What is your 521 battery life? (Post GDR2)

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
SO what is your battery life?

Mine looks to be a drain of 4% every hour or so... Wondering if that is the norm.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
According to my battery app, I normally run about 8%/hr. I tend to put my screen on bright a lot and don't let it automatically dim though. I also mostly use WiFi.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I have both the cellular radio and wifi on at the same time :S I do it because I guess the phone cant recieve MMS when the radio is off?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
About the same for me - I can go about 8 hours under Heavy Internet Usage (Internet Sharing to PC), today it been light - right now 75% been on for 10 hours. 4g connection (email has item arrive, wpcentral only things running in background)

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Unless you have WiFi calling on, you can't get phone calls with the cellular radio off. If you do have WiFi calling on, you can't receive MMS (from what I recall of Gen3 WiFi calling on T-Mobile).

jagu

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
updated my Lumia 521 for T-Mobile on Aug 15th and although the update made things faster and brought some cool features like call blocking the phone is practically useless now. It dies in like 4 hours no matter if i use or if its in idle it dies within like 6 hours or so. I already have charged the phone 3 or 4 times now already and its on the 5th time. I know the battery cycle needs to get used to it but damn i never expected it to be this bad!

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a 520 (AT&T) with the Amber update and GDR2. Although I realize that it's not a 521, but it likely has very similar performance. I have 4G data, wifi on, bluetooth on, medium setting on screen brightness, double tap to wake and my battery drain on standby is about 2%/hr. I don't do a lot of heavy activity such as gaming, youtube or websurfing.

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
A brick. Something to the tune of 25% drop per hour in standby. Yes, this is actually happening.

Here's the full writeup. I've already got a warranty replacement on the way for issues before the GDR2 update last night (which that update seems to have resolved), that even survived a hard reset.

Attached are the droolworthy screenshots from Battery Sense.

wp_ss_20130817_0002.png wp_ss_20130818_0001.png

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, things have definitely improved today, pretty much back to normal, after doing another hard reset post-update.

wp_ss_20130819_0001.png wp_ss_20130819_0002.png

Now, though, I still have a problem with the phone coming unlocked in my pocket, doing all sorts of un-cool things while it should be asleep. At least three times today, I've pulled out my phone to find it unlocked, and several levels deep into a series of searches, messages, and settings pages! I found that I can bypass the lock screen by briefly holding the search button, which is a problem if the phone wakes up due to a plug/unplug event - in my pocket, charging, sometimes waking up due to thinking the cable was plugged or unplugged. It comes unlocked way too easily.

But other than that, at least it's back to "normal" again...

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My battery life? Crappy and crappier.

I really hate the way Nokia put that wimpy, skinny-*** battery in and stuck a cushion sticker on there to take up space for the larger battery that was supposed to be in there just to save themselves a few pennies. :rolleyes:
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My battery life? Crappy and crappier.

I really hate the way Nokia put that wimpy, skinny-*** battery in and stuck a cushion sticker on there to take up space for the larger battery that was supposed to be in there just to save themselves a few pennies. :rolleyes:
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521
That's because there isn't a BL-6J. Well, at least you can buy backups, like what I've been doing. In my case, "borrowing" from my parents, with their Asha 200s.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
That's because there isn't a BL-6J. Well, at least you can buy backups, like what I've been doing. In my case, "borrowing" from my parents, with their Asha 200s.

Brings me to a question... Where does one get a legit battery for the 521? I see the cheap ones all the time but no OEM ones.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Brings me to a question... Where does one get a legit battery for the 521? I see the cheap ones all the time but no OEM ones.
In my case, I can just walk to a nearby Nokia Store, but you're out of luck.

As far as I know, there are some on Amazon and Ebay, as well as on Expansys.

kmoc777

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Updated 3 521's since the update was released (mine, my wife's and daughter's). The battery life on 2 is much better since the update. I don't have the stats, but prior to the update, my phone would be in the 30 - 40% range when I got home from work. Yesterday, it was at 77% at the same time of day and having used the phone in a "typical" fashion. My wife reports her battery life has also improved dramatically since the update. I have not inquired as to my daughter's phone, but she has not reported any negatives since the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes