The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-01-2014 05:30 PM
60 123
tools
    The trick is, you don't need MetroPCS to "transfer" the phone. What you need is a MetroPCS SIM card and to activate it, you can then put that into your Lumia 521 and it should work without issue. It looks like to get a MetroPCS SIM card, you need to get one from a local store. I think they'll care more about you starting a new MetroPCS plan than about your phone, they likely won't even ask as long as the SIM works.
    I've never done anything like this. Until recently, all my phones have been provided by work and were always a Blackberry. So excuse me if I'm asking something that should be obvious. I just want to make sure I understand before I do something wrong and end up with a $120 paperweight. MetroPCS can't make a T-Mobile phone a MetroPCS phone which is what they think I'm asking them when I ask if I can transfer, but, if I buy a No Contract T-Mobile GSM Lumia 521 there is nothing about the phone that would stop me from removing the T-Mobile SIM card and replacing it with a Metro PCS SIM card, making the phone usable on the Metro PCS GSM network (with paid Metro PCS service). I don't have to 'jailbreak' the phone or do anything to it except swap out the SIM. Is that correct? and, the swap doesn't require any warranty-ending action, its just like replacing a memory card?
    08-19-2013 05:53 PM
    Why not just pay the extra and go with t-mobile itself. You could avoid the problem of it not working( I know it will work for sure if unlocked) . having to pay for a metro sim(nearly all the 521 comes with sim). Service is the same just 10 more per plan.
    08-19-2013 07:09 PM
    The trick is, you don't need MetroPCS to "transfer" the phone. What you need is a MetroPCS SIM card and to activate it, you can then put that into your Lumia 521 and it should work without issue. It looks like to get a MetroPCS SIM card, you need to get one from a local store. I think they'll care more about you starting a new MetroPCS plan than about your phone, they likely won't even ask as long as the SIM works.
    They actually have to check if the phone's ESN is valid to activate. They would then put the SIM to see if you get service. You also have to pay a month's service in advance. You can try to use a MetroPCS SIM first to test if one does get service, more than likely an employee has a BYOD phone or SIM for testing if a phone is unlocked.
    08-19-2013 07:12 PM
    I also live in the Los Angeles area, and I see the 521 up for sale for $100. It may not be in stores for a few days, but they're coming. Try calling local dealers, especially if you get to know one in person. Having a good connection with one allows for a lot better service.
    Quick edit: here's the link http://www.metropcs.com/metro/detail...2#.UhK1dz-nc-E
    08-19-2013 07:16 PM
    If they make it too difficult, just sign-up with some other T-Mobile MVNO. I'm sure that many of them do not require unlocking!

Lycamobile requires an unlocked phone. Even though it's considered a T-Mobile MVNO, their service will not work with a phone locked to any carrier, including T-Mobile.
    08-19-2013 07:44 PM
    Why not just pay the extra and go with t-mobile itself. You could avoid the problem of it not working( I know it will work for sure if unlocked) . having to pay for a metro sim(nearly all the 521 comes with sim). Service is the same just 10 more per plan.
    The point of all of this is to save money and add some extra stability to my budget. I have T-Mobile now with a blackberry so I can just stay where I am. If I'm unable to switch to Metro PCS there is no point in changing phones or plans. My plan right now has limited minutes which sometimes lead to overages. I would avoid this at a lower cost per month, plus justify the expense of the new phone with the Metro plan. The new phone would be nice to have as I've returned to college and the blackberry is almost useless in this environment compared to the functionality of the lumia. Still, budget wins out over convenience. That's why I'm spending any time at all trying to make this happen.
    08-20-2013 01:12 AM
    I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting a clear response. When my phone arrived from HSN I didn't make any changes to it. I went to the store and told them I was just going to be doing a device change with the BYOD program(Bring Your Own Device). I already had service with them. The store rep asked if the phone was unlocked and I said yes it was because I automatically assumed it was unlocked.
    klester22 likes this.
    08-20-2013 02:29 AM
    The point of all of this is to save money and add some extra stability to my budget.
    I think you are overly concerned. Just buy the phone, then walk into a few MetroPCS stores to activate it. If, every single store gives you a hard time, go home and start calling the MVNOs I listed before. There's no way all of them will demand an unlocked phone. Another thing, you can find unlock codes for most Lumias online....Selling for $5-10. I've seen people selling unlock codes on eBay as well.

