Apps don't work through data.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I have straight talk. The data is working. It can load websites, check the weather. For example weather flow checks for the weather. But most apps don't work on the data connection. I don't know why. I got the mms and internet apn setup.

These are the apps that don't work or have not found to be working without a WiFi connection.

Tell me MS service ( when searching the internet )
Xbox live updates ( meaning updating achievements )
Store - can't download apps.
Outlook - can't retrieve email.
Here maps - can't locate or load maps.
YouTube doesn't work.
WPcentral doesn't load anything.
Some games like Texas holdem poker don't work either.

But all websites load.

Thanks in advance.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
How many apps do you have running in background?

I gave up straight talk because of data issues in general. Somedays it would work fine, somedays it would not. Since switching to t-mobile not one signal data issue at all even at 2g speeds. Only lost data connection once due to network issue.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
5 apps. asphalt 7 heat, extras + info, weather flow, wpcentral and runtastic. I know 5 apps can't be the problem and I don't have a problem with the web pages loading slowly. They load fast.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Extra and info is a background service for me. Not sure why. Asphalt 7 I always turn off. Wpcentral no problems. Runtastic I do not have.

Have you powered on and off, tried turning cellular on and off.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
APN are setup correct right under Access Point, and under Cellular What Network is selected ?

Have you tried a soft reset yet holding down the volume down key and the power button. Keep holding until the phone reboots

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I think I see the problem. According to Straight Talk's BYOD Settings Page for TMobile Phones, the proxy address (for data and mms) and port (for mms, not data) is supposed to be blank for smart phones, while yours has "wap.tracfone" and "8080".

FieldSmartphoneOther Phones
APN Namestraight talkstraight talk
APNwap.tracfonewap.tracfone
proxyLeave Blank216.155.165.40
Port80808080
MMSChttp://mms.tracfone.comhttp://mms.tracfone.com
MMS ProxyLeave Blank216.155.165.40
MMS PortLeave Blank8080

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
wp_ss_20130822_0003.pngwp_ss_20130822_0004.png

This is what happens when I try to delete the fields your talking about. I tried to leave them blank before but the phone wouldn't allow me too. The check mark at the bottom becomes grayed out and it tells me I have to put something for the high lighted fields. I tried to put the word " blank " and 8080 but them the internet through IE stops.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Try the alternate apn settings and see if that make a difference

Name
straight talk

APN
wap.tracfone

Proxy

Port

MMSC
http://mms.tracfone.com

MMS Proxy

MMS Port

Thank you these settings have worked. I called ST and apparently the straight talk network does not recognize the Lumia 521 as a smartphone. In any case. Thanks for the settings. So far the email works which is the main thing really.

blegs38552

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
'lI have a similar problem. Battery app sbows Wifi as turned off even though settings show wifi as turned on. Also, PC Remote app shows wiii as turned off when I try to connect to a computer on my network. This problem appears to have started ater my upgrade to GDR_2.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
'lI have a similar problem. Battery app sbows Wifi as turned off even though settings show wifi as turned on. Also, PC Remote app shows wiii as turned off when I try to connect to a computer on my network. This problem appears to have started ater my upgrade to GDR_2.

Sounds like you have different issues.

I do not use PC Remote, Try out SplashTop Streamer (grab it while it free) nice Pc remote app.

Battery App's I just recently started using Insider

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you these settings have worked. I called ST and apparently the straight talk network does not recognize the Lumia 521 as a smartphone. In any case. Thanks for the settings. So far the email works which is the main thing really.

Glad those worked, some people have problem with getting Windows Phone to work on Net10/StraightTalk since they switched to using T-Mobile, but, they are selling at&t sim once again.
Still no switching, I like my pc tethering.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I didn't get that update yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720