Lumia 521 Issues (Random Restart, Weird Transition effect)

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys, just got a Lumia 521 and I love this phone, but I am running into few issues sometimes and I was wondering if this is a defect with the hardware or the software:

• Phone restarts randomly, happens once every 2-4 day, I think this happens when I am heavily using the phone, too many apps open and running in the background.
  • The transition effect when I press the windows button shows the top bar (where the clock is and the other connection icons) it shows it mirrored in tiles, it shows that for a moment during the transition effect then shows the home screen, restarting the phone eliminates this problem.
  • My phone died once since I got it, and to get it back on I had to take out the battery and put it back in.

Thanks!

BrandonCormier

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I think these are software issues. Try doing a hard reset. My phone randomly restarts every once in a while and I have also had to pull the battery a couple of times.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, just got a Lumia 521 and I love this phone, but I am running into few issues sometimes and I was wondering if this is a defect with the hardware or the software:

• Phone restarts randomly, happens once every 2-4 day, I think this happens when I am heavily using the phone, too many apps open and running in the background.
  • The transition effect when I press the windows button shows the top bar (where the clock is and the other connection icons) it shows it mirrored in tiles, it shows that for a moment during the transition effect then shows the home screen, restarting the phone eliminates this problem.
  • My phone died once since I got it, and to get it back on I had to take out the battery and put it back in.

Thanks!

I'm having the SAME EXACT issues with my brand new Nokia Lumia 521! I've only had it less than two days and from the beginning it would randomly start itself. It's done it 4 times that I've noticed so that's twice a day so far! And just an hour ago it wouldn't want up from sleep! It wouldn't turn on. Completely unresponsive! I had to pull the battery out of the back and put it back in to get our to turn on.

This is rubbish. The phone is BRAND NEW! I haven't even installed any apps yet! Overy just barely got my emails and personal info set up so please don't tell me it's any apps I installed that are causing this. It's not. The OS and/or phone is buggy.

I did a software update of all the pre-installed apps. I still had a random phantom reset...

I really like this phone and the beauty that is Windows Phone 8 so I really don't want to have to return it... Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you.

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Either I've been very lucky or you may have received a lemon!

I've had my 521 device since it was initially offered by HSN. I'n the 3 months I've had it, its froze/rebooted itself maybe twice at most. My device has been very stable so far for me.

As somebody mentioned, try resetting the phone. If that does not solve the issues, then there may be something else in the mix causing the issues.

Make_It_So

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
There seems to be a issue with the battery not being snug enough. There is a small amount of side to side play. My wife's 521 was randomly rebooting a couple times a day too. I folded some paper and wrapped it around the edge opposite the contacts and it has a tighter fit. The phone has not rebooted since.

Bidwar

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
BOO HOO Price drop to $99, very much regret this purchase.Same problem, it's crashed ! Suppose to be a relatively new phone. I can see class action law suite for this. Free WIFI calling that's never there. Miss my old droid so much, going for LG L 9 when I see price break.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
BOO HOO Price drop to $99, very much regret this purchase.Same problem, it's crashed ! Suppose to be a relatively new phone. I can see class action law suite for this. Free WIFI calling that's never there. Miss my old droid so much, going for LG L 9 when I see price break.

the WiFi calling isn't free. It uses your data plans mins. And you might have a bad phone. I've had my 521 since it came out and had 1 problem because I didn't snap the back of my phone on all the way and caused the battery to come loose. Also check settings, swipe right to applications, and select background tasks. If you have too many apps in the background running they can cause your phone to crash also.

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had none of the issues addressed here in this thread. I have used this phone for 2 months and have had absolutely no problems. You guys should have returned it and got a new one.

Martin Munaylla

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 phone same model and I regret buying this phone is a piece of crap freezing, and the battery fitting is true reason why is been turned off all the time, most of the time I have the same error memory not recognized connect to a computer, contacted T-Mobil guess what they want to charge me 50 dollar to replaced for the same model, I pay for this phones more that a 120 for each, big mistake I will never ever buy any Nokia phone and no Windows 8 9 or 10 phone in my household, Nokia said talk to T-mobile they should take responsibility for their product and if they have any shame at all they should recall this crappy phones.
If you phone is working I'm happy for you but I know there is a lot of people with this issue, and don't thing that down the road you will start having the same issue and worse when your warranty already expired.

Manny C

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got a 521 and its been happening to me as well, I don't really mind though as it's not anything exceptionally frustrating. It happens mostly when its in heavy use though. Either way I love it a lot more than I thought I would!

TractorDre

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It is not a software problem.

It is the battery that moves and breaks contact with the connector.:wink:

Try this. Turn the phone on. Hold it in one hand then Tap the side of the phone into you other hand. Rotate the phone until it shuts off.

For me this problem just started about 2 weeks ago. It got worst when I left the phone in the truck during cold weather. It was shutting off just placing it down on the table.

You have to shim the underside of the battery so that it makes a better contact with the connector. Try folding a piece of paper and place it under the battery near the connector. Use your finger and see if the battery has an up and down play. If it does. Remove the battery and fold the paper again and replace the battery. After the play is decreased. You will see a gap on top of the battery. Place a piece of paper folded to act as a cushion. Then replace the cover. Now test to see if it shuts off.

Andre

concretejimmy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
The Nokia 521. An excellent idea. A POS phone.
I am the unlucky owner of one of these. When it works, it works great. Too bad that isn't more often
I think the build quality is just too poor. It does feel like a toy in my hand.

But having to hard reset the brick is what really kills it. All that time loading and personalizing, then, bam- no service. Tmob can't do squat. So after trying everything a dozen times, hard reset is your only option. Then you start all over again. What an incredible waste of time and money.

Who wants an unreliable phone? Really, this is more a talented mp3 player with WiFi capability than it is a phone, because the phone constantly fails me, for days at a time. Tiny assortment of apps for windoze seals its fate.

Too bad they didn't fix the bugs before release. Same old story, sell you junk so you need to come back in 6 months and buy more junk.

I will be avoiding both Nokia and Windoze phones for awhile, moving back to the reliable. And Tmobile is just the weakest most pathetic provider to deal with, yuk.

Epic fail, Nokia :unhappy:

PepsiCola155

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 521, I bought back in November. It just started doing this recently but its gotten worse. Now it does it every few minutes. It won't open any apps. Never liked the phone either. Just a quick question, did you guys have your bluetooth on? Trying to figure out if it may have been a virus? Thanks! I plan to purchase an new phone, definitely not a windows or nokia.

Grace Taylor

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
My lumia 521 starts up in the middle of the night sitting on the night stand. In the morning the battery is shot. Then it will not charge even when pluged into the wall charger. I called T-mob and their tech was talking me thru getting the back off and it was really stuck. He told me to pry it with a coin or screwdriver. When I tried that the screen shattered. Now T-Mob says there is no warranty because I broke the phone. I only did what the help desk told me to do. So now I not only have a POS, but its a broken POS:angry:

thuang45

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 521. I am not too happy with this phone. The calling is fine, though it used to glitch and freeze the screen. I have a main problems with this phone, however. The first is that the texting is faulty. Every once in a while, I have to turn off my phone and turn it back on, and then some text messages appear. They sent it maybe a few hours or days back, but only until I turn off my phone can I see some of those messages. Is there a way to fix this issue so I don't have to constantly turn off my phone?

parkton22

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 521. I am not too happy with this phone. The calling is fine, though it used to glitch and freeze the screen. I have a main problems with this phone, however. The first is that the texting is faulty. Every once in a while, I have to turn off my phone and turn it back on, and then some text messages appear. They sent it maybe a few hours or days back, but only until I turn off my phone can I see some of those messages. Is there a way to fix this issue so I don't have to constantly turn off my phone?

Mine did this and it seemed to be related to having wi fi calling enabled. Once I turned this feature off it stopped doing this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos