Double tap to wake?

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
My speaker phone seems to work fine. I'll have to look for your other thread.

I remember that one! I also thought that I don't seem to have the problems you do when it comes to the speaker and microphone. I have had the same problems when my 2 android phones were calling each other to check out functions and such. Must be along the same lines. So it's not just the 521. I think it's any cell phone will kick back feedback when used so close to each other.

Last edited:

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Spoke with a Nokia Level II tech support yesterday who confirmed that the Nokia 520 and 521 will not be receiving the double-tap-to-wake menu. Reason being that internal evaluation by Nokia showed unfavorable performance of the double-tap-to-wake function. There is no hardware limitation.

When asked why the double-tap-to-wake menu was available for the AT&T 520 phone, I received a vague explanation that perhaps AT&T had requested such feature on their 520 phones. I digged deeper by inquiring why the double-tap-to-wake function was not disabled by default, so that the end user can have a choice of turning this function ON, even with the less-than-ideal performance. There was no explanation.

Since Microsoft has paid Nokia a lot of money to promote Windows Phone 8, we should elevate the DTTW issue to Microsoft on the basis that current Windows Phone 8 users are not receiving their fair share of hardware performance from these Nokia 520s/521s. Nokia has provided a very poor explanation as to why the DTTW function was omitted from many 520s and all 521s. Note that DTTW can be disabled by the user, so there is no logical explanation why it should be left out of the amber update.

We should also contact T Mobile to push Nokia to add the DTTW function to the 521...to level the playing field with the AT&T 520. The 521 costs more than the 520 in the US. Therefore, it should have the same features as its cheaper 520 cousin.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Spoke with a Nokia Level II tech support yesterday who confirmed that the Nokia 520 and 521 will not be receiving the double-tap-to-wake menu. Reason being that internal evaluation by Nokia showed unfavorable performance of the double-tap-to-wake function. There is no hardware limitation.

When asked why the double-tap-to-wake menu was available for the AT&T 520 phone, I received a vague explanation that perhaps AT&T had requested such feature on their 520 phones. I digged deeper by inquiring why the double-tap-to-wake function was not disabled by default, so that the end user can have a choice of turning this function ON, even with the less-than-ideal performance. There was no explanation.

Since Microsoft has paid Nokia a lot of money to promote Windows Phone 8, we should elevate the DTTW issue to Microsoft on the basis that current Windows Phone 8 users are not receiving their fair share of hardware performance from these Nokia 520s/521s. Nokia has provided a very poor explanation as to why the DTTW function was omitted from many 520s and all 521s. Note that DTTW can be disabled by the user, so there is no logical explanation why it should be left out of the amber update.

We should also contact T Mobile to push Nokia to add the DTTW function to the 521...to level the playing field with the AT&T 520. The 521 costs more than the 520 in the US. Therefore, it should have the same features as its cheaper 520 cousin.

i agreed, i myself experience the DTTW on Lumia 625 prototype and it works like a charm without any laggy. I don't know why they said the reason belongs to 'hardware limitation' *lol*

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

•A: I knew it. I knew it. So ATT DID request dttw.
•B: Microsoft & Nokia are trying to get new customers, and if someone that's not used to the platform's device doesn't play well with the feature, they are sure to complain. Basically its a pr move where its better to omit a feature, even if its disableable, to avoid loss of users, however minor, than to include the feature and have some ***** create a very loud, vocal outcry due to a occasional fail to cause the loss of a few users. At least this is my take on it.
•C: I doubt Microsoft could do anything. Just look at the update situation. They STILL can't push updates directly (due to only half valid reasons of "device testing"). Its doubtful they could get the dttw feature pushed to the 521
•D: True, but I'm afraid people could overdo it if done improperly, and essentially annoy T-Mobile. Not to mention, it actually has more than the 520 (such as WiFi calling, and an additional light sensor for improved low light imaging, not to mention additional cell frequency support), and dttw is really more of a trivial feature honestly. A convenience or a toy, if you will. I'm not really worried. Its very possible that the 520's dttw may have the possibility to not even work sometimes, which is something I could see being found in internal testing, so if Nokia says they omitted it with good reason, I don't think their just making excuses.

still wish Nokia would push devices to all carriers and drop the variant nonsense.

Wow.... It censored i d i o t....

dxmemxpac

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got an update this morning for my Lumia 521 to "touch" under settings this morning - the "Double Tap to Wake" feature now appears, then immediately disappears. Anyone else notice this?

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I just got an update this morning for my Lumia 521 to "touch" under settings this morning - the "Double Tap to Wake" feature now appears, then immediately disappears. Anyone else notice this?

No notification on mine yet, but that teaser is making me tingle lol.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I will wait to update, waiting to if see a new firmware comes along soon to enable the option and fix some issue. That I am seeing since gdr2/amber ( lockscreen not responding correctly just lock's sometime have to hit power button to get it to respond, which could be related to lockscreen->photo->background ones below solid colors do not properly half the time)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I just put my 521 back in service today (I switch phones a fair bit) and there is/was no update and I can't replicate the here-then-gone Tap to Wake option shown in the screencap. :(

I'd sure like this option. IMHO, it would pair nicely with having the phone in a cradle when using it for Nav.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I just put my 521 back in service today (I switch phones a fair bit) and there is/was no update and I can't replicate the here-then-gone Tap to Wake option shown in the screencap. :(

If you do not have gdr2/amber installed then you will not get the update that show the features (which is still disabled via firmware). T-Mobile/Nokia paused the gdr2/amber updates read this.

If you do have gdr2/amber installed then install sysapp pusher and manually update your system apps. But the feature is still disabled because it is not activated via firmware.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you do not have gdr2/amber installed then you will not get the update that show the features (which is still disabled via firmware). T-Mobile/Nokia paused the gdr2/amber updates read this.

If you do have gdr2/amber installed then install sysapp pusher and manually update your system apps. But the feature is still disabled because it is not activated via firmware.

I did see the suspension of the update (which I'd already installed).

I forgot about sysapp pusher. Just used it. It turned Display + Touch into 2 categories under Settings: one named Display and one named Touch. Interesting. After a reboot I now see Tap to Wake as a here then gone glimpse. The description on Touch does say "sensitivity, wake and Windows key" so there should be something coming.... Maybe...

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Smart Cam worked on my 521 before the update.

That is because it came preinstalled with gdr2/amber was released out to the 521, the update that was released the other day was for all nokia devices running gdr2/amber. Smart Shoot is the older version that does not require gdr2/amber.

Updated my phone last night and now updated the settings and stuff, still no touch to wake up feauture ugh

Have you even read the thread or what was posted above, double tap to wake has not been activated yet on 521. Has to be activated by firmware update. And not sure if we are going to even get it because of battery problem it could have. Perhaps when gdr3/bittersweet is released we may see it..Once again it is a feature that we could live without.

BrandonCormier

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
So SysAppPusher got updated with a link to glance screen and so I clicked on the store link. Surprising it allowed me to install it on my phone. Doesn't work though. Anybody know how to get rid of it haha? Its in settings now so I can't uninstall.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
So SysAppPusher got updated with a link to glance screen and so I clicked on the store link. Surprising it allowed me to install

Anybody know how to get rid of it haha? Its in settings now so I can't uninstall.

Yeah same here I have the option to install has well but not going too.

Once it is installed in the system you can't uninstall it, only way to get rid of it is a hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss