I bought a 521 as a gift for my father's wife. Neither he or her have a smart phone but she at least wanted one. Unfortunately I have hit a snag.

I'm not sure how the screen decides someone is actually touching it but the phone ignores her selections! Anyone else can work it with the slightest imaginable touch. So I'm wondering if she might not be human.

Now she does have a little instability in her movements on occasion but not most of the time. On a very few attempts I could see the tiles move ever so slightly and figured it might be confused about if she was swiping or clicking but I put my eye right up to the contact point and watched numerous seemingly perfect touches and unless these phones think movements too small to be seen by the human eye are swiping, the phone just won't take her selections 9 times out of 10. After working on this for a while she mentioned that when any of her friends try to show her pictures on their smart phones, she can't get them to move to from one picture to the next. She says it will start to move and then snap back as if she took her hand off. Now I did not see this so can't confirm that.

I tried both touch sensitivity settings and nothing changed.

Anyone ever heard of something like this and if so, is there a fix? Maybe a place that sells cadaver thumbs or something?
    10-15-2013 06:21 PM
    Turn touch sensitivity to normal but maybe her fingers have poor circulation and or are really cold. Does any other part of her body work lol, try the palm of her hand or something with more blood supply and warmth and see if that makes a difference but with touch sensitivity set to high it should allow her to even use her finger nails
    10-15-2013 06:45 PM
    Turn touch sensitivity to normal but maybe her fingers have poor circulation and or are really cold. Does any other part of her body work lol, try the palm of her hand or something with more blood supply and warmth and see if that makes a difference but with touch sensitivity set to high it should allow her to even use her finger nails
    Thanks.

I posted that I'd tried both touch sensitivity settings.

The temperature thing is interesting. Just what do the screens respond to? Is heat part of it? Some other form of energy field given off by a human body?

Its off topic but since lateral movement can be interpreted as swiping it seems like there should be some settings for people who have tremors from various conditions and diseases.
    10-15-2013 09:35 PM
    The screen produces an electrical field and reacts to anything that alters the field. Human skin affects it because it's mostly water. Most inanimate objects (like older touchscreen styli) don't work since the screen is not reacting to pressure. Does she have really dry skin?
    10-15-2013 11:32 PM
    The screen produces an electrical field and reacts to anything that alters the field. Human skin affects it because it's mostly water. Most inanimate objects (like older touchscreen styli) don't work since the screen is not reacting to pressure. Does she have really dry skin?
    Dry skin sounds like something to check. If I can't fix the fingers are there styluses for these types of screens because that might help a lot? Time to Bing (almost said Google...wash my mouth with soap).

Thanks.
    10-15-2013 11:50 PM
    I've heard there are special styli that work on capacitive screens, but since I've never seen one a search or recommendation from someone in this forum is a good idea.

Good luck!
    10-15-2013 11:56 PM