So, at the worst scenario, you can unlock your phone for cheap and go to MetroPCS. But do check out the other MVNOs.
    08-20-2013 04:33 AM
    If you haven't bought the phone yet, why not just buy it for $99 from the MetroPCS website? It looks like you don't even need to add a plan for the phone.
    08-20-2013 11:56 AM
    If you haven't bought the phone yet, why not just buy it for $99 from the MetroPCS website? It looks like you don't even need to add a plan for the phone.
    Nice find! That's the cheapest 521 I've seen in a while.
    08-20-2013 12:16 PM
    A thing that occurred to me is, does that 521 ship with GDR2? Also, how likely is MetroPCS to keep its 521 updated?
    08-20-2013 01:18 PM
    I'm fairly sure that there is no difference in the T-Mobile and MetroPCS 521s, even down to the software version. Looking at the upgrade availabilty page on Nokia's website seems to confirm that, it does not show a MetroPCS version of the 521. I believe all the GSM phones will be T-Mobile versions, with the software updates being handled by T-Mobile, as well, particularly in the short term. It will prevent having to have duplicate departments in both companies, and also take some stress of MetroPCS as they will need to continue to support CDMA phones for the next couple of years.
    Last edited by mogelijk; 08-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    08-20-2013 01:33 PM
    I'm fairly sure that there is no difference in the T-Mobile and MetroPCS 521s, even down to the software version.
    According to the picture on MetroPCS website, their 521 does not have any logo! Neat!
    08-20-2013 01:47 PM
    According to the picture on MetroPCS website, their 521 does not have any logo! Neat!
    My T-Mobile 521 purchased last month from HSN does not have any logos either!
    08-20-2013 07:14 PM
    After spending sometime at the MetroPCS website, reading about their service, I noticed something interesting. Their Unlimited $40 is the same as T-Mobile's Unlimited $50 one. The difference -- and it might be due to semantics -- is in the fact that, after the first 500Mb, T-Mobile will throttle you down to EDGE speeds, whereas MetroPCS says they will only throttle you down to 3G speeds.

Well, technically, EDGE is 2.75G, while HSPA is 3G. I wonder if MetroPCS is purposely fuzzing this issue.... There's a pretty big difference between EDGE and 3G.
    Last edited by WPhoney; 08-21-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    08-21-2013 03:00 AM
    I have requested unlock code from T-Mobile (I am still their post-paid customer). But I can try Lycamobile SIM card in my HSN bought no T-Mo logo Nokia 521 and see what happens.
    08-21-2013 09:08 AM
    Wow! this is great. I searched for the Metro PCS lumia 521 3 or 4 days ago and it wasn't available. Thank you so much! Problem solved. I really, really appreciate everyone's great input.
    08-21-2013 12:32 PM
    Well, my HSN bought 521 actually has T-Mobile logo. It is locked and does not accept Lycamobile SIM card.
    08-21-2013 09:28 PM
    No, a locked T-Mobile phone cannot use a Lycamobile SIM, though it should take most other T-Mobile MVNO's. Lycamobile, despite being a T-Mobile MVNO, shows that it is roaming on T-Mobile's network. Though it does make for an easy way to turn off data on Lycamobile, you just need to turn off data roaming.
    08-21-2013 09:55 PM
    klester22,
    the Nokia lumia 521 is now on Metopcs's website as a phone we can now purchase and get in 2 days !!!!!
    just ordered 2, they will be here on Monday...
    08-22-2013 06:28 PM

Yep that's correct. If you don't have service with metro then you might have to pay an activation fee plus your first month phone bill. The phone doesn't have to be unlocked because it comes unlocked. I bought my 521 from HSN and just took it in for a sim card.
    The phone doesn't comes unlock.You are able to use it because Metro and T mobile are now like one.They use the same frequency bands and since Tmobile in the future is going to eliminate cdma on Metro they have been fixing the network since now. I'm more than sure that if you take the Tmo Lumia 521 to AT&T that is also GSM it won't work until you unlock the phone. Also mayority of phones that are LTE are also GSM. Besides activating the cdma with the carrier they need a separate GSM SIM to make the LTE work. Example of this is the Lumia 928 on Verizon which is a cdma carrier.That phone like all Verizon phones comes unlock and if you put a Tmobile or AT&T SIM where the LTE SIM goes, they work on those networks. LTE is a GSM technology.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

The phone working on Metro doesn't have nothing to do if is pre paid and you can buy it off contract or not. AT&T Lumia 520 is prepaid and you can't use it on Tmobile unless you unlock it
    08-22-2013 07:21 PM
    AFAIK the 521 sold by MetroPCS only accepts MetroPCS SIMS, but none from T-Mobile since its locked to a specific range of IMSI.

I don't know if there is a possibility to get it unlocked since I can't find such an information on their website.
    Last edited by alexloe; 08-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    08-24-2013 05:41 AM
    AFAIK the 521 sold by MetroPCS only accepts MetroPCS SIMS, but none from T-Mobile since its locked to a specific range of IMSI.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    08-24-2013 06:59 AM

I don't know if there is a possibility to get it unlocked since I can't find such an information on their website.
    Where did you hear this. AFAIK, the 521 on MetroPCS was the same as T-Mobile's? Not to mention, the MetroPCs GSM phones im pretty sure run on T-mobile's network, because they were part of the result of the Merger/Buy-out, and metropcs gsm phones are only sold in certain areas.

Has anyone tried a metropcs 521 with tmobile sim?
    08-24-2013 05:52 PM
    Just download the MetroPCS Firmware files RM-917 Product Code 059T039
    There is a file NWP8_WP8_MetroPCS_simlock_crc1EAA.bin
    Open this file in a hex editor and you will see, that the phone is locked to SIMs with IMSI range 31026 (T-Mobile use this, too) but as an addition the GID1 field of the SIM allowed must match a specific value (6D), too.
    08-25-2013 06:47 AM
60 123