Camera Causes Lumia 521 Problems?

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Our Lumia 521 is acting up and I'm suspicious it's the camera. The camera doesn't respond, Settings won't open, and the phone hangs on 'Goodbye.'

Everything was working fine until this morning. We tried to use the camera and it didn't respond to either a screen tap or button. The phone then slowed down and froze on certain operations. For instance, Settings wouldn't open. When I tapped the Settings icon it went to a blank screen for a couple of seconds and then back to the menu. A restart (soft reset) hung on 'Goodbye' and the only way to restart was to hold the buttons down.

I tried two factory resets and removed and reinstalled the SIM card and battery. After the first factory reset there was a new entry in System Settings; it was the last menu item and had a long gibberish title starting with @. After the second factory reset the item wasn't there.

I'm not sure the camera causes these problems, but the phone works fine since the second reset. I've used the phone a lot and most of the apps but haven't touched the camera. The only other possible cause was an app I updated (Torch Pro) this morning. I've since uninstalled it. By the way, the phone is fully updated OS, firmware, and app-wise.

I'm reluctant to use the camera, even to test my theory, until I have more information. Could the camera or an app hanging up cause this? I appreciate any comments or suggestions about this frustrating situation.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Apps are sandboxed so they can't interact with other apps or modify the OS so as far as I know it can't be an app. That problem sounds like it's on a fundamental level. I would try the camera and if it acts up again either exchange it or if you're adventurous flash a rom on it.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Raccoon:

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I remember something about phones that had a specific app bricking with GDR2 (was it whatsapp?). I also remember people complaining about another one freezing their phones.

Anyway, I'll see if anyone else has had a similar problem and talk to Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire