Double tap to wake?

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Storage Check should be under settings toward the bottom if you do not have that then you should check for settings->phone updates once again. Has it came with GDR2

Call + SMS Blocking should also be under settings towards the bottom if not then update Extras+Info - just check for updates with sysapp for all the system ones listed and updated has needed.

I installed Extra+Info per your guide and rebooted PC. Both of these items now appear at the bottom of the SETTINGS page. Thank you!

It appears that the new Nokia Smart Camera app for the amber updated 521 is still MIA.

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Extras + Info also include Storage Check? Last I remembered, when I flashed the Wifi Calling update back in spring, Storage Check disappeared. However, after updating Extras + Info, it came back. Extras + Info also brings Calling + Text blacklist, so it sounds as if he just needs to update system apps.

You may be correct. My 521 came with WiFi calling (no Storage Check). The first 521 without WiFi calling was also not preloaded with Storage Check. I never updated Extra+Info till today. This latest amber update will not display Storage Check and Call+SMS Blocking unless one updates Extra+Info per Corepc's instruction.

This leaves two open issues...double tap to unlock and the amber supported Nokia Smart Camera app.

BrandonCormier

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't have Smart Cam either yet. But judging from the reviews it looks like this is a widespread issue and not just specific to our device.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I really want Tap to Wake to take the wear and tear off the Power/Sleep button!

The thing already feels dodgy and after only 2 weeks is showing signs of wear! (Its not as clicky. Feels a bit mushy & sits lower in the case than the other buttons!)

I can see the Power button giving up the ghost in a few months of normal use! :eek:

I need Tap to Wake, dagnabit!! :(
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't have Smart Cam either yet. But judging from the reviews it looks like this is a widespread issue and not just specific to our device.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...kia-video-upload-video-trimmer-l920-gdr2.html
Follow the instructions, substituting "RM-917_nam_usa_100" for "RM-821_eu_euro1_425". And after initiating download, disable the proxy in your phone's wifi settings.

ProTip (Pun intended): ProCam can ALSO be installed on the 521, oddly enough. It has a few hiccups (sometimes, after visiting the Settings screen, going back to the camera will fail to activate the camera, and will warrant a relaunch of the app), and it will tell you to close some apps before opening if too much is open in the background, but its overall a great camera app. It can even be set as default camera.

Perhaps the Display+Touch app has a fault in programming, since it supposedly would detect which device its installed on to display features, and the 521 being a variant, It may of not detected properly and thus doesn't display the setting? Just specuclation

Last edited:

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
No, there was no trade of double tap for WiFi calling. WiFi calling is a T-Mobile feature that they put on most of their phones, to provide people a method to use their phone in areas where the signal is poor. AT&T does not offer WiFi calling.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
No, there was no trade of double tap for WiFi calling. WiFi calling is a T-Mobile feature that they put on most of their phones, to provide people a method to use their phone in areas where the signal is poor. AT&T does not offer WiFi calling.

What I meant was ATT doesn't have WiFi calling, but they may of requested to Nokia that they withhold such a feature as double-tap-to-wake, making it exclusive to the 520, because they don't have WiFi calling.

I didn't mean trade off as in hardware. I meant trade off as "a feature for a feature". T-Mobile gets WiFi calling, so ATT tries to make their 520 more compelling with double tap to wake.

Its pure speculation and idea, and I doubt it that that's what happened, but it is still very possible, considering the situation with Nokia Phones here in the States.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I just don't see it. AT&T doesn't see WiFi calling as a benefit or they would offer it on their phones; instead they see their network as the real benefit, since they have far fewer "dead areas" than T-Mobile (which is again the reason that T-Mobile offers WiFi calling). Additionally, I don't think you'd see double tap as a feature on any T-Mobile Windows phone, not just the 521, if AT&T was "blocking" it, but I believe all the other T-Mobile Windows 8 phones have it.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I just don't see it. AT&T doesn't see WiFi calling as a benefit or they would offer it on their phones; instead they see their network as the real benefit, since they have far fewer "dead areas" than T-Mobile (which is again the reason that T-Mobile offers WiFi calling). Additionally, I don't think you'd see double tap as a feature on any T-Mobile Windows phone, not just the 521, if AT&T was "blocking" it, but I believe all the other T-Mobile Windows 8 phones have it.

Well if Nokia ever gets back to CorePC, well know soon enough.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it possible to spoof the 521 (using same method for getting pro cam etc) into a 520 and update display+touch wonder if that would work. Not going to try it, just a thought.

RM-915 VAR US ATT PAYG SL

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if it possible to spoof the 521 (using same method for getting pro cam etc) into a 520 and update display+touch wonder if that would work. Not going to try it, just a thought.

I may give that a try. Off-topic question...If I backed up app list + settings to the cloud, then I how do I go about in restoring this data after a full system restore? Which parameters are not restored under this process?

TIA

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I may give that a try. Off-topic question...If I backed up app list + settings to the cloud, then I how do I go about in restoring this data after a full system restore? Which parameters are not restored under this process?

TIA

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

TIA

I actually tried, but i didn't have the PAYG SL part, so that may of made all the difference. haven't tried it with the one CorePC listed.

And when you first set up your phone, you sign into your Microsoft account and it will ask you if you would like to do a clean setup or a restore. Be warned that you must have a (decent) data connection, since Windows Phone, oddly, does not ask for a wifi access point during setup, and the restore has a potential to fail (if not at least take forever) on 2G.

What App List+Settings backs up is your device settings (theme, voice settings, basically most of the stuff listed in the settings app, minus those that are installed via Nokia apps {Access Point, Accessories, Display+Touch, etc...}), and the list of apps installed. Be warned, though, that the App List backup, upon restore, initiates a redownload through the Windows Store, so any apps that were taken down and are no longer published will not be restored. Also note that start screen arrangement is not backed up.

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually tried, but i didn't have the PAYG SL part, so that may of made all the difference. haven't tried it with the one CorePC listed.

And when you first set up your phone, you sign into your Microsoft account and it will ask you if you would like to do a clean setup or a restore. Be warned that you must have a (decent) data connection, since Windows Phone, oddly, does not ask for a wifi access point during setup, and the restore has a potential to fail (if not at least take forever) on 2G.

What App List+Settings backs up is your device settings (theme, voice settings, basically most of the stuff listed in the settings app, minus those that are installed via Nokia apps {Access Point, Accessories, Display+Touch, etc...}), and the list of apps installed. Be warned, though, that the App List backup, upon restore, initiates a redownload through the Windows Store, so any apps that were taken down and are no longer published will not be restored. Also note that start screen arrangement is not backed up.

Great info. Thank you!

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Pretty disappointed this is not working. I have it on my Gnex and love that feature. It's an app that makes it work for that phone. Hopefully they figure it out for out 521s.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Based on the 520 having "Some" for Double-tap-to-wake, Im starting to have a feeling my silly idea of ATT requesting double-tap &/or requesting it be kept from the 521 may of not been as silly as it appeared. Does anyone know if any non-ATT 520's got Double-Tap-To-Wake?

Probably never get a straight answer from AT&T, T-Mo and especially Nokia on this one.

If it's true, what would be the point of denying 521 owners from this feature? It's a nice little gimmick feature but it's not as though it gives the 520 some sort of performance superiority over the 521 lol

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't put a lot of stock in that chart. The problem is, other than the AT&T 520, I don't believe GDR2/Amber has been released for any other 520s. They originally claimed that no 520s would have the double tap option, despite the fact the feature was already being shipped on the AT&T 520s that had GDR2 preinstalled. It looks like they merely updated the chart based on the fact that the 520s that currently have the update (AT&T 520s) all have the double tap to wake, since that was making them look foolish, and they aren't yet ready concede their information was wrong.

I think we need to wait for the updates for 520s to be officially be released. My personal guess is that all the 520s will have the feature. It just doesn't make sense that only AT&T 520s would have the double tap feature, out of all the 520s in the world, particularly if they were simply getting it because T-Mobile has WiFi calling on the 521.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't put a lot of stock in that chart. The problem is, other than the AT&T 520, I don't believe GDR2/Amber has been released for any other 520s. They originally claimed that no 520s would have the double tap option, despite the fact the feature was already being shipped on the AT&T 520s that had GDR2 preinstalled. It looks like they merely updated the chart based on the fact that the 520s that currently have the update (AT&T 520s) all have the double tap to wake, since that was making them look foolish, and they aren't yet ready concede their information was wrong.

I think we need to wait for the updates for 520s to be officially be released. My personal guess is that all the 520s will have the feature. It just doesn't make sense that only AT&T 520s would have the double tap feature, out of all the 520s in the world, particularly if they were simply getting it because T-Mobile has WiFi calling on the 521.

At first glance, it doesnt make sense, but if you think about (or at least if i think about it) alot of people were intrigued about the wifi calling and used it in weighing which phone to get. Att could of, if not blocked it, requested the feature be added (as in neither the 520 or 521 would have it, but ATT requested the feature for their model.), in a way to attract customers.

However, as you stated, we wont know till GDr2 is sent to the rest of the world's 520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs