Hey! I just got my Lumia from HSN and I am loving it! It is such a powerful device for the price and the windows phone platform is phenomenal. I do have a slight problem though. On my last windows phone, an HTC Radar 4g, I had the option to make the audio options for music playback and video playback sound better. I.e. Bass boost and all. Is there an equalizer on this phone? That is my question and true concern.
    07-27-2013 08:16 AM
    On the 520/521 there is no equaliser as Nokia wanted to differentiate the software features from their more expensive handsets so omitted this feature.
    07-27-2013 08:21 AM
    Does anyone know of an app that provides this?
    07-27-2013 06:33 PM
    None that I have seen yet. I'm a little disappointed there isn't an option on the 521, but regardless still a great phone for the price.
    07-28-2013 05:43 PM
    Yeah, I kind of miss having an EQ as was in some of my old Symbian phones and other devices I've owned.

The sound reproduction out of this device is surprisingly pretty decent for such a low $$ unit, but having an EQ just to tweak it here and there would have been a nice addition.
    07-28-2013 06:33 PM
    Do you want a phone for $120 or do you want an Equalizer? Haha

The reason they can get away with SUCH a cheap phone and still have it powerful is by cutting corners with part material costs (no Flash for example) and part software cost. An Equalizer would be used by a fraction of the owners, so to not sink Engineering dollars into it was a smart move.

Having such a cheap phone could really show you that you are more of a power user than you expected!
    08-01-2013 10:39 AM
    Ok time for a stupid comment. Many years ago I was involved with a few audiophiles. You could even say I was a budding audiophile. Anyway back in the day a True audiophile would not use an equalizer because they wanted to hear the music unaltered which is how it is meant to be.............different strokes for different folks...............calfee
    08-01-2013 10:18 PM
    I wouldn't exactly call myself an audiophile, but I agree with them on EQs. Most of the time, they do more harm than good. I rarely feel the need for one.

I'm using my 521 (w/64GB micro SD) as an iPod with a voice and data plan. I use it on my commute to play audio books and at work for playing music.

I wouldn't say it's a golden ears wonder, but I find it perfectly acceptable for playing anything that's been subjected to lossy compression.

Naturally, the speaker's crappy, but with a decent set of headphones, it gets the job done.
    08-02-2013 02:20 PM
    I own a Sony Walkman NWZ-E465 that I use for music. It has 16 GB of memory and is much better for music than my 521, (even with lossy compression) and it's smaller. But it costs as much as the phone did, so no complaints there. I wasn't thinking that Nokia should include an equalizer, I just thought there might be an app for one by now, considering it's one of the few weaknesses of the phone. Even with the outstanding sound of the Walkman, I use the equalizer on it. An equalizer is helpful when making up for a weak response in some parts of the dynamic range of the music, due to ear buds, amplification, environment, or differences in hearing. It can help you hear the music "the way it was meant to be heard."
    08-03-2013 08:35 PM