3G/4G in Europe?

ozug

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I just moved to Sweden and have noticed that I can only get 2G speeds on my unlocked 521. Is this a problem with the frequencies supported by the 521? Does this mean it's impossible for me to get faster than 2G on my 521 in Sweden?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
You should contact the carrier and see what frequencies are needed.
Also you should check to see under settings->Cellular->Network is set to correct one and also Access Point information is correct.

These are bands the 521 does support.

2G/3G/4G Capable 850 MHz; 900 MHz; 1800 MHz; 1900 MHz
UMTS: Band II (1900); Band IV (1700/2100/AWS); Band V (850)

ozug

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I did speak to the service provider and they gave me the access point information that I was supposed to use. I noticed that when I go to the "access point" category on my settings, I have an option called "Comviq 3G" (which is my service provider), and I can view it but *not* edit it. When I view it, the MMS APN info is like they told me it should be (has the correct proxy address and proxy port), but the internet APN is blank under proxy address and proxy port while the company gave me a specific port number and address I am supposed to use. Should I create a new access point with the information they gave me? The problem is that they did not tell me what to enter under the "network type" or "authentication type" categories for creating a new access point, and did not tell me what to put under "connection name." When asking them what I should put under these categories, they told me that these categories should not have options and that I would need to contact Nokia. Problem is, Nokia does not seem to have any contact information for its US customers. Can you shed any light on this? I tried to create an access point with the info they gave me, leaving the other settings unchanged, but it didn't work.

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you try creating a new apn with a combination of the present apn and the changes/additions you need to make, save it, and give it a try.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I did speak to the service provider and they gave me the access point information that I was supposed to use. I noticed that when I go to the "access point" category on my settings, I have an option called "Comviq 3G" (which is my service provider), and I can view it but *not* edit it. When I view it, the MMS APN info is like they told me it should be (has the correct proxy address and proxy port), but the internet APN is blank under proxy address and proxy port while the company gave me a specific port number and address I am supposed to use. Should I create a new access point with the information they gave me? The problem is that they did not tell me what to enter under the "network type" or "authentication type" categories for creating a new access point, and did not tell me what to put under "connection name." When asking them what I should put under these categories, they told me that these categories should not have options and that I would need to contact Nokia. Problem is, Nokia does not seem to have any contact information for its US customers. Can you shed any light on this? I tried to create an access point with the info they gave me, leaving the other settings unchanged, but it didn't work.

I guess you already have this
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
but
. When you scroll down it gives you choices for "network type" if they didn't tell you need to ASK the EU provider since only they can provide that info and have them walk you thru the steps OR stop by one of their stores whoever it may be i.e. Vodafone, T Mobile, Virgin etc. these questions only they can answer - call or visit one of the provider's stores AGAIN.

50atomic

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I just moved to Sweden and have noticed that I can only get 2G speeds on my unlocked 521. Is this a problem with the frequencies supported by the 521? Does this mean it's impossible for me to get faster than 2G on my 521 in Sweden?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 521 does not support the frequencies Swedish carriers use for 3G which is mainly 2100 MHz and some 900 MHz. Your best bet would be to sell off the phone and get a 520 which supports both those frequencies. Good luck!

source: List of mobile network operators of Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ozug

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 521 does not support the frequencies Swedish carriers use for 3G which is mainly 2100 MHz and some 900 MHz. Your best bet would be to sell off the phone and get a 520 which supports both those frequencies. Good luck!

source: List of mobile network operators of Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't it though?

According to Nokia's website:

WCDMA network: 1700 - 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
You should add a new apn with this address internet.tele2.se

The mms setting is here https://www.comviq.se/kundservice/artikel?article=520

It seems like your phone supports the 2100mhz so it should work. Actually I don't know why the Lumia 521 doesn't sell here in Scandinavia (we get the 520). That's probably why it doesn't get the apn right.

(if you buy an 4g / lte you should read the specs carefully since there can be a lot of different frequencies it should support. Even the same carrier uses different lte bands (in Denmark we have 2 major lte bands and one minor)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6