Temporary files won't clear

jordandrako

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my phone, using Nokia's storage check app to clear the temp files worked flawlessly, leaving less than 20MB of files left. Now, I have 970MB of temp files, on top of the 950MB of Other. Hitting the clear button doesn't do anything anymore and the Shrink Storage app isn't working either. On a phone with less than 8GB for apps and games, this is getting ridiculous. I've had to uninstall almost all my games and large apps to make room. Is my only option to do a hard reset?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my phone, using Nokia's storage check app to clear the temp files worked flawlessly, leaving less than 20MB of files left. Now, I have 970MB of temp files, on top of the 950MB of Other. Hitting the clear button doesn't do anything anymore and the Shrink Storage app isn't working either. On a phone with less than 8GB for apps and games, this is getting ridiculous. I've had to uninstall almost all my games and large apps to make room. Is my only option to do a hard reset?

You can wait for GDR2 to address your other issue. But at the end of the day , you will never have 0 or 0 temp or other files.
If you knew you were going to be installing alot of games and apps, you should have opted for a phone with more than 8gb

Lets say.. In a perfect world, you do get your temp and other down to 0mb each. You will use that space to install more apps/games and eventually you will not be able to install anymore. Then what?

You will need to uninstall more apps and games

People think Microsoft is so horrible seems like they are forgetting about the 16gb s4 fiasco where users had about 9gbs free after the os ,lol

jordandrako

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Where in my post did you think I said MS is horrible? I've never used android or iOS and won't if I have the choice.
Thanks for being very helpful, telling me I should have had my wife spend $350 more on her gift so I could have a phone with 16GB of storage (with no SD slot), why didn't I think of that before.
I don't need 0MB of Other, I expected that to be an issue before I got the phone, I'm just wondering why the clear button worked before but not now.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
People think Microsoft is so horrible seems like they are forgetting about the 16gb s4 fiasco where users had about 9gbs free after the os ,lol

its not about getting lower space in mobile phone, ms has simply not given any option to clear cache or in this case, the issue is about other storage which for some people keeps growing and they have no choice except to do a hard reset. Its a sorry state of affairs. S4 is not a fiasco unlike this other storage. Mine is currently occupying 1.3gb which i have no way to clear. Samsung at least promises 9gb of clean storage, and its expandable including apps!! Op hasn't compared anyway

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Where in my post did you think I said MS is horrible? I've never used android or iOS and won't if I have the choice.
Thanks for being very helpful, telling me I should have had my wife spend $350 more on her gift so I could have a phone with 16GB of storage (with no SD slot), why didn't I think of that before.
I don't need 0MB of Other, I expected that to be an issue before I got the phone, I'm just wondering why the clear button worked before but not now.

It will clear what it can.

its not about getting lower space in mobile phone, ms has simply not given any option to clear cache or in this case, the issue is about other storage which for some people keeps growing and they have no choice except to do a hard reset. Its a sorry state of affairs. S4 is not a fiasco unlike this other storage. Mine is currently occupying 1.3gb which i have no way to clear. Samsung at least promises 9gb of clean storage, and its expandable including apps!! Op hasn't compared anyway

As mentioned before. Other storage has been addressed with GDR2

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. My temporary files are now up to 1.8 GB & it won't clear.

The best way to clear temporary files is to reset your phone. However, you will lose everything that is on there. and if you have apps that are no longer available to download I understand why you wouldn't take this path.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Missing what it says:
"Temporary files that are no longer needed are removed automatically, but you can clear some of them yourself now to free up a bit of space".
It does not say it will clear all. It says it will clear what is no longer needed.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have to bite the bullet on it. I'm just afraid that since it's a sim unlocked 920 running on T-Mobile that's also Dev unlocked thanks to Microsoft preview for developers app that I will have so much to lose. APN settings, etc, app log in information in addition to losing apps no longer in the marketplace. but between the 2.1 in temporary files that can't be deleted & other storage taking up 3.5 gb, I need to take back that 5 GB somehow before 8.1 for the lumia 920 comes out.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
For the OP, WP8.1 will allow you to move downloaded apps to an SD card so that might help.

In regard to clearing "Other", you can't really - as long as it isn't growing in size there's really nothing else you can do....my Other has been at 1.1GB since the Black update. In terms of temporary files, what I read somewhere (and it worked for me) is that you change the date forward to the year 2100, and THEN go and clear the temp files under phone storage. It'll take a while (I exited out of the screen and locked it and left it for an hour on my desk) but maybe leave it overnight? I cleared 1.3GB down to 10MB. The only problem is that it comes back quickly

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have to bite the bullet on it. I'm just afraid that since it's a sim unlocked 920 running on T-Mobile that's also Dev unlocked thanks to Microsoft preview for developers app that I will have so much to lose. APN settings, etc, app log in information in addition to losing apps no longer in the marketplace. but between the 2.1 in temporary files that can't be deleted & other storage taking up 3.5 gb, I need to take back that 5 GB somehow before 8.1 for the lumia 920 comes out.

Do you have a lot of apps installed?

ibenzawla

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
You can wait for GDR2 to address your other issue. But at the end of the day , you will never have 0 or 0 temp or other files.
If you knew you were going to be installing alot of games and apps, you should have opted for a phone with more than 8gb

Lets say.. In a perfect world, you do get your temp and other down to 0mb each. You will use that space to install more apps/games and eventually you will not be able to install anymore. Then what?

You will need to uninstall more apps and games

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason of having the option to clear temp files? I say so because I still have about 2 GB free space but no matter how I try the temp files keeps filling up again as soon as I finished emptying it. Not that I care but I would like to know. Sometimes I even wonder if it just refreshes it instead of actually deleting the files.

ibenzawla

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Then for me there is no need. If it gets full then its time to prioritize.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs