03-27-2014 09:51 AM
106 1234 ...
tools
    Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with them man. Hope you hear back soon!
    08-16-2013 02:32 PM
    I have an official T-Mobile 521. I can confirm that I am on the new Amber + GDR2 update via official OTA sent directly to my 521 yesterday.

I do NOT have Tap-to-Wake feature.

Why the 521 didn't get this yet the 520 did angers me. There is NO DIFFERENCE in screen and tap/touch input. Same processor, same RAM, same everything except of the 1700 band. And don't tell me the 1700 band keeps the 521 from accepting Tap-to-Wake!

No valid reason to strip away that feature. Or are we all missing something?
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    08-16-2013 04:55 PM
    maybe Nokia is going to release another update for the 521s soon. My phone also doesn't have double tap. I don't really care about it, but it is kind of strange the 520s got it, but not the 521s.
    08-16-2013 10:45 PM
    Does the 520 also have an LCD display, or is it OLED? Big difference in this feature's usability. I've already seen the effects of some poorly planned implementation of an LCD display in the 521 being used with Nokia's OLED-optimized mechanics. Biggest case-in-point is the "low battery" charging screen before booting. The display stays on but blacked out while the phone charges, and while waiting for the battery to charge past a certain threshold. Problem is, an LCD consumes more power while blacked out than while lit white - and an OLED screen does the opposite. An OLED screen would have no problem with this - it just shows some dimly-lit LED segments and consumes very little power. An LCD, however, would consume the same amount of power as if the whole screen was full-white with black text. In fact, that may be a good way to implement this "glance screen" on LCDs.

The "glance screen" would be pretty bad for battery life given the 521's LCD. If the 520 has an OLED display, that would explain why the 521 didn't get it. But if they both have LCDs, well... we've seen this kind of design fragmentation before, and there's absolutely no excuse for the feature to be missing in the 521.

(My glitchy, buggy 521 is getting that update right now... "Migrating your data (step 2 of 5) 14%" - now about an hour into the process, and I really don't have much data. zZz...)
    08-17-2013 02:10 AM
    Does the 520 also have an LCD display, or is it OLED? Big difference in this feature's usability. I've already seen the effects of some poorly planned implementation of an LCD display in the 521 being used with Nokia's OLED-optimized mechanics. Biggest case-in-point is the "low battery" charging screen before booting. The display stays on but blacked out while the phone charges, and while waiting for the battery to charge past a certain threshold. Problem is, an LCD consumes more power while blacked out than while lit white - and an OLED screen does the opposite. An OLED screen would have no problem with this - it just shows some dimly-lit LED segments and consumes very little power. An LCD, however, would consume the same amount of power as if the whole screen was full-white with black text. In fact, that may be a good way to implement this "glance screen" on LCDs.

The "glance screen" would be pretty bad for battery life given the 521's LCD. If the 520 has an OLED display, that would explain why the 521 didn't get it. But if they both have LCDs, well... we've seen this kind of design fragmentation before, and there's absolutely no excuse for the feature to be missing in the 521.

(My glitchy, buggy 521 is getting that update right now... "Migrating your data (step 2 of 5) 14%" - now about an hour into the process, and I really don't have much data. zZz...)
    IPS LCD. Both don't have ClearBlack.
    08-17-2013 02:23 AM
    Absolutely zero difference in screen. No legit reason why the 521 didn't get it since the 520 got it. :banghead:
    08-17-2013 03:55 AM
    Perhaps ATT got double tap because we got Wifi Calling? A sort of trade off?
    08-17-2013 12:02 PM
    I also have the Nokia 521 with the latest "amber" FW update 3046.0000.1328.2024. The flip phone-to-mute incoming call function works, but there is no way I can double tap on the screen to wake-up/unlock the phone. Also discovered that the following items are missing/not available:

1. Cannot download the Nokia Smart Camera app...said app is not applicable to this phone. Shouldn't the amber update allow the 521 to use the Nokia Smart app?
    Nokia Smart Cam | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

2. There is no storage check app available after the 521 amber update. My 520 has this app.

3. There is no incoming caller blacklist.

On the plus side, I was not able to iniate WiFi calling regardless of modem/router/ISP. This amber FW update fixed this problem. This FW update has also allowed me to "ring" and "track" my phone via windowsphone.com. The phone must have access to WiFi or data plan. Be sure to turn "on" Send Apps and Save Phone Location in FIND MY PHONE. Finally, turn "on" the phone's LOCATION to enable GPS tracking (don't need this to "ring" the phone).

