Install apps to SD Card. Microsoft really? Like seriously? "REALLY"?:(

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft really? Like seriously? "REALLY"?:(

Look at his avatar and the number of posts. He doesn't even deserve a reply.

Play nice boys. Many of us are cross-platform users and have likes and dislikes on each.

Its not the number of posts that shows your intelligence, its knowing when to shut up and let things slide...

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't think that will be possible in future. Why would Microsoft open such a great hole in OS security? We can't install apps from anywhere except Store and Store apps are checked before they are posted. And if we install apps to SD card, we could install the same SD card into our computer and modify an already installed app to do an interop unlock for us, for example. And it won't be cheked becasue it's already installed from Store and trusted within the system.

I can think of at least three different ways to verify that an installed app has not been modified in any way or to ensure that such modification is not possible at the outset (cryptographic hashing being one of them).

By the way, the fact that you can download a xap from the Windows Phone Store, transfer that over USB and install it disproves your point completely.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with the Nexus 4. Google should know better. They should at least include a microSD card slot.

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Not even Android let you save apps in your SD-Card unless is rooted.

I think you can , what you mean is after rooting you can move the app to a portion on the SD card (after portioning it) but for the start without rooting u can still move the app while not entirely (the data will remain on the internal memory) but the remaining of the app will be moved

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

A lot of people know that Google, Apple and even Amazon do not put SD card slots on their smartphones or tablets because Microsoft owns the patent on the file system that SD cards use and if you put a SD slot on a device you have to pay Microsoft a fee. Samsung (and maybe thats part of the reason they are the 1000pound gorilla in the smartphone arena), does put SD card slots on all their stuff. I think they are laughing all the way to the bank. And even though I don't own any Samsung devices I admire what they have accomplished. All my smartphones are WP8 and all my tablets are Android and I like it like that. Oh yea my computers are 8.1. No Apple stuff, but I have no problem with people who like Apple, just not for me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not as simple as taking the apps, and putting them over there! (a la patrick star)

The thing is that SD cards are all so different, ranging from the generic to the high speed class 10's. The result is that performance could then become a nightmare of inconsistency across cards.

Another thing is that SD cards are removable and swappable. Upgrade to a new card? POOF! Removed it to transfer media from you PC? Poof! Goodbye Modern Combat!

Security. This is a big one. WP is currently a tightly secured system and installing to an SD card can pose a security risk. Although they could be partitioned and encrypted, what if the end user wants their full storage back to use in something else?

I admit its possible and feasible but I'm worried it could introduce a degree of complexity and take from potentially other pressing things that need to be done with WP. Honestly, if MS does do it, I'll eat my words and applaud the addition of a very useful option.

Having used an HTC Aria with ~512 MB of memory on-board, I feel your pain. (that translates to only a handful of apps before running out of space, and I've used sd card solutions too)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Look at his avatar and the number of posts. He doesn't even deserve a reply.

Ya, and look at his posts. They are rubbish. His other posts are digging up a year old thread just for the hell of it. I'd say his motive is questionable.

These posts and others like them don't demonstrate the welcoming, friendly atmosphere that WPCentral prides itself on. I don't think three posts are enough (at least in most cases) to make a judgment on someone like this.

msoler, welcome to WPCentral. No, WP does not currently support installing apps on the SD card. I have seen at least one rumor that this was coming. I'm not sure how reliable that source is, though. Myself, I am not in favor of installing apps on the card, as cards vary in speed and quality, and Microsoft has done a lot to ensure a continually smooth and responsive experience. Unless they come up with a way to continue to ensure this, I am personally not in favor of installing apps on SD, because when a phone acts up people won't necessarily look at the source of the problem, but at the phone itself, and complain either to/about the carrier or the manufacturer of the phone, wrongly blaming them.

Unfortunately, you've bumped up against one of the down sides of buying a lower-end phone. I'm sorry the experience hasn't been what you'd hoped for.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Are they ever going to come out with an update, this 8 gigs on the main memory just isn't enough. I can't download as many apps as I want, because the micro sd card only saves songs, pictures, videos, and other items anything but apps..... Microsoft should know better, and is there any way to customize the SMS messages?

Thanks. :crying:

By the way, there is a way to maximize your 8gb (or whats usable). Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and haven't tried this yet myself but since I'm considering buying a phone that has even less storage (4gb HTC 8S) ive done some looking around and it appears that if you first download the app to an sd card first, then transfer it to phone storage it will leave you with more free memory than if you just downloaded it directly to your phone.

I'm kinda banking on this working cuz i like the 8S..Anyway, good luck. Hang n there. WP is great.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
By the way, there is a way to maximize your 8gb (or whats usable). Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and haven't tried this yet myself but since I'm considering buying a phone that has even less storage (4gb HTC 8S) ive done some looking around and it appears that if you first download the app to an sd card first, then transfer it to phone storage it will leave you with more free memory than if you just downloaded it directly to your phone.

I'm kinda banking on this working cuz i like the 8S..Anyway, good luck. Hang n there. WP is great.

You can't download apps from the store to an SD card -
even side loaded it still ends up taking up the same storage as if directly to the phone.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow you poor people in such denial. God forbid anyone points out Windows Phone's shortcomings otherwise they're a troll right? Grow up.

As for the OP, don't worry, both of those features are coming in 8.1. Now its just a matter of waiting.. And hoping Ms. Magenta doesn't block the update like she did for the HTC Radar and 7.8...

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
You can't download apps from the store to an SD card -
even side loaded it still ends up taking up the same storage as if directly to the phone.

Sorry, i had the method slightly incorrect. You download them to your computer, transfer to an sd card, then add them to your phone.

From what i have read in the WP forums, it does use less memory. Significantly less. Not an expert and dont want to be.. Give it a try, or not.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The op needs to remember that he purchased a low-end WP8. It works great for what it does. And if you want more games just delete the apps and games you don't use to make room. I haven't ran into much problems with the 512 meg of ram. Even with the samsung being unlocked in some resepcts, running apps off the sd card isn't possible. If you think about it though, having the apps on a sd card would probably promote warez. And if Microsoft wants more software developers and big companies to support their phones they have to look at that aspect of it too.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, i had the method slightly incorrect. You download them to your computer, transfer to an sd card, then add them to your phone.

From what i have read in the WP forums, it does use less memory. Significantly less. Not an expert and dont want to be.. Give it a try, or not.

no it'd take the same amount of space. the xap is copied to the phone and then installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz