Jumping Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
After a brief foray into the world of Windows phone I'm jumping ship for Android. I came to the 521 from iPhone 5. I didn't expect a low end model phone to match the performance of such a high end model, but in the end I couldn't make it work for me. Some of my issues are:
Random restarts. I heard this could be due to a loose battery.
App freezes. Happens more than I'd like.
Unresponsive apps. Sometimes I find apps just hanging and not responding to touch. Facebook is really bad. I almost always have press buttons 4 or 5 times to get them to respond.
Slow app loading. The phone is fairly responsive but the time it takes to load up apps is way long.
Random shut down. Numerous times I've pulled the phone out of my pocket to find "Goodbye" on the screen. I have to remove the back and pull the battery to get it working.

I really liked the Windows interface and contemplated just getting a better specked phone to see if it solved my main issues. The problem was that there weren't any affordable ones that had enough of a bump in specifications to make it worthwhile. Just not a cost effective solution.
I still have 3 other 521's in my household though. I'll see how the others like theirs. My daughter seems to like it just fine so far. Moto X and Android for me.....

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
After a brief foray into the world of Windows phone I'm jumping ship for Android. I came to the 521 from iPhone 5. I didn't expect a low end model phone to match the performance of such a high end model, but in the end I couldn't make it work for me. Some of my issues are:
Unresponsive apps. Sometimes I find apps just hanging and not responding to touch. Facebook is really bad. I almost always have press buttons 4 or 5 times to get them to respond.
Slow app loading. The phone is fairly responsive but the time it takes to load up apps is way long.
Random shut down. Numerous times I've pulled the phone out of my pocket to find "Goodbye" on the screen. I have to remove the back and pull the battery to get it working.

I really liked the Windows interface and contemplated just getting a better specked phone to see if it solved my main issues. The problem was that there weren't any affordable ones that had enough of a bump in specifications to make it worthwhile. Just not a cost effective solution.
I still have 3 other 521's in my household though. I'll see how the others like theirs. My daughter seems to like it just fine so far. Moto X and Android for me.....

If you're gonna buy a low end Andriod phone then it's gonna be a similar story

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure that Moto X is low end. Certainly it's way above the 521 in specifications. I don't think my phone is defective because as far as I can tell I'm getting similar behavior from the other 3 in my house. I guess I was just used to the iPhone which just always worked.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Good luck and I hope you find a better phone solution. I still have my L920 I got on release and its performance is still outstanding 15 months later. You might be able to find one for a good price if you want to stay with WP.

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure that Moto X is low end. Certainly it's way above the 521 in specifications. I don't think my phone is defective because as far as I can tell I'm getting similar behavior from the other 3 in my house. I guess I was just used to the iPhone which just always worked.

Huh...weird. I personally have a 520 but to be honest I use it mostly as my jogging music player. It never did something weird like that but maybe I just don't use it enough. My main is a 1020 which works great.

Enjoy your next phone though :) I am sad that you got a wrong impression of WP (crashes/app freezes/etc are just not common at all).

Anyway, we are here if you ever want to give WP another try!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, my sister's 521 has been mostly fine.

But anyways, the Moto X is still a fine device, I've been toying with picking up the Moto G or maybe an older Nexus someday

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520 and have never experienced your problem. I suggest you take it back to your supplier and have it replaced.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

To be truthful , the problems you are facing is purely a bad device problem. I have a 520 as backup phone and another one is 1520. Both my phones work flawlessly and am some times amazed how awesome 520 handles app even though it has low specs.

But anyways , best of luck , respect ur choice

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a 521 and a 925, both are excellent phones, a non-initiated restart occurs maybe twice in a year. The 521 is an excellent phone, and I'm also quite impressed, especially when WP 8.1 releases and you can install apps on the external memory, HUGE advantage.

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I also have a 521, which is a very low-end Win8 phone, and I've seen it outperform Android devices that cost several times as much. It's also been 100% stable and very responsive. Like other said, you most likely have bad hardware.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The random restart I've seen on 2 of our 4 phones. The slow app launch is on all of them and likely just a result of the low power of the phone. The unresponsiveness of Facebook buttons I've also repeated on all 4. I love the physical camera button on the phone and the ability to launch the camera with a physical button. It still takes longer to boot up the camera than my iPhone did though. The shutter lag is also quite a bit more. The image quality and accuracy of the autofocus is quite good though.

I almost went with a used Lumia 920 because it looks like a phone that could fix all the quirks with the 521. Unfortunately finding one with the T Mobile bands at a reasonable price seems impossible. If Android doesn't work out then I might look to go that route anyway. This will be my first attempt at an android phone. I'm keeping the 521 as a backup in case I really hate the Android. I don't think I will though.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with those who say this sounds like a defective device and not something related to WP8. I wish the user would at least attempt a replacement before jumping ship just to confirm, but oh well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with those who say this sounds like a defective device and not something related to WP8. I wish the user would at least attempt a replacement before jumping ship just to confirm, but oh well.

but it saddens me to see the stories of the unfortunate going through eight defective Palm Pres, several 928's, a couple 925's (if my memory serves me correctly)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a defective unit, but then again I don't think this was destined to go well when you come from a 600$ phone to a 100$ phone :p

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess the OP hasn't heard of the Icon or 1520. And seriously, comparing iPhone 5 to a low end WP budget phone? If you want a fair comparison try 1520/icon vs iPhone or any Android phone and see who comes out on top.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Icon and 1520 aren't available on T Mobile. The 925 was way expensive. Almost in iPhone territory. I'd have loved to get a used 920 but T Mobile ones were non existent. I liked the 521 a lot. It's a great little phone for the price. For the record I'm not trying to compare the 521 to anything else. I'm just relaying my experience with the phone. If it's just a matter of getting a bad one then I got 4 bad ones. If I got 4 bad ones then I'm not sure I want another Nokia. My guess is that I got 4 good phones with a couple of them having some glitches. Nothing awful but enough to make me look elsewhere. Unfortunately Windows phone doesn't have a mid 300 dollar price phone. You either spend less than a hundred bucks or over 500. Not much in between. If there were some good mid range options or even some used high end options decently priced I'd have likely given Windows phone another try. Maybe Moto X won't be to my liking either. Will have to wait and see. If I'm going to have to spend over 500 bucks on a phone to get something I like I'll probably go back to iPhone as I know that they just work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3