TIA,
    F
    Last edited by Furballi; 08-17-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    08-17-2013 12:28 PM
    Perhaps ATT got double tap because we got Wifi Calling? A sort of trade off?
    If that's the case, I'm glad to be on the T-Mo side of that trade lol
    08-17-2013 12:52 PM
    I also have the Nokia 521 with the latest "amber" FW update 3046.0000.1328.2024. The flip phone-to-mute incoming call function works, but there is no way I can double tap on the screen to wake-up/unlock the phone. Also discovered that the following items are missing/not available:

1. Cannot download the Nokia Smart Camera app...said app is not applicable to this phone. Shouldn't the amber update allow the 521 to use the Nokia Smart app?
    Nokia Smart Cam | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

2. There is no storage check app available after the 521 amber update. My 520 has this app.

On the plus side, I was not able to iniate WiFi calling regardless of modem/router/ISP. This amber FW update fixed this problem. This FW update has also allowed me to "ring" and "track" my phone via windowsphone.com. The phone must have access to WiFi or data plan. Be sure to turn "on" Send Apps and Save Phone Location in FIND MY PHONE. Finally, turn "on" the phone's LOCATION to enable GPS tracking (don't need this to "ring" the phone).

TIA,
    F
    I'm hitting 2/3

I have the call/sms filter and storage check is still there after the update.
    08-17-2013 12:59 PM

2 - Under settings->storage check

3 - Most likely need to update Nokia System App Use this - SysApp Pusher

----

STill have not heard anything back yet or email from Nokia, perhaps we will see a display+touch update the enable the feature's. But double tap to wake is a feature that I can live without really. Just would be nice to have to it..
    08-17-2013 01:04 PM
    2 - Under settings->storage check

3 - Most likely need to update Nokia System App Use this - SysApp Pusher

----

STill have not heard anything back yet or email from Nokia, perhaps we will see a display+touch update the enable the feature's. But double tap to wake is a feature that I can live without really. Just would be nice to have to it..
    Thanks Corepc.

I went into Settings/System/Phone Storage/Phone (there is no STORAGE CHECK) to see a list of items like MUSIC+VIDEO, PICTURES, APPS, OTHER, SYSTEM, and FREE SPACE. Is this how 521 display the storage check? My 520 shows color pie chart.

Just installed SysApp Pusher. Which app do I need to update to obtain the incoming caller blacklist?
    08-17-2013 01:53 PM
    I'm hitting 2/3

I have the call/sms filter and storage check is still there after the update.
    Are you seeing a color pie chart with Storage Check? I have to go into Phone Storage/Phone in Settings to see MUSIC+VIDEO, PICTURES, APPS, OTHER, SYSTEM, and FREE SPACE. There is no break down of which apps, music, video, etc that are taking the most drive space.

Can you list the pathway on your phone to access the CALL/SMS filter? Did you have to install SysApp Pusher and another specific app to access CALL/SMS filter? I never see this option on the 521 when it came out of the box.

TIA,
    F
    08-17-2013 02:09 PM
    Thanks Corepc.

I went into Settings/System/Phone Storage/Phone (there is no STORAGE CHECK) to see a list of items like MUSIC+VIDEO, PICTURES, APPS, OTHER, SYSTEM, and FREE SPACE. Is this how 521 display the storage check? My 520 shows color pie chart.

Just installed SysApp Pusher. Which app do I need to update to obtain the incoming caller blacklist?
    Storage Check should be under settings toward the bottom if you do not have that then you should check for settings->phone updates once again. Has it came with GDR2

Call + SMS Blocking should also be under settings towards the bottom if not then update Extras+Info - just check for updates with sysapp for all the system ones listed and updated has needed.
    08-17-2013 02:18 PM
    Storage Check should be under settings toward the bottom if you do not have that then you should check for settings->phone updates once again. Has it came with GDR2

Call + SMS Blocking should also be under settings towards the bottom if not then update Extras+Info - just check for updates with sysapp for all the system ones listed and updated has needed.
    Doesn't Extras + Info also include Storage Check? Last I remembered, when I flashed the Wifi Calling update back in spring, Storage Check disappeared. However, after updating Extras + Info, it came back. Extras + Info also brings Calling + Text blacklist, so it sounds as if he just needs to update system apps.
    08-17-2013 03:05 PM

I installed Extra+Info per your guide and rebooted PC. Both of these items now appear at the bottom of the SETTINGS page. Thank you!

It appears that the new Nokia Smart Camera app for the amber updated 521 is still MIA.
    08-17-2013 03:21 PM
    Doesn't Extras + Info also include Storage Check? Last I remembered, when I flashed the Wifi Calling update back in spring, Storage Check disappeared. However, after updating Extras + Info, it came back. Extras + Info also brings Calling + Text blacklist, so it sounds as if he just needs to update system apps.
    You may be correct. My 521 came with WiFi calling (no Storage Check). The first 521 without WiFi calling was also not preloaded with Storage Check. I never updated Extra+Info till today. This latest amber update will not display Storage Check and Call+SMS Blocking unless one updates Extra+Info per Corepc's instruction.

This leaves two open issues...double tap to unlock and the amber supported Nokia Smart Camera app.
    08-17-2013 03:28 PM
    Yeah I don't have Smart Cam either yet. But judging from the reviews it looks like this is a widespread issue and not just specific to our device.
    08-17-2013 04:51 PM
    I really want Tap to Wake to take the wear and tear off the Power/Sleep button!

The thing already feels dodgy and after only 2 weeks is showing signs of wear! (Its not as clicky. Feels a bit mushy & sits lower in the case than the other buttons!)

I can see the Power button giving up the ghost in a few months of normal use! :eek:

I need Tap to Wake, dagnabit!! :(
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521
    08-17-2013 05:55 PM
    Yeah I don't have Smart Cam either yet. But judging from the reviews it looks like this is a widespread issue and not just specific to our device.
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...l920-gdr2.html
    Follow the instructions, substituting "RM-917_nam_usa_100" for "RM-821_eu_euro1_425". And after initiating download, disable the proxy in your phone's wifi settings.

ProTip (Pun intended): ProCam can ALSO be installed on the 521, oddly enough. It has a few hiccups (sometimes, after visiting the Settings screen, going back to the camera will fail to activate the camera, and will warrant a relaunch of the app), and it will tell you to close some apps before opening if too much is open in the background, but its overall a great camera app. It can even be set as default camera.

Perhaps the Display+Touch app has a fault in programming, since it supposedly would detect which device its installed on to display features, and the 521 being a variant, It may of not detected properly and thus doesn't display the setting? Just specuclation
    Last edited by Dustin Hodges; 08-17-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: bring back to topic
    saintforlife likes this.
    08-17-2013 06:15 PM
    No, there was no trade of double tap for WiFi calling. WiFi calling is a T-Mobile feature that they put on most of their phones, to provide people a method to use their phone in areas where the signal is poor. AT&T does not offer WiFi calling.
    08-17-2013 10:01 PM
    No, there was no trade of double tap for WiFi calling. WiFi calling is a T-Mobile feature that they put on most of their phones, to provide people a method to use their phone in areas where the signal is poor. AT&T does not offer WiFi calling.
    What I meant was ATT doesn't have WiFi calling, but they may of requested to Nokia that they withhold such a feature as double-tap-to-wake, making it exclusive to the 520, because they don't have WiFi calling.

I didn't mean trade off as in hardware. I meant trade off as "a feature for a feature". T-Mobile gets WiFi calling, so ATT tries to make their 520 more compelling with double tap to wake.

Its pure speculation and idea, and I doubt it that that's what happened, but it is still very possible, considering the situation with Nokia Phones here in the States.
    08-17-2013 10:32 PM
    I just don't see it. AT&T doesn't see WiFi calling as a benefit or they would offer it on their phones; instead they see their network as the real benefit, since they have far fewer "dead areas" than T-Mobile (which is again the reason that T-Mobile offers WiFi calling). Additionally, I don't think you'd see double tap as a feature on any T-Mobile Windows phone, not just the 521, if AT&T was "blocking" it, but I believe all the other T-Mobile Windows 8 phones have it.
    08-17-2013 11:01 PM
    I just don't see it. AT&T doesn't see WiFi calling as a benefit or they would offer it on their phones; instead they see their network as the real benefit, since they have far fewer "dead areas" than T-Mobile (which is again the reason that T-Mobile offers WiFi calling). Additionally, I don't think you'd see double tap as a feature on any T-Mobile Windows phone, not just the 521, if AT&T was "blocking" it, but I believe all the other T-Mobile Windows 8 phones have it.
    Well if Nokia ever gets back to CorePC, well know soon enough.
    08-18-2013 02:20 AM
    I wonder if it possible to spoof the 521 (using same method for getting pro cam etc) into a 520 and update display+touch wonder if that would work. Not going to try it, just a thought.

RM-915 VAR US ATT PAYG SL
    08-18-2013 08:17 AM
106 1234 ...