Using a wired headset with Lumia 521

mrat93

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I recently got my girlfriend a Lumia 521 as an upgrade to her Nexus One. All in all, she loves it! I was a little concerned that should would have trouble adjusting to the WP environment.

However, there is one small issue. With her Nexus One, she was able to plug in a wired headset (in this case, Apple EarPods) to talk on the phone. Now, whenever plugging in that headset to the Lumia 521, both her, and the person she is calling hears a loud, high-pitched screeching sound. Does the Lumia not support wired headsets? Is this likely a hardware issue?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Lumia doesn't like Apple earpods or the other way.
Sadly US Customers do not get earphones within their package, buy an OEM earphone from ebay and you should be happy :)
Look for WH 208 Headset.

SlantNGo

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have two headsets designed for Apple products, one made by Altec Lansing, and one by Scorche. The Altec Lansing one works just fine with my Lumia, and only the headphones work with the Scorche.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Nokia uses TRRS configuration that has a pinout of Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground while Apple uses TRSR configuration that has a pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic. You need to get a TRRS adapter. It reverses the microphone and ground pins.

mrat93

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Nokia uses TRRS configuration that has a pinout of Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground while Apple uses TRSR configuration that has a pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic. You need to get a TRRS adapter. It reverses the microphone and ground pins.

Thanks so much for this info! Would you be able to provide a link to an adapter that would work? I tried looking it up, but there are some very similar adapters, and I don't want to buy the wrong type.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
The 521 is really picky about headphones.

I have a pair of cheapish Sony earbuds but work fine... but heres the one that really gets me.

I tried using the OEM nokia headphones from my 701, and nope they dont work.

I dont get that one at all.

vinceklein

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get any headset mics to work with either my old 920 or the 925 I currently own.
The mic is always dead on my Lumias. The mics work on all Androids I tested. Virtually all upper market headphones with mics are "made for iPhone" and also work on all Androids I tested.

Just how stupid are MS and Nokia to break compatibility with 99% of after-market headphone mics?
I would have hoped Nokia learn from the early day WP blunders.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get any headset mics to work with either my old 920 or the 925 I currently own.
The mic is always dead on my Lumias. The mics work on all Androids I tested. Virtually all upper market headphones with mics are "made for iPhone" and also work on all Androids I tested.

Just how stupid are MS and Nokia to break compatibility with 99% of after-market headphone mics?

I use a non microphone earphone, worked flawlessly on 'all' my phones, be it IOS, Droid or wp8, even my laptop.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

The original TRRS configuration was created by Nokia and it has been used from the beginning. Then Apple came along in typical elitist fashion and changed their pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic. Since then it has become the standard de facto.

vinceklein

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The original TRRS configuration was created by Nokia and it has been used from the beginning. Then Apple came along in typical elitist fashion and changed their pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic. Since then it has become the standard de facto.

Sure, that's a fact but all Android OEMs have acknowledged reality and made their devices compatible (at least mics) with made for iphone headphones.
Virtually every upper-market headphone/earphone with mic makes use of apple's bs standard so Nokia better come up with a solution bc nobody else will do it for them.

LanVy Nguyen

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
My thought exactly!

I finally gave up my warrior of a phone (The Android Galaxy 1) for a hunk of a junk:

1) Lumia has a terrible camera
2) it wont accept any of my headphones or buds
3) MS does not support Google Voice (MetroTalk is too slow and cumbersome to load)
4) Nokia HERE is a terrible excuse for a Nav system
5) SKYPE ( a MS owned product) can't figure out that a call has been picked up elsewhere and continues to ring during my conversations

Im just so glad I didn't waste money with the Lumia 9 series. I once saw a graphic that states it all: NOKIA was as written as "NOKID buys this phones."

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
My thought exactly!

I finally gave up my warrior of a phone (The Android Galaxy 1) for a hunk of a junk:

1) Lumia has a terrible camera
2) it wont accept any of my headphones or buds
3) MS does not support Google Voice (MetroTalk is too slow and cumbersome to load)
4) Nokia HERE is a terrible excuse for a Nav system
5) SKYPE ( a MS owned product) can't figure out that a call has been picked up elsewhere and continues to ring during my conversations

Im just so glad I didn't waste money with the Lumia 9 series. I once saw a graphic that states it all: NOKIA was as written as "NOKID buys this phones."

Away with this troll!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss