Lumia 521 unlock + Europe usage?!

Serb24

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,
I know there have been discussion about these issues on forum, but I hope you won't mind me ask it again in order to fully understand. :smile:

1. My friend bought in Best Buy - USA, and immediately shipped me lumia 521 (T-Mobile locked) in Europe. Is there any possible chance for T-mobile to send me unlock code, because I don't satisfy their unlock requirements, or will I have to seek help from a third party. In that case which online service would you suggest me, to be certain not to waste my money?

2. I understand there are some band issues concerning lumia 521 when using with Europe GSM operators. Can you please explain it to me thoroughly, what would my phone lack of, because I don't understand it from previous posts, and is it worth it.

Thanks alot!

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
As far as unlock codes its a tossup. Some Rep's will help, some won't. Some unlock services are good, some aren't, some are in the grey. I once bought a code for an LG Quantum of eBay for 99 cents. But results may vary.

As far as cellular bands, the 521 supports:

2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G/4G HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Check with your operaror or look at phones on their network to see what bands they use (and for what), then compare. If they support most of them i'd think you'd be good. It all depends.

alexloe

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

That's not correct.

It supports HSDPA 850 / 1700-2100 / 1900

1700-2100 is not the same as 2100 - Lumia 521 will not work in any 3G network in Europe - it works on GSM only.

Maurice Alexander

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

1. Yes, you can unlock the Nokia Lumia 521, however, you would need to purchase an unlock code from a third party website. I have a Nokia Lumia 521, purchased it from Amazon.com and purchased an unlock code from CellPhoneUnlock.net | Unlock Cell Phone | #1 Cell Phone Unlock to any GSM Network .It was a little expensive ($40 US Dollars) and it took them about 2 weeks to deliver me the unlock code. (I placed my unlock code order on November 24 and got the code on December 6). They e-mailed me with the unlock code for my device, inserted a foreign SIM, imputed the unlock code and, voila! My phone was unlocked with no hassle at all.
2. Think about the frequencies like AC power plugs, America has one style and Europe has different ones. If you try to plug your American electrical device to an, let's say an Ukrainian power socket (not familiar with those to be honest) chances are that, you might be able to charge your device, or you might not. Same as frequencies, this phone is design to work with certain frequencies. If your carrier frequencies are the same as this device, you will be able to enjoy full services (Talk/SMS/MMS/Internet) However, if your carrier has different frequencies than this phone, chances are that you might be only able to enjoy talk and SMS, meaning no Internet or MMS. It all depends on your service provider.

Serb24

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I wonder how these services get those unlock codes. It must be from T-mobile directly. Now thats one hell of a busines. They charge cca $50 per code, and buy it probably for only couple bucks. It is insane to pay for the unlock code almost as much as for the device, and in my case to be even denied 3g service due to different band coverage..

Serb24

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, has anybody out here wondered or maybe has knowledge of how these services (not carriers) generate unlock codes? I would be more than eager to learn that.

Maurice Alexander

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
They either contact the carrier or the manufacture to get those codes. I worked for a mobile carrier and both customer support and the IT department have access to unlock codes.(however, this varies, of course)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa