Unlocking Nokia 521 using only the unlock code

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc521

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 521 that is currently locked to T-Mobile. I emailed T-Mobile yesterday requesting the unlock code for my phone and they replied today with the unlock code. I know that I can unlock the phone by inserting a non-Tmobile sim and entering the unlock code when prompted. I would prefer not to have to remove my case and back cover just to insert a new sim in order to unlock the phone. Is there a way to enter the unlock code provided by T-Mobile through any phone setting or app that would allow me to unlock the phone without having to remove my T-mobile sim first? Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide in performing the type of unlock I've described, if it's even possible.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately you need to insert a different carrier's SIM card and it has to be a working SIM card,
that's how it works.

Note: Most phones will limit the number of times you can attempt to enter an unlock code. When the number of attempts is exceeded, the phone will freeze/block and stop accepting further unlock attempts (the phone will still be usable on the original network). In some cases, unfreezing/unblocking the phone is possible, but it is not always worth the cost.

I think with Nokia phone is 3-10 attempts but when you insert a different SIM it will say how many attempts you have before it's bricked
I think this is what you'll see on a WP

Windows_Phone_Network_Lock.jpg

Last edited:

rc521

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately you need to insert a different carrier's SIM card and it has to be a working SIM card,
that's how it works.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I was just wishful thinking that it would be as easy as entering the unlock code through the settings without using another sim.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I might be out in left field, but what is the whole point of carrier unlocking your phone if you aren't switching carriers? The unlock code only allows you to use your device on another company's network. If you're switching, wouldn't you want to already have the new carrier's SIM before you did the unlock? If it's more of an issue with international travel and you DO need a different SIM, just unlock once you get that new lil card after you arrive.

And I may be wrong, but doesn't the back cover just snap off and back on?? It's made to be replaceable on the 52x. You can buy different colored covers from Nokia. Don't equate this to brain surgery, it's more like changing the batteries in your tv remote.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Selling an unlocked phone is more lucrative than one tied to a network
and your buying audience is larger.
If your carrier will provide you an unlock code, jump on it.

rc521

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I might be out in left field, but what is the whole point of carrier unlocking your phone if you aren't switching carriers? The unlock code only allows you to use your device on another company's network. If you're switching, wouldn't you want to already have the new carrier's SIM before you did the unlock? If it's more of an issue with international travel and you DO need a different SIM, just unlock once you get that new lil card after you arrive.
I'm not planning on switching carriers at the moment. I'm happy for now with T-Mobile's $30/month plan but I will be doing some international traveling next year and just wanted to have the phone unlocked ahead of time. Since T-Mobile already gave the unlock code I'll just use another carrier's sim to unlock the phone next year when I will need it for overseas travel. I was simply hoping there was a way to use the unlock code to unlock the phone now using only the code without having to swap sims.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not planning on switching carriers at the moment. I'm happy for now with T-Mobile's $30/month plan but I will be doing some international traveling next year and just wanted to have the phone unlocked ahead of time. Since T-Mobile already gave the unlock code I'll just use another carrier's sim to unlock the phone next year when I will need it for overseas travel. I was simply hoping there was a way to use the unlock code to unlock the phone now using only the code without having to swap sims.

You know T Mobile "unlimited data" ( depending on your data plan) and 20 cents a minute for overseas calls almost makes getting a SIM in Germany or Australia etc. hardly worth it anymore, texts are free and calls to US too.
I had got Vodafone SIM for a Nokia L925 while in Europe and calls were 10c a minute and data over $ 35 for the two weeks and it didn't include free texts and free calls to US. This was before T Mobile's free data worldwide plan.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Well, just borrow one from a buddy for a few minutes then..

Last edited:

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Buy a att gophone sim. I think they are free.
Better get some one sim and use it

Sent from my snow phone 520 (RM-914_im_india_269) using Tapatalk

AidenSurvival

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
...In which the user outside the states wouldn't qualify due to them not being in T-Mobile's US network. Your only option is to do a Google search to find out how.

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
You can unlock even with your T-Mobile SIM inserted.

Go to phone dialer, type ##7820 send

After some seconds you will see a closed padlock. Type in your 20-digit unlock code you got from T-Mobile and type the OK button at the right.

Restart you phone.

Type ##7820 send again - and you will see, that the padlock is now open.

rc521

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You can unlock even with your T-Mobile SIM inserted.

Go to phone dialer, type ##7820 send

After some seconds you will see a closed padlock. Type in your 20-digit unlock code you got from T-Mobile and type the OK button at the right.

Restart you phone.

Type ##7820 send again - and you will see, that the padlock is now open.
Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping someone could provide. I knew there had to be a way to enter the T-mobile unlock code without having to remove the current SIM. I followed your directions using the unlock code T-Mobile gave me and sure enough the padlock is now open. Thank you once again.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this. Thanks alexloe!!!

I had already moved my T-Mobile 521 sim card to my replacement 925 and thought I'd give it a try with no sim in the 521 before swapping the sim back. And yes, this even works without any sim. You do have to tap thru some extra no-sim warnings along the way, though.

Marco Sanchez2

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 521 that is currently locked to T-Mobile. I emailed T-Mobile yesterday requesting the unlock code for my phone and they replied today with the unlock code. I know that I can unlock the phone by inserting a non-Tmobile sim and entering the unlock code when prompted. I would prefer not to have to remove my case and back cover just to insert a new sim in order to unlock the phone. Is there a way to enter the unlock code provided by T-Mobile through any phone setting or app that would allow me to unlock the phone without having to remove my T-mobile sim first? Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide in performing the type of unlock I've described, if it's even possible.

Hi I have the same problem. I'm in Costa Rica and I have to unlock my lumia521. can you please give me the email address which u asked t-mobile for the unlock code, please!

rc521

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have the same problem. I'm in Costa Rica and I have to unlock my lumia521. can you please give me the email address which u asked t-mobile for the unlock code, please!
You have to log in to your t-mobile account first, then go to support and search for the unlock request link. Click on that link and it will open up a chat window for you to request the code. If you meet all the unlock requirements they will email you the unlock code within a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077