" which is talk and text only (no data).
    07-13-2013 06:16 PM
    The cheapest I've found is Lycamobile, which is an MVNO using T-Mobile's network. Their pay as you go is 2 cents/min talk, 4 cents per text, and 6 cents per MB data. They also have monthly plans starting as low as $16 (250 minutes, unlimited text, 50 MB data).

The cheapest T-Mobile plan is the $30 plan -- they have two, one with data and one without. Otherwise, they have $2/day (w/2G data speeds) or $3/day plans (throttled after 200 MB), or you can "pay as you go" which is talk and text only (no data).
    You found the lowest cost that I seen in Lycamobile. I could not find the $30 at T-Mobile. I looking in to the T-Mibile pre-paid renewal too. Thanks mogelijk and MsBuzzman.
    07-13-2013 06:51 PM
    You found the lowest cost that I seen in Lycamobile. I could not find the $30 at T-Mobile. I looking in to the T-Mibile pre-paid renewal too. Thanks mogelijk and MsBuzzman.
    If you go to the page I linked, almost at the very bottom, there are two boxes, side by side, with the two $30 plans. The $30 100 minute talk plan is frequently called the "Walmart plan", as it has been a Walmart exclusive (I'm not sure that it is any longer). To get the plan, you simply need to get a Prepaid SIM kit and activate it online, the $30 will be one of the options when you activate the SIM card.
    07-13-2013 11:20 PM

How do you add a phone on Lycamobile?

I purchased my T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 a few weeks ago to play around with. I added a $10 T-Mobile pay-as-you-go card to it just to get started. Then installed MetroTalk on it and have that using an existing Google Voice number, and am totally loving the 521 and whole Windows Phone 8 setup. I'm thinking I'd really like to use cheap minute/text/data plan that Lycamobile offers. I'm just not sure how to to set up this T-Mobile phone on Lycamobile.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks...
    07-16-2013 04:36 PM
    To use a T-Mobile phone on Lycamobile, I believe you will need to get the phone unlocked. Other than that, just have Lycamobile send you a free SIM card, then activate the card and add some money, online, to the account they set up for you. I believe the minimum payment is $10 and the money stays on your account as long as you do not go more than 90 days without activity.
    07-16-2013 10:48 PM
    Thanks mogelijk... Are you actually using a T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 on Lycamobile? How did you unlock it? My understanding is T-Mobile has some pretty strict requirements before they'll unlock the 521. I've only had the phone a couple of weeks, have only added $10 to it, have no intention of using it outside of the US, so don't think T-Mobile will be too agreeable to an unlock request.
    07-17-2013 09:36 AM
    U should not need to unlock the phone for lycamobile which is a t-mobile mvno.
    07-17-2013 09:54 AM
    U should not need to unlock the phone for lycamobile which is a t-mobile mvno.
    Lycamobile operates differently from other T-Mobile MVNOs. Even though it is a T-Mobile MVNO, it has separate codes that appear to the phone as if it's a different network. For other T-Mobile MVNOs, such as PTel, you don't need to unlock your Lumia. For Lycamobile, you probably do.

Also Lycamobile rounds up data so that the minimum charge is 1 cent for each data access. As a result, their data is actually more expensive than PTel despite PTel being 10 cents/MB. PTel won't charge you 1 cent until your data accrues 100 KB, so you see lots of 0 cent charges in your call records.
    07-17-2013 11:39 AM
    I haven't used a 521 on Lycamobile. My understanding is that, at least typically, you need to buy a month (or two) of service and, after that month, you can unlock your phone so long as your account is still in good standing. It is possible that the 521 has different rules, or it may also be that there are different rules for prepaid (particularly the $30) users.
    07-17-2013 12:57 PM
    I've looked around a bit more and have come across a few postings from people indicating they've been able to use a T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 on PTEL, straight out of the box, no unlocking required. I'll give that a closer look. I'm on wifi probably 80% of the time I have the phone with me, and with MetroTalk and a Google Voice number I'm not going to doing very much txting with the phone's plan itself. So something with cheap pay as you go voice minutes and data would be ideal...
    07-17-2013 03:23 PM
    FYI... just finished a chat with "Sarah" at Ptel and she states a T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 has to be UNLOCKED in order to be used on Ptel... Of course she could be mistaken, but there you have it...
    07-17-2013 03:51 PM
    FYI... just finished a chat with "Sarah" at Ptel and she states a T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 has to be UNLOCKED in order to be used on Ptel... Of course she could be mistaken, but there you have it...
    That's the official answer that PTel gives for everything. I and several others over at Howard Forums are using Lumia 521 on PTel with no issues. Data works just fine on the standard T-Mobile APN that is set up initially when you purchase the phone, not the APN settings that PTel have listed on their website.
    07-17-2013 05:14 PM
    I've looked around a bit more and have come across a few postings from people indicating they've been able to use a T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 on PTEL, straight out of the box, no unlocking required. I'll give that a closer look. I'm on wifi probably 80% of the time I have the phone with me, and with MetroTalk and a Google Voice number I'm not going to doing very much txting with the phone's plan itself. So something with cheap pay as you go voice minutes and data would be ideal...
    This is exactly what I do. I have push notifications set up for MetroTalk so that runs on data, and I try to disable notifications and live tile updates almost everything else that runs on data without crippling the functionality of the phone. For example, I leave the live tile updates on for Weather and Outlook, but not Weave and Nextgen Reader.
    07-17-2013 05:16 PM
    That's the official answer that PTel gives for everything. I and several others over at Howard Forums are using Lumia 521 on PTel with no issues. Data works just fine on the standard T-Mobile APN that is set up initially when you purchase the phone, not the APN settings that PTel have listed on their website.
    It's good to hear from someone actually using a T-Mobile Lumia 521 on Ptel without it needing to be unlocked. Thanks...

So right now my phone is running with the micro-sim card that came in all the T-Mobile packaging, it's been activated with T-Mobile so I have that phone number, and I added a $10 pay as you go card to it that still has about $7 on it, and is good for another 2 1/2 months.

To switch over to Ptel I'm guessing I would buy a "COMBI CARD" and a "REAL PAYGO" card from Ptel. I'd then swap out my current T-Mobile micro-sim card with this new Ptel card, activate the phone with Ptel and get a new phone number, and then add the Ptel paygo card to the account. I should then be running on Ptel with phone number and have voice, text, and data being charged at the Ptel rates. Does that all sound about right?
    07-18-2013 09:17 AM
28 12