521 OEM Back cover

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Walked in to the T-Mobile in Chicago on LaSalle St, to find a case for my phone after dropping it and denting the back cover.

I got the tech21 case, well worth the 32 I spent.

After talking to the T-Mobile Rep, he said that if you have a defective back cover, you can go into anystore with it in stock and switch it for free.

He didnt have any, neither did another nearby store.

Has anyone else had this happen to them ? I'm looking for the OEM back cover, I would like to get it for free if possible.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
It looks like ebay has the back covers for sale, though they want $18 for it. I was hoping it would be like the 520, where you can buy replacement back for $9 (with shipping), and have a choice of 5 colors. I've thought it would be fun to be able to change the color of my phone, depending on my mood (and what I'm doing) that day.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I came across a back case for $11 but not sure where it was. It too bad that T-Mobile did not order replacement back covers in multiple colors like red, black, blue! They have only white. I try to find one in the EU but they are not sold there only in the U.S. it seems.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I came across a back case for $11 but not sure where it was. It too bad that T-Mobile did not order replacement back covers in multiple colors like red, black, blue! They have only white. I try to find one in the EU but they are not sold there only in the U.S. it seems.

Retail for the 521 is $149. T-Mobile and AT&T are using the 5 series as a way to build Window Phone users. Look at the way it is price in the EU - it more then $149; closer to $200!

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Plastidip my friend ;).

Just looked up what "plastidip" is. Thank you marc! A perfect solution. Lots of you tube vids so check it out. I dropped my phone a couple weeks ago. It was in a folio type case but the corner on the exposed end hit. Was afraid to look at the screen but when I opened it up it was fine. Relieved, I saw that the corner was bashed and the plastic was soft enough to dent slightly. Even the plastic black edge of the phone itself with the cover off was smushed a little. But I guess that softness absorbed the impact and avoided the possibility of a shattered screen. The plastidip will recoat the smush of the white cover and put a little dazzle of color to the phone. Love the blaze neon colors. Will have to find them! :)

Wild Bill Kelso

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Might want be careful with the "plastidip". The phone's buttons and little metal clips that hold the buttons in place seem pretty delicate and it's possible using plastidip might foul those up. Just saying, be careful...

I used Rit Dye on the back cover of my 521. It definitely works, but the color, well, didn't exactly come out to be the Navy Blue it was supposed to be. My first dye attempt it came out, well, a kind of lavender rose color. It wasn't an ugly color, just not what I was looking for. My wife said it was a nice "girley" color. Oyyyy.... That was after maybe 1/2 of soaking. So back to the dye pot, several times, comes out darker each time. I finally settled with a very dark, browish, purply color. Sound ugly, but it actually looks like dark leather. No kidding. Again, not at all the Dark Navy Blue I was hoping for, but at least not the girley lavender it started with.

But... just in case, I bought a replacement http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/300944778025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 from Ebay. It's fits the 521 perfectly, has the Nokia logo on it, arrived in about a week, and is a very good replacement back. The texture on it is not as slick as the original back, which I actually like better. That OEM back was a little too slippery to me...

Wild Bill Kelso

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Might want be careful with the "plastidip". The phone's buttons and little metal clips that hold the buttons in place seem pretty delicate and it's possible using plastidip might foul those up. Just saying, be careful...

I used Rit Dye on the back cover of my 521. It definitely works, but the color, well, didn't exactly come out to be the Navy Blue it was supposed to be. My first dye attempt it came out, well, a kind of lavender rose color. It wasn't an ugly color, just not what I was looking for. My wife said it was a nice "girley" color. Oyyyy.... That was after maybe 1/2 of soaking. So back to the dye pot, several times, comes out darker each time. I finally settled with a very dark, browish, purply color. Sound ugly, but it actually looks like dark leather. No kidding. Again, not at all the Dark Navy Blue I was hoping for, but at least not the girley lavender it started with.

But... just in case, I bought a replacement http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/300944778025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 from Ebay. It's fits the 521 perfectly, has the Nokia logo on it, arrived in about a week, and is a very good replacement back. The texture on it is not as slick as the original back, which I actually like better. That OEM back was a little too slippery to me...

I screwed up the link to the Ebay cover I bought. Hopefully this one works...
New Battery Back Cover Case Door for T Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 US White | eBay

If not, you can search for "nokia lumia 521 back cover" and the sellers name is "fricca"

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I really want to try the plastidip. I was hoping it would add an extra layer of protection without a case. When I watched the you tube vids it seemed like it would peel perfectly around emblems on cars. I wonder if the same is true of the buttons? Will be on my list once I get a spare. At a reasonable price of course. :)

Your dye idea is great just to color the white. Personally I would like the girly color!! :) I thought only "real" men could wear pink! Should have kept the girly color!!! Just fooling! LOL. :)

demontooth

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I really want to try the plastidip. I was hoping it would add an extra layer of protection without a case. When I watched the you tube vids it seemed like it would peel perfectly around emblems on cars. I wonder if the same is true of the buttons? Will be on my list once I get a spare. At a reasonable price of course. :)

Your dye idea is great just to color the white. Personally I would like the girly color!! :) I thought only "real" men could wear pink! Should have kept the girly color!!! Just fooling! LOL. :)

I used plastidip on the back of my Lumia 521. I didn't like the way it turned out so I peeled it off without a problem. I may try again soon.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I used plastidip on the back of my Lumia 521. I didn't like the way it turned out so I peeled it off without a problem. I may try again soon.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

So what didn't you like? Did it turn out messy, gloppy, lumpy, runny?? or did you not like the look, feel, color?? I watched several videos and the trick looked to be many thin coats with complete drying in between. Some applications looked better than others so it must be practice makes perfect! :) I just switched off to my Note for awhile. The 521 is taking a rest. The battery life of the 521 is spoiling my use of my androids. lol. Less than a week and I'm back with my 521!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre