Use Lumia 520 or 521 in Holland?

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I am going to be in Holland for a year (I'm from the states). I would like to take an unlocked 520 or 521 and pop in a SIM card over there.
Is that possible?
If so, how and what is the easiest way to do it?
Is there a better/recommended option other than the 520 or 521?

If I recall, on the iPhone my friend just ran a program that jailbreaked and unlocked it at the same time.
I'm looking for the cheapest solution to having a smartphone while I am there and I do not want a low-end Android device. Prices on phones in Holland seem pretty steep.

I have never been an AT&T or T-Mobile customer, but I may be able to get a friend who is on T-Mobile to get it unlocked.

Phone networks are not my thing! :confused:
Thanks

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
You can sign up with any provider since it's unlocked and you'll be billed, there are no contracts as far as I know in Europe
Or just buy a SIM where you add minutes from many providers in EU like T Mobile or Vodafone .
Here you compare the difference between the two Nokia Lumia 520 vs Nokia Lumia 521 in Smartphones
both will work on the four major GSM networks in Europe
The 521 is unlocked correct or you haven't got it yet?

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wait, so the 520 and 521 are unlocked already?
If so then I think my dilemma is solved, but I was thinking I needed to unlock it first, before I could use a SIM from another carrier.

I'd like to just buy a sim card and add minutes when I get there.

Edit: It looks like I would need to get the "Factory Unlocked" version if I want it to be unlocked? If this is true, bummer as it will almost cost double. I'd like to find a way to get the first phone unlocked.
520: http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-5...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2079203
520 Unlocked: http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-5...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2079203

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you need to either get the phone unlocked by the carrier or buy an unlocked version. The only real difference between the 520 and 521 is that the 521 is 4 mm longer and it also has support for T-Mobile's 3G frequencies. Either phone should work fine in the Netherlands once unlocked; as was mentioned, the best way is to buy a SIM card there with a plan/pay as you go that fits your needs.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Wait, so the 520 and 521 are unlocked already?
If so then I think my dilemma is solved, but I was thinking I needed to unlock it first, before I could use a SIM from another carrier.

I'd like to just buy a sim card and add minutes when I get there.

Edit: It looks like I would need to get the "Factory Unlocked" version if I want it to be unlocked? If this is true, bummer as it will almost cost double. I'd like to find a way to get the first phone unlocked.
520: Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories
520 Unlocked: Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8: Cell Phones & Accessories
You can buy it unlocked$$$$ or buy it locked$$ and buy$ a code to unlock it.
You just need to Google "unlock 521 ( or 520) code" and there are plenty of providers who will send you the code anywhere from $35-75.
And NO they don't come unlocked in the USA in Europe phone are unlocked. But to buy the code you'll need the phone to get the IMEI # off the phone and follow specific instructions -anyway Google & find a provider and then you'll see the price before you buy by entering the specifics of the phone(s) you're looking at specifics as in provider *T Mobile, AT&T etc and the model with that they will say IF they can provide a code and how much. It's pretty self explanatory. The only issue with unlock codes is you only have 3, maybe 5 times to enter the correct info in a sequence and if you keep messing up the phone will lock permanently and no one can use it.
It's not that hard to unlock but sometimes people get it wrong and all they end up with is a useless phone that they can only sell for parts.
Just realized it's only $189. unlocked my 810 would be about $360.

Last edited:

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, this is helpful.
Any specific sites that you would recommend PB_H? Seems like there are some shady looking ones lol
Looks like the 520 is the right route, because the 521 costs $80 for an unlock code while the 520 costs $20.

I do have a friend that is on T-Mobile. Even if he doesn't use it, could he call them and see if they can unlock it for him? He has been with them for 4+ years.

Edit: Will the maps work if I download the offline maps for Europe?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I do have a friend that is on T-Mobile. Even if he doesn't use it, could he call them and see if they can unlock it for him? He has been with them for 4+ years.

t-mobile should unlock the phone if your friend does it.

Here Maps are tied to what region you activate it in. Activate in north America that is what you get. I cannot get Europe maps. Activate in Europe you will not get north America. You can pay to upgrade to get access to maps outside your region.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
It is $20 to upgrade to the International maps. And your friend with T-Mobile can likely get a 521 locked for you (there is no guarantee, a lot depends on if he gets a decent CS agent), it is likely still cheaper (or at least the same) to buy a 520 and an unlock code. Of course, before buying the unlock code you might try calling AT&T, tell the CS agent your story, and see if they will unlock it for you.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the great info guys. About to pull the trigger except one clarification (I don't think it will matter)
If I buy the unlocked International version here
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8: Cell Phones & Accessories
which version of maps do I get? Once I put a SIM in Europe and activate it I would get those maps?

Don't think it really matters because for $100 (phone) + $20 (unlock code) + Europe maps ($20) it will still be cheaper ($140 vs $190)

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
unlocked International version here
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8: Cell Phones & Accessories

Don't think it really matters because for $100 (phone) + $20 (unlock code) + Europe maps ($20) it will still be cheaper ($140 vs $190)

That Unlocked International version is 179.99 , cheaper to go att 520 (locked) + Unlock Code + Map Upgrade route..The map upgrade would give you all Region across the world. Worth it if you travel a lot..

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Edit: Where is the Map Upgrade? Will it become available when I am in Holland or is it somewhere in the store?

I got my answer, thank you all very much!

That Unlocked International version is 179.99 , cheaper to go att 520 (locked) + Unlock Code + Map Upgrade route..The map upgrade would give you all Region across the world. Worth it if you travel a lot..

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, this is helpful.
Any specific sites that you would recommend PB_H? Seems like there are some shady looking ones lol
Looks like the 520 is the right route, because the 521 costs $80 for an unlock code while the 520 costs $20.

TM won't unlock a phone that isn't paid in full.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

WHERE do you buy a map upgrade ?

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
So I received my 520 and purchased an unlock code for $15. But it appears that I must put in a SIM card (not the AT&T one that came with it) for it to ask for an unlock code.
Does this sound correct?
If that is the case then I need to wait till I get to Holland to input the unlock code.
Or can I get my friends T-Mobile SIM, put it in, unlock it, and give him back the card?

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Good choice since Nokia 520 RM-915 variant has WCDMA band 2100 MHz so you can use 3G in The Netherlands. Nokia 521 RM-917 lacks this, so you would have get GSM only in Europe.

To unlock you can try to enter ##7820# - after some seconds you can enter the 20-digits code.

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The map region is locked to the region associated with the SIM that is in the phone when you start the HERE Drive app the first time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2