METROPCS Hold up !!!!!

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
What is going on with this 521 on MetroPCS ?
they have taken down the link of the phone on their website, everytime I talk to a metropcs rep they have no knowledge about a Nokia Lumia 521 for Metropcs
there is a link on BestBuy for the phone
MetroPCS - Nokia Lumia 521 4G No-Contract Mobile Phone - White - 610214633262-R

with in store pick up but no stores have the phone in STOCK!!!!, I can't even buy the 521 at wall mart because its locked to TMobile...
My Niece and Mother Inlaw have MetroPCS and HATE there android phone and want to get a new phone, I have been telling them wait... one is coming for you
the date that it was soposta be released had come and gone and now they are both at the point to get another Android if they don't see something soon....
PLEASE help me get them a 521 for MetroPCS....
Does anyone in the forums have a MetroPCS 521 ?
anyone know where I can get one ? and why is it not available yet ?

I was going to give her my old lumia 900 but they said its not supported as a unlocked phone for metropcs but the 920, 610 and a 910 that I had never heard of is supported.
I think its bull crap if you tell me, I think the 900 will work but they so want her to buy another android.
Help...

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Wait, can't a T-Mobile 521 work with a MetroPCS SIM?? Double check but I believe it does.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Metropcs will only except unlocked phones and from what I'm hearing is the phone sees the metropcs sim as another carrier other than mobile so it would need to be unlocked
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Metropcs will only except unlocked phones and from what I'm hearing is the phone sees the metropcs sim as another carrier other than mobile so it would need to be unlocked

True, but the 521 accepts T-Mobile SIMS, and if im not mistaken, MetroPCS SIMS should work, since its T-Mobile owned, and the 521 accepts T-Mobile MVNO SIMS already without unlock.

Ill google (or bing) it to see if I get anywhere on checking if im correct.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I show the MetroPCS L521 is in stock in Houston. I'm wondering if only the new MetroPCS areas (areas which are GSM only) have the phone available. I wouldn't be surprised if the older MetroPCS cities, where they have their CDMA network, are wanting to sell off their CDMA phones before selling GSM phones in those cities.

I'll agree with others, since the T-Mobile 521 will work on T-Mobile MVNOs, a MetroPCS SIM card should work in a T-Mobile 521. The one caveat -- it needs to be a SIM for the MetroPCS GSM (T-Mobile) network, not a SIM for the CDMA LTE phones (pre-merger MetroPCS network).

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I'm going to WalMart and picking up a 521 and see if it will work with a metropcs phone.
Now I have never used metropcs so they will just sell me a SIM alone ?

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
If MetroPCS is in your area, you can get one of their GSM SIM cards, it is just that in some areas they also cell CDMA phones (based off the original MetroPCS network). The MetroPCS CDMA network appears as if it will be shut down in 2015. The GSM Sims are because of the T-Mobile merger and, anywhere that MetroPCS operates, you will be able to get service that is basically the same as T-Mobile's Prepaid. The difference, from what I can see, is that MetroPCS does not offer a $30 plan and that their other plans (unlimited talk and data with either .5 GB, 2.5 GB, or unlimited data) are $10 cheaper than equivalent T-Mobile plan.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
If MetroPCS is in your area, you can get one of their GSM SIM cards, it is just that in some areas they also cell CDMA phones (based off the original MetroPCS network). The MetroPCS CDMA network appears as if it will be shut down in 2015. The GSM Sims are because of the T-Mobile merger and, anywhere that MetroPCS operates, you will be able to get service that is basically the same as T-Mobile's Prepaid. The difference, from what I can see, is that MetroPCS does not offer a $30 plan and that their other plans (unlimited talk and data with either .5 GB, 2.5 GB, or unlimited data) are $10 cheaper than equivalent T-Mobile plan.

Unlimited data with limited data? Did you perhaps mean text?

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Good catch, yes, is supposed to be unlimited talk and text, with the three different data options. Though, technically all of them are unlimited data, just that they are throttled after .5 or 2.5 GB (like on T-Mobile).

camille rodney

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It's actually a reverse merger...T Mobile does not own MetroPCS..they are merged together. You can take the t mobile's lumia 521 to metro. I did this on Thursday and the device works perfectly fine. I already had service with metropcs so I only had to pay for my sim card and they popped it right into my device. Its been three days and I have no interruptions. I basically have tmobile service but i'm paying metro pcs price plan. unlimited talk and text plus my mobile hot spot.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, T-Mobile did buy MetroPCS but MetroPCS will continue to exist as a separate brand -- even though it appears they will share T-Mobile's phones and network.

camille rodney

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I thought that it would work has well. You did not have to unlock the phone correct. Just pop in the sim correct.

Yep that's correct. If you don't have service with metro then you might have to pay an activation fee plus your first month phone bill. The phone doesn't have to be unlocked because it comes unlocked. I bought my 521 from HSN and just took it in for a sim card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99